Old 10-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default Grub Configuration in Lucid

Hi All,
My desktop runs Ubuntu Lucid. I want to add an item to the Grub menu to boot from an ISO image. Here is my dpkg output for Grub:
$ dpkg -l |grep grub

ii *grub-common * * * * * * * * * * * * * 1.98-1ubuntu7 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (common files)ii *grub-pc * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 1.98-1ubuntu7 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)

Is it possible to use this version to boot an ISO?I think I read once that Lucid comes with GRUB2 installed...
Should I install the grub2 package?

Also, can someone direct me to a resource to configure the Grub in Lucid to boot an ISO image?
Thanks!

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

Old 10-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Goh Lip

On Friday 01,October,2010 10:22 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My desktop runs Ubuntu Lucid. I want to add an item to the Grub menu to
> boot from an ISO image. Here is my dpkg output for Grub:
>
> $ dpkg -l |grep grub
> ii grub-common 1.98-1ubuntu7
> GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (common files)
> ii grub-pc 1.98-1ubuntu7
> GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)
>
> Is it possible to use this version to boot an ISO?
> I think I read once that Lucid comes with GRUB2 installed...
>
> Should I install the grub2 package?
>
> Also, can someone direct me to a resource to configure the Grub in Lucid
> to boot an ISO image?
>
> Thanks!

Yes, grub2 lets you boot an iso file, but how the menu entry is written
depends on the livecd iso itself. For example, Ubuntu uses casper and
others, like gmrl and rescuecd uses others. You need to check their boot
methods by "mount -o loop xxxxx" first to check this out.

Also casper lets you keep changes in setting and installed applications
by using 'persistent' and casper-rw.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Amichai Rotman

Actually, I am trying to boot Windows XP Installation CD. I guess I'd give you'all the complete picture:
I once slipstreamed my Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and made an ISO of it. I'd like to use this ISO to boot into the Windows XP Installation and install Windows to an SD card connected to one of the USBs.

I'd like to use it as a Live Windows XP *- only as a last resort kinda thing - mainly to backup and update my Nokia Smartphones, sadly all I have tried didn't work.
I really don't want to use that other OS - so I want to pop the SD card in my Asus Eee PC 1000HA Netbook only if it's absolutely*necessary.

Thanks!*
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

.:================================================ ====:.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM
NoOp

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=grub2+%2Bboot+from+iso&b tnG=Search>

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

> Should I install the grub2 package?

See above.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Goh Lip

On Friday 01,October,2010 11:08 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Actually, I am trying to boot Windows XP Installation CD. I guess I'd
> give you'all the complete picture:
>
> I once slipstreamed my Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and made an ISO of
> it. I'd like to use this ISO to boot into the Windows XP Installation
> and install Windows to an SD card connected to one of the USBs.
>
> I'd like to use it as a Live Windows XP - only as a last resort kinda
> thing - mainly to backup and update my Nokia Smartphones, sadly all I
> have tried didn't work.
>
> I really don't want to use that other OS - so I want to pop the SD card
> in my Asus Eee PC 1000HA Netbook only if it's absolutely necessary.
>
> Thanks!

I really don't know how to boot a windows iso from grub2, and I don't
even know if that is possible. Offhand, I would think that's not
possible, but if others here can confirm or know otherwise, please chip in.

But I do sometimes (rarely, nowadays) boot up Ubuntu's livecd iso and
others. If you need a sample grub2 menuentry, I can provide these, but
windows....never.

So sorry, I cannot be of further assistance on this.

Oh boy, Amichai, you guys have really made me much aware of my
limitations, even as a grub2 advocate.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Goh Lip

On Friday 01,October,2010 11:21 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> I really don't know how to boot a windows iso from grub2, and I don't
> even know if that is possible. Offhand, I would think that's not
> possible, but if others here can confirm or know otherwise, please chip in.

First entry of google search

http://www.hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14110

Regards, good luck - Goh Lip

-