Old 10-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Ric Moore

Default Request update to November 2008 - LaunchPad #303032... want to help...

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 21:30 -0400, Barry Smith wrote:

> Oh yeah... I'm running 8.04 (hardy), 2.6.24-28-rt, GNOME 2.22.3.
> I tried to install 10.4 LTS, but I had no audio.

Did you try to resolve the audio problem first? Trying to get assistance
on VLC, running on old and crusty, may prove to be more difficult. I
jabbed f (fullscreen) on Xine, a few days ago, (running KDE desktop on
top of Ubuntu) and it folded like a house of cards. I re-ran it, no
prob. Hasn't happened since, so I just pay it no mind.

Did you try to install Ubuntu 10.4 or Kubuntu 10.4?? Kubuntu has it's
share of problems with audio, since they decided not to support pulse
for the LTS version. Duh. So, I install Ubuntu, get the audio working,
then installed the KDE desktop. YMMV, Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Liviu Andronic

Hello

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Barry Smith <bnsmith001@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having the same problem, well similar (VLC crashes playing AVI
> when going Fullscreen or above 150%).
> See https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/universe-bugs/2008-November/025100.html .

Have you tried using a different player? You might want to give a shot
with the gstreamer-based Totem and the mplayer-based Gnome-mplayer.

Regards
Liviu

Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 AM
Barry Smith

Hi, Ric.

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 23:03 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Did you try to resolve the audio problem first?

Your points are all understood and valid, but after losing 300 Gig and
almost 10 years of data, I wasn't really interested in installing
initially. I wanted to gddrescue what I could... which didn't work. I
needed a stable LiveCD that I could boot and use... and then try to
re-install Windoze. When my XP Pro Windows CD was going to have to
format anyway, I chose to install the OS which had offered me some
stability while I worked to try to rescue what I could.

Because the 8.04 LiveCD worked better (on my hardware "out of the box",
even though my graphics was stuck at 800x600, the computer was
functional) than the 10.04 LiveCD... I chose 8.04.

As I set up and got used to waving Windoze goodbye, I happened upon a
way to access my higher resolution in 8.04.

After having such a loss, I wasn't interested in tracking down any thing
for a LiveCD that didn't work "out of the box". Adding ntfs-3g and
gddrescue was all that I had to do to a boot from the 8.04 LiveCD.

I wanted a stable computer again, so that I could gddrescue. Which
version wasn't important, but the boot sound was better for my nerves,
given that I didn't know that I wasn't going to be able to save any of
the data.

Now (a few weeks after getting used to Evolution, and learning my way
around 8.04), I might click that "upgrade" button in Update Manager some
day soon, but I likes my music.

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 23:03 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Trying to get assistance on VLC, running on old and crusty, may prove
> to be more difficult. I jabbed f (fullscreen) on Xine, a few days ago,
> (running KDE desktop on top of Ubuntu) and it folded like a house of
> cards. I re-ran it, no prob. Hasn't happened since, so I just pay it
> no mind.

Yep, I guess I should click Upgrade. Hopefully, I won't lose the driver
configuration that I have currently.

When installing SuperTuxKart from Synaptic on Hardy, I had to download a
driver from Jaunty, and then the SuperTuxKart would install. I guess
that an upgrade is due... but I don't want to lose my audio.

> Did you try to install Ubuntu 10.4 or Kubuntu 10.4?? Kubuntu has it's
> share of problems with audio, since they decided not to support pulse
> for the LTS version. Duh. So, I install Ubuntu, get the audio working,
> then installed the KDE desktop. YMMV, Ric

I noticed (while learning tasksel and the options available there) that
you can install other desktops onto the Ubuntu install fairly easily.
I like GNOME, and I find that most KDE tools work very well under GDM
with the appropriate KDE data installed.

Thanks,
--
Barry Smith
h 843-332-1369

Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 AM
Barry Smith

Liviu:

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 14:44 +0300, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Have you tried using a different player? You might want to give a shot
> with the gstreamer-based Totem and the mplayer-based Gnome-mplayer.

Totem (run from mplayer) runs the video at a very slow rate. I've
never checked it, but it's like one second of the video takes five
seconds to play.

VLC was playing DVDs and videos at the appropriate speed.

That's why I offered my help in gathering logs and whatever I could do to help.

Peace,

Old 10-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Liviu Andronic

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Barry Smith <bnsmith001@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 14:44 +0300, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> with the gstreamer-based Totem and the mplayer-based Gnome-mplayer.
>
> Totem (run from mplayer)

I'm not sure I understand. Totem has no mplayer backend, so I don't
see how you could 'run Totem from mplayer'. Have you tried both, or
just Totem? And what about Gnome-mplayer, any luck with it? (It
requires no Gnome deps.)

Regards
Liviu