Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Tapas Mishra

Default what to do if network connection breaks between an upgrade

I edited the sources.lst changed lucid to maverick
and did apt dist-upgrade
it connected and started doing every thing .
I have plans of doing this on other systems also in case if some thing
goes wrong such as a power cut or
network connection errupts in between or say I had to shutdown the
machine or machine did reboot for some God knows reason
then what step should I take to resume the upgrade from where it
stopped or can I undo this entire thing.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Alan Pope

On 4 October 2010 13:43, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I edited the sources.lst changed lucid to maverick
> *and did apt dist-upgrade

That's not the way we recommend doing upgrades. We recommend using
update-manager or do-release-upgrade.

> it connected and started doing every thing .
> I have plans of doing this on other systems also in case if some thing
> goes wrong such as a power cut or
> network connection errupts in between or say I had to shutdown the
> machine or machine did reboot for some God knows reason
> then what step should I take to resume the upgrade from where it
> stopped or can I undo this entire thing.

You can't easily undo it once it starts. If it's still doing downloads
when the power/network goes then just restart it, but if the power
goes whilst packages are actually installing then the result depends
on which packages it's doing at the time. It's hard to give a blanket
answer to that question because upgrades can break in a bazillion
different ways depending on when it failed.

However in general if an upgrade breaks due to power loss, I'd boot up
and if you can get to a gui or console then use the package management
tools to continue what they were doing.

That said if you're asking this question then you're exactly the kind
of person who should _not_ be running Maverick (which isn't released
yet) as I specified in my previous mail.

Al.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:12 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Mon, October 4, 2010 14:49, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 4 October 2010 13:43, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I edited the sources.lst changed lucid to maverick *and did apt
>> dist-upgrade
>
> That's not the way we recommend doing upgrades. We recommend using
> update-manager or do-release-upgrade.

Since the OP is into editing files, I'd recommend do-release-upgrade:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/upgrade

do-release-upgrade is the command that is used for server upgrades, but
there is no functional difference for the desktop or netbook edition. Only
the user interface is different (text vs gui).

Alan is right: do NOT edit sources.lst!!! There is more to upgrading
Ubuntu than just switching repositories.

>> it connected and started doing every thing . I have plans of doing this
>> on other systems also in case if some thing goes wrong such as a power
>> cut or network connection errupts in between or say I had to shutdown
>> the machine or machine did reboot for some God knows reason then what
>> step should I take to resume the upgrade from where it stopped or can I
>> undo this entire thing.
>>

> You can't easily undo it once it starts. If it's still doing downloads
> when the power/network goes then just restart it,

From my personal experience: I upgraded a netbook while I had a flakey
wifi connection. It dropped every few minutes. This was my scenario:

Download Phase:
1. do-release-upgrade
2. The upgrade prepares sources.lst and makes backup copies.
3. The upgrade calculates dependencies. I agree to continue.
4. Packages are downloaded.
5. CONNECTION BREAKS
6. Upgrade rolls back sources.lst to its original state. It keeps the
files that were already downloaded.
7. Repeat from 1. until everything is downloaded
(I had to do this 4 or 5 times)

Install Phase:
8. Upgrade starts installing packages. NETWORK CONNECTION IS NO LONGER
NEEDED.
9. Upgrade finished, reboot because of the new kernel.
10. Done!!!

A _network_ failure in the Download Phase is annoying, but Ubuntu is smart
enough to recover. A network failure in the Install Phase does not matter
at all.

> but if the power goes whilst packages are actually installing then the
> result depends on which packages it's doing at the time. It's hard to
> give a blanket answer to that question because upgrades can break in a
> bazillion different ways depending on when it failed.
>
> However in general if an upgrade breaks due to power loss, I'd boot up
> and if you can get to a gui or console then use the package management
> tools to continue what they were doing.

If you fear a _power_ failure: make a backup of /etc/apt/sources.list and
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list before you start.

If you have a power failure in the download phase: just restore the
/etc/apt files, run aptitude update followed by do-release-upgrade. It'll
be just like a network failure but you really need to restore your apt
files manually.

If you have a power failure in the install phase: I'd do aptitude update +
do-release-upgrade + aptitude full-upgrade to see what errors it reports.
Best case scenario is that it continues the upgrade, worst case scenario
is that you get a very detailed report that you can copy/paste to this
list for further assistance.

> That said if you're asking this question then you're exactly the kind of
> person who should _not_ be running Maverick (which isn't released yet) as
> I specified in my previous mail.

Agreed, Maverick Beta is not for people who don't know how to troubleshoot
but nonetheless network/power failures may also occur when it is release.

--
Amedee

Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
<amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
.......snip.............
> If you fear a _power_ failure: make a backup of /etc/apt/sources.list and
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list before you start.
>
> If you have a power failure in the download phase: just restore the
> /etc/apt files, run aptitude update followed by do-release-upgrade. It'll
> be just like a network failure but you really need to restore your apt
> files manually.
>
> If you have a power failure in the install phase: I'd do aptitude update +
> do-release-upgrade + aptitude full-upgrade to see what errors it reports.
> Best case scenario is that it continues the upgrade, worst case scenario
> is that you get a very detailed report that you can copy/paste to this
> list for further assistance.
Ok this is what I was looking for.No problem list I am an experienced
user and I always have an old copy of
stable Ubuntu on one partition working so that if I mess up some
where I am always in a position to recover.
I asked this question out of curiosity.
Thanks.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:49:56 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

> On 4 October 2010 13:43, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I edited the sources.lst changed lucid to maverick
> > *and did apt dist-upgrade
>
> That's not the way we recommend doing upgrades. We recommend using
> update-manager or do-release-upgrade.

Recommendations aside, doesn't the 'apt-get upgrade' method work just as
well? Doesn't one need 'dist-upgrade' for it to succeed?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Alan Pope

On 4 October 2010 15:45, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Recommendations aside, doesn't the 'apt-get upgrade' method work just as
> well?

do-release-upgrade and update-manager have additional code paths to
work around common issues that might occur during upgrades.

Whilst a search and replace on sources.list, apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade _might_ work, and work just fine, we don't recommend it,
that's all.

I have personally upgraded machines via that method, and even upgraded
from something like 8.10 to 9.10 skipping 9.04, I'm okay with fixing
things myself when they break. Of course your system is your system,
if you want to try the un-recommended path, then go right ahead, it's
only a recommendation after all.

>*Doesn't one need 'dist-upgrade' for it to succeed?

Yes, apt-get dist-upgrade is preferable to apt-get upgrade in the
instance of upgrading a machine from one release to another.

Al.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:15 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Mon, October 4, 2010 16:59, Alan Pope wrote:

> do-release-upgrade and update-manager have additional code paths to
> work around common issues that might occur during upgrades.

Alan,

Your email just crossed mine.
What are these additional code paths? Could you please elaborate on that?
It will help to explain why some things are recommended and others are not.

--
Amedee

Old 10-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
<amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> What are these additional code paths? Could you please elaborate on that?
> It will help to explain why some things are recommended and others are not.
Ya this is what I am also curious to know I am doing all this for fun.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Alan Pope

On 4 October 2010 16:15, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> Your email just crossed mine.
> What are these additional code paths? Could you please elaborate on that?
> It will help to explain why some things are recommended and others are not.

I'm trying to find an article Colin Watson wrote about this, but I'm
failing. The one example I can give is that update-manager and
do-release-upgrade both disable 3rd party repositories (in
/etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* for example)
before doing the upgrade.

However the benefit of this stuff is that it's open source

apt-get source update-manager-core

Have a rummage in ./update-manager-*/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeQuirks.py

Al.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Mon, October 4, 2010 17:32, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 4 October 2010 16:15, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be>
> wrote:
>> Your email just crossed mine.
>> What are these additional code paths? Could you please elaborate on
>> that?
>> It will help to explain why some things are recommended and others are
>> not.
>>

> I'm trying to find an article Colin Watson wrote about this, but I'm
> failing. The one example I can give is that update-manager and
> do-release-upgrade both disable 3rd party repositories (in
> /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* for example)
> before doing the upgrade.
>
> However the benefit of this stuff is that it's open source
>
> apt-get source update-manager-core
>
> Have a rummage in ./update-manager-*/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeQuirks.py

Thanks!
I speak a little programmese, so I understand what is going on. It
confirms what I already suspected.