Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default taking a screenshot in ubuntu 10.10?

for the first time, trying to take some simple screenshots in my
pre-maverick (dist-upgraded) system and a couple observations.

first, Alt-PrtSc is allegedly supposed to take a shot of the single
active window, but i don't see that it has any effect whatsoever. is
this working for anyone else?

also, from the menus, if i select Apps->Accessories->Take
Screenshot, that operation appears to work but i have no idea where it
would have stored the image -- there is no feedback whatever.

thoughts?

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 10-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Tony Pursell

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 10:43 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> for the first time, trying to take some simple screenshots in my
> pre-maverick (dist-upgraded) system and a couple observations.

What do you mean by 'pre-maverick (dist-upgraded)' - Lucid or Maverick
beta, or what?

> first, Alt-PrtSc is allegedly supposed to take a shot of the single
> active window, but i don't see that it has any effect whatsoever. is
> this working for anyone else?

On Lucid I get a 'Save Screenshot' dialogue to name and where to save
the screen shot (default is 'Desktop').

> also, from the menus, if i select Apps->Accessories->Take
> Screenshot, that operation appears to work but i have no idea where it
> would have stored the image -- there is no feedback whatever.

I don't have this in my menu.

> thoughts?
>
> rday

Tony

Old 10-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Alan Pope

On 2 October 2010 15:43, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> *first, Alt-PrtSc is allegedly supposed to take a shot of the single
> active window, but i don't see that it has any effect whatsoever. *is
> this working for anyone else?

Known bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/metacity/+bug/642792

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:46 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:43:38 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> for the first time, trying to take some simple screenshots in my
> pre-maverick (dist-upgraded) system and a couple observations.
>
> first, Alt-PrtSc is allegedly supposed to take a shot of the single
> active window, but i don't see that it has any effect whatsoever. is
> this working for anyone else?
>
> also, from the menus, if i select Apps->Accessories->Take
> Screenshot, that operation appears to work but i have no idea where it
> would have stored the image -- there is no feedback whatever.
>
> thoughts?
>
> rday

Suggest shutter.
sudo apt-get install shutter

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 AM
NoOp

On 10/02/2010 04:46 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:43:38 -0400 (EDT)
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>

>> for the first time, trying to take some simple screenshots in my
>> pre-maverick (dist-upgraded) system and a couple observations.
>>
>> first, Alt-PrtSc is allegedly supposed to take a shot of the single
>> active window, but i don't see that it has any effect whatsoever. is
>> this working for anyone else?
>>
>> also, from the menus, if i select Apps->Accessories->Take
>> Screenshot, that operation appears to work but i have no idea where it
>> would have stored the image -- there is no feedback whatever.
>>
>> thoughts?
>>
>> rday
>>
> Suggest shutter.
> sudo apt-get install shutter

+1

However, be aware of:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shutter/+bug/549679>
[Shutter has disabled features: Web capture, Edit and Send]

Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Kai Presler-Marshall

I use Applications->Accessories->Take Screenshot, and it allows me to save wherever I want.* Haven't tried Alt-PrtSc, it'll be nice if they get that working though

Off to install shutter

Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 10:43:38AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> for the first time, trying to take some simple screenshots in my
> pre-maverick (dist-upgraded) system and a couple observations.

I'm using lucid.

> first, Alt-PrtSc is allegedly supposed to take a shot of the single
> active window, but i don't see that it has any effect whatsoever. is
> this working for anyone else?

It works for me.

(The Alt-PrintScreen choice is a bit unfortunate. This is also known as
SysRq. The kernel has a bunch of magic keyboard commands you can invoke
by holding down Alt+SysRq+letter, e.g. Alt+SysRq+s writes dirty cache
pages back to disk. However when you hold down Alt+SysRq while
searching for the s, GNOME starts taking screenshots of the current
window -- I end up with 10--15 of "save screenshot" dialogs that I
have to close one-by-one.)

> also, from the menus, if i select Apps->Accessories->Take
> Screenshot, that operation appears to work but i have no idea where it
> would have stored the image -- there is no feedback whatever.

If it didn't pop up a dialog showing a thumbnail of the screenshot and
asking where to save it, this means it crashed. I can reproduce:

$ gnome-screenshot --interactive

(select "Current window", hit Enter)

The program 'gnome-screenshot' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 4255 error_code 3 request_code 15 minor_code 0)

> thoughts?

Use GIMP for taking screenshots: File -> Create -> Screenshot...
Or some other tool.

Marius Gedminas
--
Microsoft -- because God hates us.