Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Jordon Bedwell

Default .wmv not playing in lucid

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 15:48 +0530, arshad wrote:
> iv installed vlc in addition to the totem movie player.
> also i have installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras
>
> some of the wmv files play and some don't.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks.

Try launching the video from terminal and capturing the output:

totem /home/username/Videos/movie.wmv

This should help you give us more info to help you out.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 AM
ms

On 03/10/10 11:18, arshad wrote:
> iv installed vlc in addition to the totem movie player.
> also i have installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras
>
> some of the wmv files play and some don't.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks.

Did you try this:

?

Old 10-03-2010, 11:45 AM
arshad

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 05:24 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 15:48 +0530, arshad wrote:
> > iv installed vlc in addition to the totem movie player.
> > also i have installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras
> >
> > some of the wmv files play and some don't.
> >
> > any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> Try launching the video from terminal and capturing the output:
>
> totem /home/username/Videos/movie.wmv
>
> This should help you give us more info to help you out.

i forgot to say, that i could play the movie, but could not get the
sound, it prompts me to search for the plugin but returns with no
plugins found and the video continues to play without audio.
here is the output:

arshad@arshad-desktop:~$ totem
** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|Windows Media Audio 9
decoder|decoder-audio/x-wma, wmaversion=(int)3, bitrate=(int)96024
(Windows Media Audio 9 decoder)

Old 10-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Jordon Bedwell

echo 'deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non-free'
>> /etc/apt/sources.list

wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- |
sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

apt-get upgrade && apt-get install w32codecs

Old 10-03-2010, 01:19 PM
arshad

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 07:12 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 17:15 +0530, arshad wrote:
> > i forgot to say, that i could play the movie, but could not get the
> > sound, it prompts me to search for the plugin but returns with no
> > plugins found and the video continues to play without audio.
> > here is the output:
> >
> > arshad@arshad-desktop:~$ totem
> > ** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|Windows Media Audio 9
> > decoder|decoder-audio/x-wma, wmaversion=(int)3, bitrate=(int)96024
> > (Windows Media Audio 9 decoder)
>
> echo 'deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non-free'
> >> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- |
> sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
>
> apt-get upgrade && apt-get install w32codecs

thanks for your reply.
after executing the first two commands (source list addition and wget)
i tried to do the apt-get upgrade and it asks for 564mb to be downloaded
which is not possible at the moment.

so i just did the apt-get install w32codecs and still i could not get
the audio for wmv

Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
C de-Avillez

Le Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:49:00 +0530,
arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > apt-get upgrade && apt-get install w32codecs
> >

> thanks for your reply.
> after executing the first two commands (source list addition and
> wget) i tried to do the apt-get upgrade and it asks for 564mb to be
> downloaded which is not possible at the moment.
>
> so i just did the apt-get install w32codecs and still i could not get
> the audio for wmv

Actually it should have been 'sudo apt-get update', not *upgrade*.

--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 08:48 -0500, C de-Avillez wrote:
> Actually it should have been 'sudo apt-get update', not *upgrade*.

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but usually when people try to correct
other people, they know how to read. Such examples include: not missing
the apt-get update in the second line.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
NoOp

On 10/03/2010 06:19 AM, arshad wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 07:12 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 17:15 +0530, arshad wrote:
>> > i forgot to say, that i could play the movie, but could not get the
>> > sound, it prompts me to search for the plugin but returns with no
>> > plugins found and the video continues to play without audio.
>> > here is the output:
>> >
>> > arshad@arshad-desktop:~$ totem
>> > ** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|Windows Media Audio 9
>> > decoder|decoder-audio/x-wma, wmaversion=(int)3, bitrate=(int)96024
>> > (Windows Media Audio 9 decoder)
>>
>> echo 'deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non-free'
>>
>> wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- |
>> sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
>>
>> apt-get upgrade && apt-get install w32codecs
>>

> thanks for your reply.
> after executing the first two commands (source list addition and wget)
> i tried to do the apt-get upgrade and it asks for 564mb to be downloaded
> which is not possible at the moment.

Most likely because your system is outdated & hasn't be upgraded in a
long time?

> so i just did the apt-get install w32codecs and still i could not get
> the audio for wmv

Perhaps these will help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo
apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet
--allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get
--quiet update

[Basically does what Jordon was pointing out all in one line & without
the upgrade command]

Individual packages are here:
http://packages.medibuntu.org/lucid/index.html
You'll probably want:
http://packages.medibuntu.org/lucid/non-free-codecs.html
http://packages.medibuntu.org/lucid/w32codecs.html
and if you are on a 64bit system:
http://packages.medibuntu.org/lucid/w64codecs.html

Old 10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
arshad

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 09:43 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/03/2010 06:19 AM, arshad wrote:

> >> echo 'deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non-free'
> >>
> >> wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- |
> >> sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
> >>
> >> apt-get upgrade && apt-get install w32codecs
> >>

> > thanks for your reply.
> > after executing the first two commands (source list addition and wget)
> > i tried to do the apt-get upgrade and it asks for 564mb to be downloaded
> > which is not possible at the moment.
>
> Most likely because your system is outdated & hasn't be upgraded in a
> long time?

lolz, i never updated since the installations.
but the system has been very cool and i don't have any major probs.

> > so i just did the apt-get install w32codecs and still i could not get
> > the audio for wmv
>

> Perhaps these will help:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
>
> sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
> http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo
> apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet
> --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get
> --quiet update
>
> [Basically does what Jordon was pointing out all in one line & without
> the upgrade command]
>
> Individual packages are here:
> http://packages.medibuntu.org/lucid/index.html
> You'll probably want:
> http://packages.medibuntu.org/lucid/non-free-codecs.html
> http://packages.medibuntu.org/lucid/w32codecs.html
> and if you are on a 64bit system:
> http://packages.medibuntu.org/lucid/w64codecs.html

thanks for this, i will check out tonight.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Den 2010-10-03 19:40:58 skrev arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 09:43 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>> Audio 9

>> > thanks for your reply.
>> > after executing the first two commands (source list addition and wget)
>> > i tried to do the apt-get upgrade and it asks for 564mb to be
>> downloaded
>> > which is not possible at the moment.
>>
>> Most likely because your system is outdated & hasn't be upgraded in a
>> long time?
>>

> lolz, i never updated since the installations.
> but the system has been very cool and i don't have any major probs.

You should at least do the security updates anyway, I think.

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg