Old 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Franz Waldmüller

Default Advise on motherboard purchase

Hi,

I am about to assemble a new PC as my really old ones are dying. I don't
like to buy a new machine every two years that is why I am looking for
some "future proof" components.

The PC should work with ubuntu without any additional configuration.
One of the components which I could not decide yet is the mainboard.
At the moment this mainboard is my favorite choice:
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV&templete=2

I am going to explain my thoughts and needs:
-) I want to use *ECC memory* which reduced my choice to AMD-CPUs and
ASUS motherboards (Intel only supports ECC in it's Xenon-CPUs)

-) I want an *IGP* as I don't have a need for a dedicated video card.
GIMP, Inkscape and some video-editing are the most demanding
applications I am currently using. The don't use GPU-acceleration, yet.
The IGP of this motherboard is an Radeaon HD 4290 GPU. This should be
fine for using Compiz and watching movies. At them moment I have the
impression that AMD/ATI is contributing more to the development of open
source drivers, which I intend to use. And that the Radeon HD 4290 is
the best IGP available. I don't use the PC to play games.

-) USB3.0 and SataIII are nice features of this motherboard, too.

Of special interest would be any feedback related to ACPI. I intend to
use ubuntu 10.04LTS as I need a stable system. If some components need
ubuntu 10.10 I could use this version as well.

Thanks for your help!
Franz

Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Carlos Alberto Alves

On 10/01/2010 12:51 PM, Franz Waldmüller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to assemble a new PC as my really old ones are dying. I don't
> like to buy a new machine every two years that is why I am looking for
> some "future proof" components.
>
> The PC should work with ubuntu without any additional configuration.
> One of the components which I could not decide yet is the mainboard.
> At the moment this mainboard is my favorite choice:
> Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV&templete=2
>
> I am going to explain my thoughts and needs:
> -) I want to use *ECC memory* which reduced my choice to AMD-CPUs and
> ASUS motherboards (Intel only supports ECC in it's Xenon-CPUs)
>
> -) I want an *IGP* as I don't have a need for a dedicated video card.
> GIMP, Inkscape and some video-editing are the most demanding
> applications I am currently using. The don't use GPU-acceleration, yet.
> The IGP of this motherboard is an Radeaon HD 4290 GPU. This should be
> fine for using Compiz and watching movies. At them moment I have the
> impression that AMD/ATI is contributing more to the development of open
> source drivers, which I intend to use. And that the Radeon HD 4290 is
> the best IGP available. I don't use the PC to play games.
>
> -) USB3.0 and SataIII are nice features of this motherboard, too.
>
> Of special interest would be any feedback related to ACPI. I intend to
> use ubuntu 10.04LTS as I need a stable system. If some components need
> ubuntu 10.10 I could use this version as well.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Franz

IMHO, it is an excellent choice and Hybrid CrossFireX support may be
very useful in a near future.
I have just assembled a new PC with a model M4A785TD-M EVO. It worked
out-of-the-box, not a single BIOS adjustment. This MB has an on-board
video Radeon 4200; also excellent until now. HD movies have been great.
Good luck,

Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Carlos Alberto Alves wrote:
> On 10/01/2010 12:51 PM, Franz Waldmüller wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am about to assemble a new PC as my really old ones are dying. I don't
>> like to buy a new machine every two years that is why I am looking for
>> some "future proof" components.
>>
>> The PC should work with ubuntu without any additional configuration.
>> One of the components which I could not decide yet is the mainboard.
>> At the moment this mainboard is my favorite choice:
>> Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
>> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV&templete=2
>>
>> I am going to explain my thoughts and needs:
>> -) I want to use *ECC memory* which reduced my choice to AMD-CPUs and
>> ASUS motherboards (Intel only supports ECC in it's Xenon-CPUs)
>>
>> -) I want an *IGP* as I don't have a need for a dedicated video card.
>> GIMP, Inkscape and some video-editing are the most demanding
>> applications I am currently using. The don't use GPU-acceleration, yet.
>> The IGP of this motherboard is an Radeaon HD 4290 GPU. This should be
>> fine for using Compiz and watching movies. At them moment I have the
>> impression that AMD/ATI is contributing more to the development of open
>> source drivers, which I intend to use. And that the Radeon HD 4290 is
>> the best IGP available. I don't use the PC to play games.
>>
>> -) USB3.0 and SataIII are nice features of this motherboard, too.
>>
>> Of special interest would be any feedback related to ACPI. I intend to
>> use ubuntu 10.04LTS as I need a stable system. If some components need
>> ubuntu 10.10 I could use this version as well.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>> Franz

Personally, when I hear future-proof, I pass on integrated items. I
would skip the integrated video. Get a mainboard with the best/latest
video interconnect. Modular is the way to go, allows for easier upgrades....

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy in the internet.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Kai Presler-Marshall

If you're going to get a motherboard with integrated ATI graphics, also get a cheap nVidia card.* I have a PhII X4 955 and a Radeon HD4200 setup that doesn't work right in Linux.* Frequent ATI driver crashes, odd corruption on the screen, and choppiness.* However, I have no issues with my Intel GFX and the 2 nVidia GPUs I have.* But, fundamentally, a PhII X4/X6 or an Athlon II X4 would make a great choice for CPUs

Kai

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:

On 01-Oct-10 16:51:06 Franz Waldmüller wrote:

>Hi,

>I am about to assemble a new PC as my really old ones are dying. I don't

>like to buy a new machine every two years that is why I am looking for

>some "future proof" components.

I built a PC about a year ago, and one problem I found out after

assembling was that the motherboard had a huge amount of USB on

the motherboard, but the tower only had a few sockets.

Most of the USB couldnt be utilized, these are the sockets which

connect to the ones at the front of the tower.

Unless someone knows how to utilize these.

USB3 is the main reason I need to upgrade also, as it seems to need

a PCIexpress card, but the current motherboard has just 1 PCI express

slot used by the graphics card.

I like the transparent tower cases, as there is more light for making

changes, less need for a torch. Also they look cool with neon light

Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 PM

Old 10-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Hi,

the other important thing to state when building a PC is the budget!

clearly if your budget is 1000000 quid the advice is different

from if its 300 quid.

perhaps if you can give your budget and give online URLs that you

intend to purchase from, people can then shop around for you relative to that.

As building a PC is extremely specific, and depends on what components

are available at that precise moment in time from a precise set of vendors.

1 week later and the advice is different. eg I usually go for "sale" graphics

cards, eg reduced in price from 100 to 50 quid. end of season cards, save a

lot of money. And I go for a cheap Microsoft keyboard, logitech optical mouse.

quality for some things, value for others.

I tend to use dabs.com but thats if you are in the UK. Their choice is so huge

you can spend hours deciding on just 1 component.

perhaps also people reading this discussion can recommend other online stores

they found useful, and say for which country the store is.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Doug

On 10/1/2010 4:59 PM, r wrote:
> On 01-Oct-10 16:51:06 Franz Waldmüller wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I am about to assemble a new PC as my really old ones are dying. I don't
>> like to buy a new machine every two years that is why I am looking for
>> some "future proof" components.
>
> I built a PC about a year ago, and one problem I found out after
>
> assembling was that the motherboard had a huge amount of USB on
>
> the motherboard, but the tower only had a few sockets.
>
> Most of the USB couldnt be utilized, these are the sockets which
>
> connect to the ones at the front of the tower.
>
> Unless someone knows how to utilize these.

/snip/
A number of companies make cables to go from the mobo to the front
panel of the computer. Unfortunately, most of them will require
you to make your own adaptation to mount the front panel sockets.
I made one for dual usb connectors on a blank panel for a 3½" drive
bay. I fastened the connectors with hot glue. Somebody must make
this ready-to-go, but I don't know who. I got my extensions from

http://www.frontx.com/panel_mount.html

BTW: It's not so easy to make neat rectangular holes in a plastic
panel. If I were doing it again, I think I'd find a thin piece of
sheet metal to mount the connectors, then make a big ugly rectangular
hole in the plastic false front, and rivet or bolt the neat sheet metal
piece to the cut-out plastic. Quicker and less hassle. Of course, if
your front panel has some unoccupied flat metal space, you could mount
the connectors there.

To make neat rectangular holes in sheet metal, use an Adelâ„¢ nibbling
tool. Drill a starting hole in the middle of the workspace to fit
the nibbler in, and then make the nice rectangular hole.

--doug

Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 PM

On 01-Oct-10 23:48:52 Doug wrote:
>On 10/1/2010 4:59 PM, r wrote:
>> On 01-Oct-10 16:51:06 Franz Waldmüller wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>
>>> I am about to assemble a new PC as my really old ones are dying. I don't
>>> like to buy a new machine every two years that is why I am looking for
>>> some "future proof" components.
>>
>> I built a PC about a year ago, and one problem I found out after
>>
>> assembling was that the motherboard had a huge amount of USB on
>>
>> the motherboard, but the tower only had a few sockets.
>>
>> Most of the USB couldnt be utilized, these are the sockets which
>>
>> connect to the ones at the front of the tower.
>>
>> Unless someone knows how to utilize these.
>>
>/snip/
>A number of companies make cables to go from the mobo to the front
>panel of the computer. Unfortunately, most of them will require
>you to make your own adaptation to mount the front panel sockets.

can you just leave the cables loose?

eg just tape them down.

can you give a URL for USB cables like the ones towers use

for the tower USB sockets at the front of a tower?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Thufir Hawat

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 00:02:11 +0100, r wrote:

> for the tower USB sockets at the front of a tower?

GIYF:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=USB+sockets+at+the+front+of+a+tower

While I wouldn't claim to be good at this stuff, I think that the first
result is what you want, a company called frontix

-Thufir

Old 10-01-2010, 11:25 PM

On 02-Oct-10 00:14:14 Thufir Hawat wrote:
>On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 00:02:11 +0100, r wrote:

>> for the tower USB sockets at the front of a tower?
>>

>GIYF:

this applies to the other guy who replied!

>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=USB+sockets+at+the+front+of+a+tower

>While I wouldn't claim to be good at this stuff, I think that the first
>result is what you want, a company called frontix

it looks really cool, if the other guy is reading this

it converts a drive bay into a panel of sockets!

this will give a huge boost to the PC I built,