Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 PM
NoOp

Default TalkTalk + Huawei HG521 + Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386 + misery, ANY IDEAS?

On 10/01/2010 08:10 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 1 October 2010 16:12, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
>> at the top right, the leftmost icon is concentric circles like a "sonar"
>> image with a red exclamation mark.
>>

> That's the puppy!
>
>> when I click that I see:
>>
>> (Wired Network)
>> (disconnected)
>> (Wireless Networks)
>> (disconnected)
>> VPN Connections Configure VPN...
>> (Disconnect VPN...)
>>

> That's basically bad. It means that we didn't detect your USB wireless
> dongle (assuming it's plugged in).

He later said:
"it then says some_network_name Connection Established."

Sounds to me like a DNS issue. Perhaps putting in the DNS directly will
resolve the problem? If nothing else try 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS).

http://www.help.talktalk.net/servicestatus.htm

Firefox is also going into offline mode:
"sometimes it says "Offline mode .... try again""
He needs to make sure the browser is in online mode.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:22 PM
NoOp

On 10/01/2010 08:33 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 1 October 2010 16:29, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> He later said:
>> "it then says some_network_name Connection Established."
>>

> I figured that was the result of _creating_ a wireless network, not
> connecting to one. I have used this menu option to create an ad-hoc
> network between a PC and a Palm TX before, with no access point
> involved. It says 'connected' when in fact it means 'created a
> network'.

Ah. I suspect you are correct... sorry for the noise :-)