Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM
NoOp

Default What tax prep software available, and can any import TaxAct or TurboTax data file formats? TIA

On 10/03/2010 01:46 PM, Lon O'Bannon III wrote:
> Whart are the available software packages for U.S. Fed. Personal
> income tax prep, and which ones can import commercial file formats
> from TaxAct, or Intuit Turbotax, etc.? TIA.

Good question. I doubt that you will find any to import from comercial
packages; too much work, little/no revenue base, too short of a coding
time. However, this might be of interest (I've not used it - but may
give it a spin):

http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaxsolver/

Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 14:32 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/03/2010 01:46 PM, Lon O'Bannon III wrote:
> > Whart are the available software packages for U.S. Fed. Personal
> > income tax prep, and which ones can import commercial file formats
> > from TaxAct, or Intuit Turbotax, etc.? TIA.
>
> Good question. I doubt that you will find any to import from comercial
> packages; too much work, little/no revenue base, too short of a coding
> time. However, this might be of interest (I've not used it - but may
> give it a spin):

If any of them used Java, they could sell it cross-platform. I wonder if
wine or mono would run any of the Windows versions? Think it's likely
they use dot-net to create the apps? Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
kristau

Has anyone tried the online versions under Ubuntu? I know H&R Block
offers an online tax prep program, but Ive always used that from my
Mac.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 08:54 -0500, kristau wrote:
> Has anyone tried the online versions under Ubuntu? I know H&R Block
> offers an online tax prep program, but Ive always used that from my
> Mac.

It works from Linux. My cousin did his taxes online with H&R block and
he rolls Ubuntu, like the rest of us on this list. Yeah they warn you
about 'compatibility', but their developers missed the obviousness of
Firefox on Linux. There is of course sometimes a slight overflow of text
because of the lack of bullet proof font lists but meh.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Preston Hagar

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:54 AM, kristau <kristau@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried the online versions under Ubuntu? I know H&R Block
> offers an online tax prep program, but Ive always used that from my
> Mac.

I've used H&R Block online for the last 3 years to do my taxes in
Firefox from Linux with no issues. All the calculations seem to be
done in the backend, so the only thing that even can go wrong (and
occasionally does) is small formatting/layout issues. These seem to
have gotten better with each passing year, probably as they try to at
least support Firefox on Windows.

Preston