Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default 100% memory consumption in firefox

Firefox consumes 100% memory while watching following web pageshttps://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/ubuntu+list/12b6bfd6bd7b8b81
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ravelhttp://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&q=ravel
above 3 are the only pages that were open on my system.
After reporting a problem in *a previous thread about 100% memory consumption in firefox I disabled most of the addons.

Harware*

Dell Inspiron 1440.

Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit

Firefox 3.6.8

Extensions

* * * Google Toolbar for Firefox 7.1.20100830L

* * * TheFreeDictionarycom Community Toolbar 3.1.0.12

* * * Conduit Engine 3.1.0.12

Theme

* * * Default 3.6.8

Plugins

* * * Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible;Totem)

* * * VLC Multimedia Plugin(compatible Totem 2.30.2)

* * * Shockwave Flash (10.1 r82)

* * * QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6

It has become so difficult to stay in firefox that I am using chrome to type this mail.I do not want to switch to any other browser why is this behavior of firefox?

--

Tapas

Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Basil Chupin

On 04/10/2010 16:04, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Firefox consumes 100% memory while watching following web pages
> https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/ubuntu+list/12b6bfd6bd7b8b81
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ravel
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&q=ravel
> <http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&q=ravel>
> above 3 are the only pages that were open on my system.
>
> After reporting a problem in a previous thread about 100% memory
> consumption in firefox I disabled most of the addons.
>
> Harware
> Dell Inspiron 1440.
> Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit
>
> Firefox 3.6.8
>
> Extensions
> Google Toolbar for Firefox 7.1.20100830L
> TheFreeDictionarycom Community Toolbar 3.1.0.12
> Conduit Engine 3.1.0.12
>
> Theme
>
> Default 3.6.8
>
> Plugins
> Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible;Totem)
> VLC Multimedia Plugin(compatible Totem 2.30.2)
> Shockwave Flash (10.1 r82)
> QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6
>

> It has become so difficult to stay in firefox that I am using chrome
> to type this mail.
> I do not want to switch to any other browser why is this behavior of
> firefox?

I don't know if this would be of any help, but I am using a desktop of
an old vintage 32-bit system running an Athlon XP 2100+ with only 5326MB
of RAM. The OS is 10.04.1.

I went to all of the 3 sites you mention, had each opened in a tab, so
all were 'running', and I also had Thunderbird running as well as xine
with which I was watching digitial TV.

Firefox maxed out at 19% CPU usage.

However, I am not using any of the Extensions you mention above; AND I
am using the latest FF which is 3.6.10 (the normal upgrade from Ubuntu).

I am also using the Plugins you mention, plus at least a couple more.

From this I would suggest that your problem is somehow connected with
the 64-bit version you are using and/or the Extensions you are using,
mentioned above.

Why not remove the Extensions you mention above and see what happens?

Just a thought.

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

Old 10-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:......snip..........

�From this I would suggest that your problem is somehow connected with

the 64-bit version you are using and/or the Extensions you are using,

mentioned above.

Why not remove the Extensions you mention above and see what happens?

Just a thought.

Ya even I thought and I disabled the addons.But the problem still persists.So I am not able to get as what might be the problem.
Once I reported this problem then some one asked to also mention some details as which websites was I browsing�so I mentioned this time.My observation is it could be a problem with 64 bit but I want to get to the root cause of it.�

Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Basil Chupin

On 04/10/2010 18:07, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
> ......snip..........
>
> From this I would suggest that your problem is somehow connected with
> the 64-bit version you are using and/or the Extensions you are using,
> mentioned above.
>
> Why not remove the Extensions you mention above and see what happens?
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Ya even I thought and I disabled the addons.
> But the problem still persists.So I am not able to get as what might
> be the problem.
> Once I reported this problem then some one asked to also mention some
> details as which websites was I browsing
> so I mentioned this time.My observation is it could be a problem with
> 64 bit but I want to get to the root cause of it.
I am only guessing here - as I do not have a 64-bit system - but
firstly, the latest version of FF is 3.6.10 so what haven't you upgraded
to this (unless 3.6.10 is not available for X64); and which version of
Flash are you using - the 32-bit version?

(Oh, another question: are you using the Compiz Effects or have them
completely turned off? If you have them ON, what happens if you disabled
them? Just wondering.)

BC

Old 10-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:37 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> Ya even I thought and I disabled the addons.

Run a trace on it and see what the trace says, it might give you some
insight, even if you don't understand it all, some of it even a new
Linux user should be able to point out.

Do you have Flash and Java? If you have Flash, try getting rid of
Ubuntu's flash and installing the Flash 64bit directly from Adobe. If
you have Java, make sure check for updates, there was a known memory
leak in Firefox 3.6 on any system with Java, I can't remember the
version that fixed it, but if you get the latest it should fix the
problem, if you have Java of course, and it's not already updated.

Other than that, do the above and close it and see if it persists,
Firefox is well known for it's memory leaks and a lot of them won't get
addressed till Firefox 4 sadly, if even then since there are still some
open tickets (if I remember right.)

Old 10-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>I am only guessing here - as I do not have a 64-bit system - but
firstly, the latest version of FF is 3.6.10 so what haven't you upgraded

to this (unless 3.6.10 is not available for X64); and which version of

Flash are you using - the 32-bit version?

Ok how do I upgrade to what you are saying and how do I find out the version of flash which you mentioned above?*

(Oh, another question: are you using the Compiz Effects or have them

completely turned off? If you have them ON, what happens if you disabled

them? Just wondering.)I have no idea of what you just said after I installed I am using gnome desktop how do I find this out?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

Do you have Flash and Java? If you have Flash, try getting rid of

Ubuntu's flash and installing the Flash 64bit directly from AdobeI do not remember what exactly I did but IIRC I had done the same i.e. some time back I clicked a linkwhich needed Flash and I was able to install what ever it did in fact much of the process was automated so I do not
remember what I exactly did.**. If

you have Java, make sure check for updates, there was a known memory

leak in Firefox 3.6 on any system with Java, I can't remember the

version that fixed it, but if you get the latest it should fix the

problem, if you have Java of course, and it's not already updated.

Yes I do have Java how do I upgrade that?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Basil Chupin

On 04/10/2010 19:48, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>

> >I am only guessing here - as I do not have a 64-bit system - but
> firstly, the latest version of FF is 3.6.10 so what haven't you
> upgraded
> to this (unless 3.6.10 is not available for X64); and which version of
> Flash are you using - the 32-bit version?
>
> Ok how do I upgrade to what you are saying and how do I find out the
> version of flash which you mentioned above?
>
> (Oh, another question: are you using the Compiz Effects or have them
> completely turned off? If you have them ON, what happens if you
> disabled
> them? Just wondering.)
>
> I have no idea of what you just said after I installed I am using
> gnome desktop how do I find this out?

At this point I shall defer to NoOp, a very nice fellow, who will be
able to provide you with a few dozen links to read which will provide
you with the answers you seek.

I would try and answer your questions but I only came back "online"
today and have lots of other things to do.

If NoOp doesn't give you those dozens of links to read then I'll try
and answer your questions tomorrow. OK? Can you hang on till then?

BC

Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Karl Larsen

On 10/03/2010 11:04 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:

[...]

*** *** I have done this on my computer and it uses about 7 percent of
the CPU and I have 6 GB of ram and it used just a tiny amount of this.
I wonder how much RAM you have?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 PM
NoOp

On 10/03/2010 10:04 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Firefox consumes 100% memory while watching following web pages
> https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/ubuntu+list/12b6bfd6bd7b8b81
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ravel
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&q=ravel
> above 3 are the only pages that were open on my system.
>
> After reporting a problem in a previous thread about 100% memory
> consumption in firefox I disabled most of the addons.
>
> Harware
> Dell Inspiron 1440.
> Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit
>
> Firefox 3.6.8

Upgrade to the current version of Firefox for your system & test:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox
3.6.10+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1

Where did you get 3.6.8?