Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Thierry de Coulon

Default No easy mounting of nfs shares (Maverick)

Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu (but not to Linux) and to Gnome (used to use KDE before 4
was forced on me).

I've set up 10.10 (RC as far as I know), I tried autofs to mount network
shares but it does not seem to work (the mount points specified in
auto.master are not created, ans reloading or restarting autofs does not
help.

Now my actual question is: why does "Places/Network access to Windows shares
(Windows Network), of which I have none, but can't access nfs shares? In the
same way, "Connect to server" offers anything but acces to nfs servers
(unless it is though "Custom Location" and I could not find the right syntax
(I get "You must enter a name for the server" whatever I try).

I have no problem connecting to the servers from MacOS X, and I had no problem
doing it from Desktop links in KDE 3. KDE 4 let's me create the link but, as
usual, it does not work ("only root can do that").

nfs being the logical *nix choice for a network, it's surprising that Linux
distribution make it so difficult for the users to use it...

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock

Old 10-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 00:28 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> I've set up 10.10 (RC as far as I know), I tried autofs to mount network
> shares but it does not seem to work (the mount points specified in
> auto.master are not created, ans reloading or restarting autofs does not
> help.

And what do the logs say?

> Now my actual question is: why does "Places/Network access to Windows shares
> (Windows Network), of which I have none, but can't access nfs shares? In the
> same way, "Connect to server" offers anything but acces to nfs servers
> (unless it is though "Custom Location" and I could not find the right syntax
> (I get "You must enter a name for the server" whatever I try).

Because it's not hard to mount NFS manually with NFS-Common, example:
sudo mount 10.0.0.10:/usr /usr

There was talk (though it's still confirmed as unfixed) that user
mountable FSTAB entries for NFS mounts should show up in the places
menu. As of a month ago somebody reported this as still broken even
though upstream developers reported it fixed.

If you're having so much trouble with AutoFS just create a static mount
and then edit ~/gtk-bookmarks and add the mount point, an example of
doing this would be:

FSTAB: 10.0.0.5:/srv/nfs/shared /mnt/shared nfs rw,hard,user,intr 0 0
Bookmark: file:///mnt/shared

> I have no problem connecting to the servers from MacOS X, and I had no problem
> doing it from Desktop links in KDE 3. KDE 4 let's me create the link but, as
> usual, it does not work ("only root can do that").

Don't know if you noticed, but this isn't Mac OS X, this also isn't KDE.

> nfs being the logical *nix choice for a network, it's surprising that Linux
> distribution make it so difficult for the users to use it...

Was this serious or a troll? You pick up an RC build that is still going
through it's final major bug fixes and then complain about trivial
problems? Why are you going to *test* software if you're going to
complain it's broken? The best thing for you to do is gather a trace,
view the logs and then decide if you need to submit a bug.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@decoulon.ch> wrote:

> I am new to Ubuntu (but not to Linux) and to Gnome (used to use KDE before 4
> was forced on me).
>
> I've set up 10.10 (RC as far as I know), I tried autofs to mount network
> shares but it does not seem to work (the mount points specified in
> auto.master are not created, ans reloading or restarting autofs does not
> help.
>
> Now my actual question is: why does "Places/Network access to Windows shares
> (Windows Network), of which I have none, but can't access nfs shares? In the
> same way, "Connect to server" offers anything but acces to nfs servers
> (unless it is though "Custom Location" and I could not find the right syntax
> (I get "You must enter a name for the server" whatever I try).
>
> I have no problem connecting to the servers from MacOS X, and I had no problem
> doing it from Desktop links in KDE 3. KDE 4 let's me create the link but, as
> usual, it does not work ("only root can do that").
>
> nfs being the logical *nix choice for a network, it's surprising that Linux
> distribution make it so difficult for the users to use it...

You might be blaming the wrong "people." If you tried Debian's or
Fedora's GNOME edition, you'd probably want to change the above to
`'it's surprising that a Linux DE makes it so difficult for users to
use" nfs...

Try adding your nfs mount to your fstab with "noauto" (and "user") and
add "disk mounter" to your panel.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Thierry de Coulon

On Monday 04 October 2010, Tom H wrote:

> Try adding your nfs mount to your fstab with "noauto" (and "user") and
> add "disk mounter" to your panel.

thanks. I tried that, but the share does not appear in disk mounter. My fstab
line reads:

Is there any other magic to do?

On Monday 04 October 2010, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 00:28 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > I've set up 10.10 (RC as far as I know), I tried autofs to mount network
> > shares but it does not seem to work (the mount points specified in
> > auto.master are not created, ans reloading or restarting autofs does not
> > help.
>
> And what do the logs say?

I would tell you if you tell me where they are. I googles for this and got
different hints, but none where I could find anything about autofs.

> Because it's not hard to mount NFS manually with NFS-Common, example:
> sudo mount 10.0.0.10:/usr /usr

I know that and I do it, it works.

> If you're having so much trouble with AutoFS just create a static mount
> and then edit ~/gtk-bookmarks and add the mount point, an example of
> doing this would be:
>
> FSTAB: 10.0.0.5:/srv/nfs/shared /mnt/shared nfs rw,hard,user,intr 0 0
> Bookmark: file:///mnt/shared

I tried that but where is it supposed to show? I get nothing in Places, but
that might be because I don't use "hard" mounting (I can't as the shares are
not allways available (no central server runnniong 24/24).

> Don't know if you noticed, but this isn't Mac OS X, this also isn't KDE.
>
> > nfs being the logical *nix choice for a network, it's surprising that
> > Linux distribution make it so difficult for the users to use it...
>
> Was this serious or a troll? You pick up an RC build that is still going
> through it's final major bug fixes and then complain about trivial
> problems? Why are you going to *test* software if you're going to
> complain it's broken? The best thing for you to do is gather a trace,
> view the logs and then decide if you need to submit a bug.

No need to be aggressive. No, it's no troll. And I am *not* criticizing either
Ubuntu or Maverick RC. I picked it because I have relatively new hardware and
Maverick picks up all of it (ethernet, wifi, card reader, webcam) where other
ditributions/releases don't. I am fully aware it's an RC. I am not familiar
with Ubuntu and Gnome, so I don't know if things may be bugs or not. As far
as I can say Maverick is terrific even as it is (RC), so much that I am
seriously considering switching to it.

Besides, it's nothing new to Maverick that starting a search for "network"
shows you samba shares (if any) but not nfs shares. And it's not Ubuntu
specific either. The question (which is a general question) is why there is
no GUI tool that will list nfs servers and shares, which I would expect to
be "normal" servers and shares in Linux environment.

The reference to KDE and MacOS X was just to say that in MacOS X it's easier
to connect to an nfs server (through the GUI) than it is in Gnome (as far as
I can tell, but I'd be delighted to learn I'm wrong).

KDE 4 dropped and screwed that feature, which leaves me with the option to try
Ubuntu+Trinity, or to try and see if I can setup Gnome to do what I need. It
seems to me that autofs does not work on "my" Maverick install, so before I
would "complain" and fill a bug repport I use the mailing list to check if
maybe I did things the wrong way (so if someone says autofs works for him in
Maverick I could ask how he did).

If it's forbidden on this list to issue any statement/question that does not
imply that Ubuntu <add-your-version-here> is the greatest of all operating
systems in the Galaxy I'd probably better unsubscribe as fast as I can...

Oh, and (to all that read this) please don't start a big flame war about what
I just said - my question was about finding a good way to mount/umount nfs
shares on the GUI (once set up, the KDE 3 desktop made this possible with one
mouse click, so I'm a little unhappy to have to use the command line or write
scripts because I'm a lazy guy

Thierry

Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@decoulon.ch> wrote:
> On Monday 04 October 2010, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> Try adding your nfs mount to your fstab with "noauto" (and "user") and
>> add "disk mounter" to your panel.
>
> thanks. I tried that, but the share does not appear in disk mounter. My fstab
> line reads:

> Is there any other magic to do?

You're welcome.

I've tried the same entry in "/etc/fstab" (without "exec" but that
shouldn't make a difference) on lucid, maverick, sid, constantine, and
laughlin. The nfs share showed up in the "Places" menu (under the name
of the mount point) without even using "Disk Mounter".

can you mount the share at the cli?

Please post "cat /etc/exports" run on the nfs server.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:24 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> I tried that but where is it supposed to show? I get nothing in Places, but
> that might be because I don't use "hard" mounting (I can't as the shares are
> not allways available (no central server runnniong 24/24).

Try using the soft, intr which will allow you to kill or interrupt the
mount if the server is unavailable. As far is it not showing up in the
places menu, it will not, unless it's mounted. So once it mounts it
will then show up.

I forgot to mention previously too, that you can name the folders you
add bookmarks to, so when you do: file:///mnt/share you can also rename
it so you can do something like: 'file:///mnt/share name' to give it the
places alias 'name' instead of share.

> No need to be aggressive. No, it's no troll. And I am *not* criticizing either
> Ubuntu or Maverick RC. I picked it because I have relatively new hardware and
> Maverick picks up all of it (ethernet, wifi, card reader, webcam) where other
> ditributions/releases don't. I am fully aware it's an RC. I am not familiar
> with Ubuntu and Gnome, so I don't know if things may be bugs or not. As far
> as I can say Maverick is terrific even as it is (RC), so much that I am
> seriously considering switching to it.

Not being aggressive, I just happen to be a bit blunt, and I do
apologise for it, but it just happens, out of my control. I am happy to
hear you might be switching to Debian based distros.

> Besides, it's nothing new to Maverick that starting a search for "network"
> shows you samba shares (if any) but not nfs shares. And it's not Ubuntu
> specific either. The question (which is a general question) is why there is
> no GUI tool that will list nfs servers and shares, which I would expect to
> be "normal" servers and shares in Linux environment.

This is because in theory and application, SAMBA shares are broadcast,
NFS shares are not. Think of SAMBA as your computer in a typical home
network, you announce and broadcast yourself, other people can find you
by asking the router and then you click it, and it asks the computer
what it has to offer and the computer tells your computer. Think of NFS
as a closed network with selective sharing, nobody broadcasts
themselves, but some people offer sharing, if you know their information
you can view that shared file.

> The reference to KDE and MacOS X was just to say that in MacOS X it's easier
> to connect to an nfs server (through the GUI) than it is in Gnome (as far as
> I can tell, but I'd be delighted to learn I'm wrong).

Well, I can't say for sure. I have a Mac Pro here, a really nice one
but the thing is nothing more than a big foot rest. No, LOL, I don't use
it for that, I just never use it. I used it for about a week and ended
up back on my personal baby. I don't hate Macs, I just prefer my baby,
an i7 with Ubuntu and Debian side by side. I didn't buy it either, it
was given to me so this is the main reason I do not rid of it, it would
be a big insult if I did. I never actually tied it to my network for
real either, it was just tied in as a guest PC with internet access, so
I could play with it and see what all the fuss was about with Macs. I
can say one thing for it, Quicktime looks awesome on a Mac compared to
Windows (I don't use Windows either, but my family does) and World of
Warcraft got me addicted enough to install Wine and play it occasionally
on my Ubuntu install.

> KDE 4 dropped and screwed that feature, which leaves me with the option to try
> Ubuntu+Trinity, or to try and see if I can setup Gnome to do what I need. It
> seems to me that autofs does not work on "my" Maverick install, so before I
> would "complain" and fill a bug repport I use the mailing list to check if
> maybe I did things the wrong way (so if someone says autofs works for him in
> Maverick I could ask how he did).

KDE 4 dropped a screwed a lot of things I heard. I had a lot of friends
switch from KDE to GNOME after KDE 4 came out, I could never see what
the fuss was about, but I've never used KDE either. I did like the new
KDE interface a bit, not much but a bit. I still prefer GTK and GNOME
over KDE and whatever it uses. That's personal preference though as I'm
sure you already got.

You can view your autofs logs in /var/log/messages this should give you
a hint at what is going wrong hopefully. Makes sure to double check
nothing is sensitive in there before you go and post it on a mailing
list. I have no problem with AutoFS either, which is why we should get
you to grep your logs so we can see what is going wrong, perhaps there
was a slip on the configuration you missed.

> If it's forbidden on this list to issue any statement/question that does not
> imply that Ubuntu <add-your-version-here> is the greatest of all operating
> systems in the Galaxy I'd probably better unsubscribe as fast as I can...

This is not a rule, and never will be. You, just like us, are entitled
to an opinion. Linux is Linux, we just have our personal preferences
and our personal spins. I am Debian and Ubuntu to the bone, but I have
used Redhat and Redhat based systems too, I actually used to consult for
quite a few companies that primarily use CentOS and Redhat, even though
I worked personally from Debian and Ubuntu.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:24 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> Oh, and (to all that read this) please don't start a big flame war about what
> I just said - my question was about finding a good way to mount/umount nfs
> shares on the GUI (once set up, the KDE 3 desktop made this possible with one
> mouse click, so I'm a little unhappy to have to use the command line or write
> scripts because I'm a lazy guy
>
> Thierry

He's completely correct. It IS strange that it will automagically want
to set up Samba shares to some stinkin' Winders machine, but not another
Linux boxen via NFS. I noticed that over a week ago, while setting up
IAM for Mom's Machine... which I resolved with a hand edit. No biggie,
but it made me go Hmmmmmm.

I have both Gnome and KDE, and both have the same behavior. Maybe it is
assumed that the world being connected to, with a gui, is only to
Windows? Die-hard Linux-only users can handle hand edits, right? Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 10-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:24 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
>
>> Oh, and (to all that read this) please don't start a big flame war about what
>> I just said - my question was about finding a good way to mount/umount nfs
>> shares on the GUI (once set up, the KDE 3 desktop made this possible with one
>> mouse click, so I'm a little unhappy to have to use the command line or write
>> scripts because I'm a lazy guy
>
> He's completely correct. It IS strange that it will automagically want
> to set up Samba shares to some stinkin' Winders machine, but not another
> Linux boxen via NFS. I noticed that over a week ago, while setting up
> IAM for Mom's Machine... which I resolved with a hand edit. No biggie,
> but it made me go Hmmmmmm.
>
> I have both Gnome and KDE, and both have the same behavior. Maybe it is
> assumed that the world being connected to, with a gui, is only to
> Windows? Die-hard Linux-only users can handle hand edits, right? Ric

From a developer in a GNOME bug report:

<begin>
Aside from that I think it would be nice to have a "real" nfs:// support in
GVfs using the kernel driver. We could have something like an in-process
GNfsFile (like GDaemonFile) class that handles IO for nfs:// URIs (no need to
proxy it to a daemon). Then again, NFS is sorta a fringe filesystem to be using
on the desktop but many people tell me NFS is much faster than anything else.
So if it's not too much work we should probably do it...
</end>

IIUC, he then submitted a patch to gvfs to make nfs mounts in
"/etc/fstab" available to be mounted by users (I assume that they have
to have the "user" option).

Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Thierry de Coulon

On Monday 04 October 2010, Tom H wrote:
> I've tried the same entry in "/etc/fstab" (without "exec" but that
> shouldn't make a difference) on lucid, maverick, sid, constantine, and
> laughlin. The nfs share showed up in the "Places" menu (under the name
> of the mount point) without even using "Disk Mounter".
>
> can you mount the share at the cli?

Yep

> Please post "cat /etc/exports" run on the nfs server.

/data 192.168.1.x(rw,sync,root_squash)

Thierry

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Thierry de Coulon

On Monday 04 October 2010, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> Try using the soft, intr which will allow you to kill or interrupt the
> mount if the server is unavailable. As far is it not showing up in the
> places menu, it will not, unless it's mounted. So once it mounts it
> will then show up.

The part about only showing when mounted makes sens. And it works. However, I
gues it works only helps not to create a panic if the server is off. It won't
mount the share later if the server comes online.

> I forgot to mention previously too, that you can name the folders you
> add bookmarks to, so when you do: file:///mnt/share you can also rename
> it so you can do something like: 'file:///mnt/share name' to give it the
> places alias 'name' instead of share.

Actually if I static mount I do it in /<share name> so it's ok like that, but
thanks for the more sofisticated way.

> Not being aggressive, I just happen to be a bit blunt, and I do
> apologise for it, but it just happens, out of my control. I am happy to
> hear you might be switching to Debian based distros.

No problem. Actually, it's not such a switch. I've been using Mepis this last
years, which is also Debian based (was even Ubuntu based for a time).

My favourite Notebboks are Thinkpads and (open)SuSE wroked best on those most
of the time, but my new Edge seems to prefer Ubuntu.

> This is because in theory and application, SAMBA shares are broadcast,
> NFS shares are not. Think of SAMBA as your computer in a typical home
> network, you announce and broadcast yourself, other people can find you
> by asking the router and then you click it, and it asks the computer
> what it has to offer and the computer tells your computer. Think of NFS
> as a closed network with selective sharing, nobody broadcasts
> themselves, but some people offer sharing, if you know their information
> you can view that shared file.

Aha, yes, I understand better.

> Well, I can't say for sure. I have a Mac Pro here, a really nice one
> but the thing is nothing more than a big foot rest. No, LOL, I don't use
> it for that, I just never use it. I used it for about a week and ended
> up back on my personal baby.

Actually mine is a "Hackintosh", I use it for video editing on two screens
with Première. Kdenlive is getting better but that's one area where FOSS
still has a lot to catch up.

> KDE 4 dropped a screwed a lot of things I heard. I had a lot of friends
> switch from KDE to GNOME after KDE 4 came out, I could never see what
> the fuss was about, but I've never used KDE either. I did like the new
> KDE interface a bit, not much but a bit. I still prefer GTK and GNOME
> over KDE and whatever it uses. That's personal preference though as I'm
> sure you already got.

I still consider KDE 3 Desktop to be the best, but it's dying away... Gnome at
the moment is better than KDE 4, and the "Ambiance" theme is the first "dark"
theme I find that is just good, others are way too dark.

I'd love that Gnome gets the "shutdown" option when you right-click on the
Desktop, but I can live without.

> You can view your autofs logs in /var/log/messages this should give you
> a hint at what is going wrong hopefully. Makes sure to double check
> nothing is sensitive in there before you go and post it on a mailing
> list. I have no problem with AutoFS either, which is why we should get
> you to grep your logs so we can see what is going wrong, perhaps there
> was a slip on the configuration you missed.

What am I supposed to grep for? I can't find anything with autofs, or even
auto. Maybe autofs isn't loading at all?

Thierry