Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Different bevahiour by USB falsh drives formatted in ext3/4 and Windows' formats

I noticed this for a while but after doing this today to confirm my
observations, I thought I would mention this because there was some
discussion recently about how to properly remove an USB flash disc from
Ubuntu (at least 10.04 which I am now using). The same applies, BTW, to
an external USB HD.

When the device is plugged in, or switched on in the case of the HD, the
appropriate icon appears on the workspace (desktop) and nautilus runs
and shows the contents of the device. All normal. In nautilus the device
shows up in the left-hand-most panel with a pyramid-looking "up pointer"
at the end of the device name.

However, as you know, when it comes to 'disconnecting' such a device,
one has to "Safely remove" the device and not simply "Eject" it or just
pull it out of the connection on the computer (or switch off the
external USB HD).

If the device is formatted in ext3/4 then you can right-click on the
*icon on the workspace* and select "Safely remove" - and watch the light
on the flash disc or the HD if you want to ensure that any unwritten
data has been written to the device and the device can then be "removed"
from the system.

However, if the device has been formatted in FAT/ntfs then using the
above method results in an error message stating that the device cannot
be accessed (or some such - I'm working from memory). What you need to
do is to either go to Places>(device) which will start nautilus or to
nautilus itself and use the "up pointer" at the end of the device name
to Safely Remove the device.

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Basil Chupin wrote:
> I noticed this for a while but after doing this today to confirm my
> observations, I thought I would mention this because there was some
> discussion recently about how to properly remove an USB flash disc from
> Ubuntu (at least 10.04 which I am now using). The same applies, BTW, to
> an external USB HD.
>
> When the device is plugged in, or switched on in the case of the HD, the
> appropriate icon appears on the workspace (desktop) and nautilus runs
> and shows the contents of the device. All normal. In nautilus the device
> shows up in the left-hand-most panel with a pyramid-looking "up pointer"
> at the end of the device name.
>
> However, as you know, when it comes to 'disconnecting' such a device,
> one has to "Safely remove" the device and not simply "Eject" it or just
> pull it out of the connection on the computer (or switch off the
> external USB HD).
>
> If the device is formatted in ext3/4 then you can right-click on the
> *icon on the workspace* and select "Safely remove" - and watch the light
> on the flash disc or the HD if you want to ensure that any unwritten
> data has been written to the device and the device can then be "removed"
> from the system.
>
> However, if the device has been formatted in FAT/ntfs then using the
> above method results in an error message stating that the device cannot
> be accessed (or some such - I'm working from memory). What you need to
> do is to either go to Places>(device) which will start nautilus or to
> nautilus itself and use the "up pointer" at the end of the device name
> to Safely Remove the device.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Basil, but all of my FAT32 USB drive, and
the 2 partition FAT32/NTFS USB HDD all have the Safely Remove option;
which works correctly. On Ubuntu 10.4...
Maybe you standing on your head?

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy in the internet.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Basil Chupin

On 06/10/2010 07:31, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I noticed this for a while but after doing this today to confirm my
>> observations, I thought I would mention this because there was some
>> discussion recently about how to properly remove an USB flash disc from
>> Ubuntu (at least 10.04 which I am now using). The same applies, BTW, to
>> an external USB HD.

[pruned]

> Sorry to burst your bubble, Basil, but all of my FAT32 USB drive, and
> the 2 partition FAT32/NTFS USB HDD all have the Safely Remove option;
> which works correctly. On Ubuntu 10.4...
> Maybe you standing on your head?

Nope - it's reproducible. Tried it a few times before posting (as I
already mentioned).

BC

Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Basil Chupin

On 06/10/2010 07:31, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I noticed this for a while but after doing this today to confirm my
>> observations, I thought I would mention this because there was some
>> discussion recently about how to properly remove an USB flash disc from
>> Ubuntu (at least 10.04 which I am now using). The same applies, BTW, to
>> an external USB HD.
>>
>> When the device is plugged in, or switched on in the case of the HD, the
>> appropriate icon appears on the workspace (desktop) and nautilus runs
>> and shows the contents of the device. All normal. In nautilus the device
>> shows up in the left-hand-most panel with a pyramid-looking "up pointer"
>> at the end of the device name.
>>
>> However, as you know, when it comes to 'disconnecting' such a device,
>> one has to "Safely remove" the device and not simply "Eject" it or just
>> pull it out of the connection on the computer (or switch off the
>> external USB HD).
>>
>> If the device is formatted in ext3/4 then you can right-click on the
>> *icon on the workspace* and select "Safely remove" - and watch the light
>> on the flash disc or the HD if you want to ensure that any unwritten
>> data has been written to the device and the device can then be "removed"
>> from the system.
>>
>> However, if the device has been formatted in FAT/ntfs then using the
>> above method results in an error message stating that the device cannot
>> be accessed (or some such - I'm working from memory). What you need to
>> do is to either go to Places>(device) which will start nautilus or to
>> nautilus itself and use the "up pointer" at the end of the device name
>> to Safely Remove the device.
>>

> Sorry to burst your bubble, Basil, but all of my FAT32 USB drive, and
> the 2 partition FAT32/NTFS USB HDD all have the Safely Remove option;
> which works correctly. On Ubuntu 10.4...
> Maybe you standing on your head?

A follow-up to my earlier response, here is a screenshot of the error
message when one tries to Safely Remove an USB formatted in FAT:

http://picpaste.com/fat_usb-D5gjWQLK.png

BC

@MODERATOR: please delete the message awaiting your "looksee" because it
exceeded the size limit when I posted the above as an attachment. Sorry
about that.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 06/10/2010 07:31, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed this for a while but after doing this today to confirm my
>>> observations, I thought I would mention this because there was some
>>> discussion recently about how to properly remove an USB flash disc from
>>> Ubuntu (at least 10.04 which I am now using). The same applies, BTW, to
>>> an external USB HD.
>>>
>>> When the device is plugged in, or switched on in the case of the HD, the
>>> appropriate icon appears on the workspace (desktop) and nautilus runs
>>> and shows the contents of the device. All normal. In nautilus the device
>>> shows up in the left-hand-most panel with a pyramid-looking "up pointer"
>>> at the end of the device name.
>>>
>>> However, as you know, when it comes to 'disconnecting' such a device,
>>> one has to "Safely remove" the device and not simply "Eject" it or just
>>> pull it out of the connection on the computer (or switch off the
>>> external USB HD).
>>>
>>> If the device is formatted in ext3/4 then you can right-click on the
>>> *icon on the workspace* and select "Safely remove" - and watch the light
>>> on the flash disc or the HD if you want to ensure that any unwritten
>>> data has been written to the device and the device can then be "removed"
>>> from the system.
>>>
>>> However, if the device has been formatted in FAT/ntfs then using the
>>> above method results in an error message stating that the device cannot
>>> be accessed (or some such - I'm working from memory). What you need to
>>> do is to either go to Places>(device) which will start nautilus or to
>>> nautilus itself and use the "up pointer" at the end of the device name
>>> to Safely Remove the device.
>>>

>> Sorry to burst your bubble, Basil, but all of my FAT32 USB drive, and
>> the 2 partition FAT32/NTFS USB HDD all have the Safely Remove option;
>> which works correctly. On Ubuntu 10.4...
>> Maybe you standing on your head?
>>

> A follow-up to my earlier response, here is a screenshot of the error
> message when one tries to Safely Remove an USB formatted in FAT:
>
> http://picpaste.com/fat_usb-D5gjWQLK.png

Hmmm, yep. You got problems. But unfortunately, I know not where you
should start.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Basil Chupin

On 08/10/2010 05:08, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:

[prune]

>> However, if the device has been formatted in FAT/ntfs then using the
>>>>

>>> Sorry to burst your bubble, Basil, but all of my FAT32 USB drive, and
>>> the 2 partition FAT32/NTFS USB HDD all have the Safely Remove option;
>>> which works correctly. On Ubuntu 10.4...
>>> Maybe you standing on your head?
>>>

>> A follow-up to my earlier response, here is a screenshot of the error
>> message when one tries to Safely Remove an USB formatted in FAT:
>>
>> http://picpaste.com/fat_usb-D5gjWQLK.png
>>

> Hmmm, yep. You got problems. But unfortunately, I know not where you
> should start.

It's not a problem at all. Doing what I stated in my OP by going to
Places or starting File Manager and safely removing the device from
there works perfectly.

BC

--
Went to a discount massage parlour the other day. Wasn't 'til I paid me money that I found out that it was self-service.