Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default about new release which will be on 10th Oct

Hi,I am curious to try out�the new release of 10.10�as mentioned herehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule
what do I need to be able to upgrade to the latest release.I am using 64 bit 10.04

Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Alan Pope

On 4 October 2010 11:50, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am curious to try out*the new release of 10.10
> as mentioned here
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule
> what do I need to be able to upgrade to the latest release.
> I am using 64 bit 10.04

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/upgrade

That page will be updated once released.

I would recommend waiting until a day or two after the release when
the mirrors calm down a bit. More technically competent users can
upgrade prior to release.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Tapas Mishra

If I am not mistaken
do-release-upgrade -d
should do the job.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Tapas Mishra

Ok here is an article I came across.
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-1010-maverick.html
Should help any one who comes across this thread.
I can't wait any more to upgrade.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Alan Pope

On 4 October 2010 13:14, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok here is an article I came across.
> http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-1010-maverick.html
> Should help any one who comes across this thread.
> I can't wait any more to upgrade.

That site is clearly run by idiots. I'd avoid it.

Al.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 4 October 2010 13:14, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok here is an article I came across.
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-1010-maverick.html
>> Should help any one who comes across this thread.
>> I can't wait any more to upgrade.
>
> That site is clearly run by idiots. I'd avoid it.

Just posted the following:
Please correct this silly post asap. You can either do 1 or 2 to
upgrade to Maverick. Doing both doesn't make any sense! (For a desktop
install, you'll have to add "-m desktop" unless the default behavior
of do-release-upgrade has changed since I last used it with Jaunty.)

Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 08:56, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 4 October 2010 13:14, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok here is an article I came across.
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-1010-maverick.html
>> Should help any one who comes across this thread.
>> I can't wait any more to upgrade.
>>

> That site is clearly run by idiots. I'd avoid it.

Well, they DID mention that was for doing an upgrade to the Maverick
packages before the first Alpha ISO was available...

OTOH, yeah, much easier to just edit update-releases and do a
do-release-upgrade -d or update-manager -d

However, for the OP, I'd suggest, as others have, to just wait until
after the 10th. At this point, the hope is that everything is mostly
fixed (and a couple exceptions, it seems so) but 10.10 won't
officially exist until the 10th... until then, it's still an unstable
beta and should be treated as such...

Cheers
Jeff

Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Alan Pope

On 4 October 2010 14:17, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, they DID mention that was for doing an upgrade to the Maverick
> packages before the first Alpha ISO was available...

But the internet doesn't forget. The fact that the OP has used that as
a guide to upgrading proves my point.

> However, for the OP, I'd suggest, as others have, to just wait until
> after the 10th. *At this point, the hope is that everything is mostly
> fixed (and a couple exceptions, it seems so) but 10.10 won't
> officially exist until the 10th... until then, it's still an unstable
> beta and should be treated as such...

Indeed. Good advice.

Al.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

>> That site is clearly run by idiots. I'd avoid it.
>
> Just posted the following:
> Please correct this silly post asap. You can either do 1 or 2 to
> upgrade to Maverick. Doing both doesn't make any sense! (For a desktop
> install, you'll have to add "-m desktop" unless the default behavior
> of do-release-upgrade has changed since I last used it with Jaunty.)

By the time I saw your message I had updated my system
I replaced occurence of word lucid by maverick in sources.lst
and apt-get dist upgrade every thing including my wifi seems to work perfectly
did I do any thing wong?
Or what happened to my system?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Kai Presler-Marshall

Open a terminal, then enter: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Enter your PW and tell it to download the packages