Old 10-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Ric Moore

Default WTF (meaning Weird, True and Freaky - OK?) about KDE3

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 01:38 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

> So I then tried using Brasero - for the first time ever.
>
> It burnt the CD without a hiccup.
>
> Question: who has stuffed-up K3b in the past 24 or so hours so that it
> no longer works as it did for years? (I say 24 hours or so because I/we
> check daily for upgrades - and there haven't been any for some days
> until the last 24 hours.)

It's a rather old problem. I'm surprised it hasn't been remedied yet. It
usually concerns r/w permission and cdrom group membership, to grant
permission to actually write to the cd/dvd device. Just
"more /etc/group" and see if your user is in the group "cdrom". That is
the usual suspect. For whatever reason, Brasero doesn't use that schema,
apparently. Me, I don't like wasting even one CD, and the fact that K3b
could write ~something~ to the disc, enough to bugger it up, is
maddening. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Basil Chupin

On 02/10/2010 03:46, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 01:38 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>

>> So I then tried using Brasero - for the first time ever.
>>
>> It burnt the CD without a hiccup.
>>
>> Question: who has stuffed-up K3b in the past 24 or so hours so that it
>> no longer works as it did for years? (I say 24 hours or so because I/we
>> check daily for upgrades - and there haven't been any for some days
>> until the last 24 hours.)
>>
> It's a rather old problem. I'm surprised it hasn't been remedied yet. It
> usually concerns r/w permission and cdrom group membership, to grant
> permission to actually write to the cd/dvd device. Just
> "more /etc/group" and see if your user is in the group "cdrom". That is
> the usual suspect. For whatever reason, Brasero doesn't use that schema,
> apparently. Me, I don't like wasting even one CD, and the fact that K3b
> could write ~something~ to the disc, enough to bugger it up, is
> maddening. Ric

Thanks, Ric, but I checked and the 'user' *is *a member of the 'cdrom'
group.

As I stated (because my own 'backup' computer now being used does not
have the ability to burn CDs/DVDs 'cause I lost the mobo - see thread
Any Suggestion?) I have had to use my wife's computer to do any burning
and I have had no problems doing so until the last ugrades I put thru to
10.04.1 Lucid.

I conclude that something to do with KDE has something to do with this
sudden change in behaviour of K3b.

In one way perhaps - I say perhaps - I am glad because I won't have to
install all that additional KDE stuff to have K3b working :-) .

(OK, I won't show my face in kubuntu for a while, right? :-) .)

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Christopher Chan

> I conclude that something to do with KDE has something to do with this
> sudden change in behaviour of K3b.

Ahem. Something to do with the Kubuntu devs. Don't blame it on KDE. Who
knows that the Kubuntu devs messed up?

> In one way perhaps - I say perhaps - I am glad because I won't have to
> install all that additional KDE stuff to have K3b working :-) .
>
> (OK, I won't show my face in kubuntu for a while, right? :-) .)

I don't bother with that list anymore.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Doug

On 10/04/2010 02:34 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 02/10/2010 03:46, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 01:38 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>

>>> So I then tried using Brasero - for the first time ever.
>>>
>>> It burnt the CD without a hiccup.
>>>
>>> Question: who has stuffed-up K3b in the past 24 or so hours so that it
>>> no longer works as it did for years? (I say 24 hours or so because I/we
>>> check daily for upgrades - and there haven't been any for some days
>>> until the last 24 hours.)
>>>

>> It's a rather old problem. I'm surprised it hasn't been remedied yet. It
>> usually concerns r/w permission and cdrom group membership, to grant
>> permission to actually write to the cd/dvd device. Just
>> "more /etc/group" and see if your user is in the group "cdrom". That is
>> the usual suspect. For whatever reason, Brasero doesn't use that schema,
>> apparently. Me, I don't like wasting even one CD, and the fact that K3b
>> could write ~something~ to the disc, enough to bugger it up, is
>> maddening. Ric
>>

> Thanks, Ric, but I checked and the 'user' *is *a member of the 'cdrom'
> group.
>
> As I stated (because my own 'backup' computer now being used does not
> have the ability to burn CDs/DVDs 'cause I lost the mobo - see thread
> Any Suggestion?) I have had to use my wife's computer to do any burning
> and I have had no problems doing so until the last ugrades I put thru to
> 10.04.1 Lucid.
>
> I conclude that something to do with KDE has something to do with this
> sudden change in behaviour of K3b.
>
> In one way perhaps - I say perhaps - I am glad because I won't have to
> install all that additional KDE stuff to have K3b working :-) .
>
> (OK, I won't show my face in kubuntu for a while, right? :-) .)
>
> BC

If your wife's computer is running Windows, get Burncdcc.exe. It's
free, and its
only purpose in life is to burn .iso files to disks, so it's hard to
screw up! --doug

Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Christopher Chan

> If your wife's computer is running Windows, get Burncdcc.exe. It's
> free, and its
> only purpose in life is to burn .iso files to disks, so it's hard to
> screw up! --doug

So is wodim...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 17:34 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 02/10/2010 03:46, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Me, I don't like wasting even one CD, and the fact that K3b
> > could write ~something~ to the disc, enough to bugger it up, is
> > maddening. Ric
> >

> Thanks, Ric, but I checked and the 'user' *is *a member of the 'cdrom'
> group.

Oh... shucks. I STILL don't see how K3B can write something to the disk,
if only enough to destroy it just enough to make it unusable, and not
write the data. Blows my 'ittle mind. I just can't figure that one
out. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 14:49 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > I conclude that something to do with KDE has something to do with this
> > sudden change in behaviour of K3b.
>
> Ahem. Something to do with the Kubuntu devs. Don't blame it on KDE. Who
> knows that the Kubuntu devs messed up?
>

> > In one way perhaps - I say perhaps - I am glad because I won't have to
> > install all that additional KDE stuff to have K3b working :-) .
> >
> > (OK, I won't show my face in kubuntu for a while, right? :-) .)
> >

> I don't bother with that list anymore.

Basil, are you saying that it burns a CD with gnome and not KDE? Or,
that KDE diddled it so it just doesn't work under either desktop? Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Basil Chupin

On 04/10/2010 17:49, Christopher Chan wrote:

>> I conclude that something to do with KDE has something to do with this
>> sudden change in behaviour of K3b.
>>
> Ahem. Something to do with the Kubuntu devs. Don't blame it on KDE. Who
> knows that the Kubuntu devs messed up?

KDE/Kubuntu devs - sorry, what's the difference?

OK, "I see the light".

As far as what I stated, take "KDE" to mean "Kubuntu devs".

Mea Culpa (as I kowtow at each step backwards....)

>> In one way perhaps - I say perhaps - I am glad because I won't have to
>> install all that additional KDE stuff to have K3b working :-) .
>>
>> (OK, I won't show my face in kubuntu for a while, right? :-) .)
>>

> I don't bother with that list anymore.

Oh, no. That is being discriminatory.

Kubuntu users are our Brothers. They must not be ignored. They may be
misguided - but should not be ignored.

BC

Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Basil Chupin

On 04/10/2010 18:44, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 14:49 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>>> I conclude that something to do with KDE has something to do with this
>>> sudden change in behaviour of K3b.
>>>
>> Ahem. Something to do with the Kubuntu devs. Don't blame it on KDE. Who
>> knows that the Kubuntu devs messed up?
>>

>>> In one way perhaps - I say perhaps - I am glad because I won't have to
>>> install all that additional KDE stuff to have K3b working :-) .
>>>
>>> (OK, I won't show my face in kubuntu for a while, right? :-) .)
>>>

>> I don't bother with that list anymore.
>>
> Basil, are you saying that it burns a CD with gnome and not KDE? Or,
> that KDE diddled it so it just doesn't work under either desktop? Ric

All I am saying is that for years I have used K3b to burn CDs/DVDs and,
in this particular case, an iso file (Ubuntu Maverick RC1) to a CD, and
it didn't work because of the error message I got. This happened twice -
and I wasted 2 CDs. Not much really considering the cost of CDs
now-a-days. But the principle if it all.....

I then ran Brasero, which is a "native" burner for gnome and had no
problem in burning the iso file to the CD. No problem - and I had no
hassles using that 10.10 Live CD RC1 to install 10.10 RC1 on my computer
(on another set of HDs).

I used K3b only days before to burn other CDs without any problems. I
cannot burn anything on my present computer 'cause there is no burner, I
can only use my wife's computer (my original 'backup' computer). But
then I put thru some upgrades to 10.04.1 on my wife's computer and K3b
stopped doing it has been doing some days before....

BC

Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Basil Chupin

On 04/10/2010 17:55, Doug wrote:
> On 10/04/2010 02:34 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> It's a rather old problem. I'm surprised it hasn't been remedied yet. It
>>> usually concerns r/w permission and cdrom group membership, to grant
>>> permission to actually write to the cd/dvd device. Just
>>> "more /etc/group" and see if your user is in the group "cdrom". That is
>>> the usual suspect. For whatever reason, Brasero doesn't use that schema,
>>> apparently. Me, I don't like wasting even one CD, and the fact that K3b
>>> could write ~something~ to the disc, enough to bugger it up, is
>>> maddening. Ric
>>>

>> Thanks, Ric, but I checked and the 'user' *is *a member of the 'cdrom'
>> group.
>>
>> As I stated (because my own 'backup' computer now being used does not
>> have the ability to burn CDs/DVDs 'cause I lost the mobo - see thread
>> Any Suggestion?) I have had to use my wife's computer to do any burning
>> and I have had no problems doing so until the last ugrades I put thru to
>> 10.04.1 Lucid.
>>
>> I conclude that something to do with KDE has something to do with this
>> sudden change in behaviour of K3b.
>>
>> In one way perhaps - I say perhaps - I am glad because I won't have to
>> install all that additional KDE stuff to have K3b working :-) .
>>
>> (OK, I won't show my face in kubuntu for a while, right? :-) .)
>>
>> BC
>>

> If your wife's computer is running Windows, get Burncdcc.exe. It's
> free, and its
> only purpose in life is to burn .iso files to disks, so it's hard to
> screw up! --doug

My wife's computer has been Windows free for some 5 years now.

So Burncdcc.exe cannot feature in any scenario :-) .

BC