Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Tapas Mishra

Default usb to use with Mac Ubuntu and Windows

I am having a 160 GB USB
created 2 partitions on it.
One of 150Gb another of 10GB.
I formatted the bigger partition on a Mac as Mac Journaling Filesystem
I could not use that on my Ubuntu laptop.
I also have to use this USB with Windows machines also what filesystem
type should I choose for the bigger driver.
The file I will store will be greater than 10Gb and continuous.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Franz Waldmüller

Hi Tapas,

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I am having a 160 GB USB
> created 2 partitions on it.
> One of 150Gb another of 10GB.
> I formatted the bigger partition on a Mac as Mac Journaling Filesystem
> I could not use that on my Ubuntu laptop.
> I also have to use this USB with Windows machines also what filesystem
> type should I choose for the bigger driver.
> The file I will store will be greater than 10Gb and continuous.

There is a windows file system driver for ext2/ext3 filesystems. But the
easiest way would be to format the partition to NTFS. The ntfs-3g driver
in Linux works very good. Don't forget to always "savely remove the
external drive from windows and linux" (proper unmounting). Otherwise
the filesystem gets corrupted and ubuntu won't mount it.

Franz

Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Franz Waldmüller

Franz Waldmüller wrote:
> Hi Tapas,
>
> Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> I am having a 160 GB USB
>> created 2 partitions on it.
>> One of 150Gb another of 10GB.
>> I formatted the bigger partition on a Mac as Mac Journaling Filesystem
>> I could not use that on my Ubuntu laptop.
>> I also have to use this USB with Windows machines also what filesystem
>> type should I choose for the bigger driver.
>> The file I will store will be greater than 10Gb and continuous.
>>
> There is a windows file system driver for ext2/ext3 filesystems. But the
> easiest way would be to format the partition to NTFS. The ntfs-3g driver
> in Linux works very good. Don't forget to always "savely remove the
> external drive from windows and linux" (proper unmounting). Otherwise
> the filesystem gets corrupted and ubuntu won't mount it.
>
> Franz

I don't know which filesystems are supported by MacOSX. You will have to
search on your own.
My solution was just for sharing data between Windows and Linux.
Franz

Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM
kristau

FAT32 is the lowest common denominator across Linux/Mac/Windows. NTFS
is a close second, but not sure how well Mac supports that out of the
box. On my older MacBook Pro I had to install MacFUSE to be able to
read/write NTFS, and it is Very Slow. Would be curious if the latest
greatest Macs finally support NTFS OOTB, or if you still need MacFUSE.
--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:18 AM, kristau <kristau@gmail.com> wrote:
> FAT32 is the lowest common denominator across Linux/Mac/Windows. NTFS
> is a close second, but not sure how well Mac supports that out of the
> box. On my older MacBook Pro I had to install MacFUSE to be able to
> read/write NTFS, and it is Very Slow. Would be curious if the latest
> greatest Macs finally support NTFS OOTB, or if you still need MacFUSE.
I can not use FAT32 since my files are more than 10GB in size.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Yieo Pompernickle

* Tapas Mishra (2010-10-05 07:39):

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:18 AM, kristau <kristau@gmail.com> wrote:
> > FAT32 is the lowest common denominator across Linux/Mac/Windows.
> > NTFS is a close second, but not sure how well Mac supports that out
> > of the box. On my older MacBook Pro I had to install MacFUSE to be
> > able to read/write NTFS, and it is Very Slow. Would be curious if
> > the latest greatest Macs finally support NTFS OOTB, or if you still
> > need MacFUSE.
> I can not use FAT32 since my files are more than 10GB in size.

I'm using one big Mac partition for my giant mac files and a smaller
FAT32 partition for portability between Mac/Win/Linux. This works for
me, since I don't normally have to write giant files to the USB disk
from a Linux system - only the other way around. Both are readable on
both platforms. However, the need is sure to arise one day, to transfer
a big file from the Linux machine.

When that day comes, I will probably look into something like hfs /
hfsplus to write to the Mac partition. Or does anybode else have a
better idea?

--
Yieo Pompernickle
yieo@online.no