Old 10-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Alan Pope

Default screen lock does not disappear even after sending interrupts

On 1 October 2010 14:20, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem I am reporting is when at the end of 59th minutes say *55
> seconds or so I see that a screen saver is slowly becoming active then
> I do some activity with my keyboard or use my mouse so that the screen
> saver does not become active these events do not have any effect on
> this process and I get a
> screen locked.
> Ideally on an event like pressing a key or moving mouse pointer to
> some random location irrespective of 59th minute and last few seconds
> when I see the screen lock slowly coming
> the computer was not idle so screen saver should not become idle.

This is a bug. You can search for it or file a new one here:-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-screensaver/+bugs

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Tony Pursell

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 18:50 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit with all the updates.
> The problem I am reporting is with gnome lock.
> Which should lock the screen only after a certain period of time the
> computer has been inert.
> What is happening in this process is when I see the screen with my
> browser and other active windows open
> slowly after some time this becomes dark and lock.
> The time which is set is in
> System --->Preferences-->Screen Saver
> is 60 minutes.
> The problem I am reporting is when at the end of 59th minutes say 55
> seconds or so I see that a screen saver is slowly becoming active then
> do some activity with my keyboard or use my mouse so that the screen
> saver does not become active these events do not have any effect on
> this process and I get a
> screen locked.
> Ideally on an event like pressing a key or moving mouse pointer to
> some random location irrespective of 59th minute and last few seconds
> when I see the screen lock slowly coming
> the computer was not idle so screen saver should not become idle.
>
> --
> Tapas

What I see, Tapas, is my screen darkening. That is when I move my
mouse, or something, to stop the screen locking. It provides me with
quite enough time to take action when I am, for instance, using Skype AV
to talk to my brother. If the screen saver starts, I know the screen is
locked. The screen saver is not a warning that the screen is about to
lock.

What would be nice is, if certain activities are running, like watching
a video or talking on Skype, that the screen saver did not cut in at
all.

Tony

Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Tony Pursell
<ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 18:50 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> What would be nice is, if certain activities are running, like watching
> a video or talking on Skype, that the screen saver did not cut in at
> all.

Tony I can not be watching movies or skyping in my office.

--
Tapas

Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 AM
"& RU d~_*b"

On Saturday 02 Oct 2010 10:42:27 am Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Tony Pursell
>
> <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 18:50 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> > What would be nice is, if certain activities are running, like watching
> > a video or talking on Skype, that the screen saver did not cut in at
> > all.
>
> Tony I can not be watching movies or skyping in my office.

When I was in Sun IT support, I had a similar case where the guy did not want
the Screen Lock to activate as he was monitoring a server over a vnc session and
also did not want to spend time just gazing at the screen.

So I developed a simple Java console app that clicked the primary mouse button
wherever the pointer was placed at intervals < than the screen lock time

--
& RU d~_*b