Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Where are kernel debuginfo packages?

On 01/10/2010 19:13, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> It seems that I need the kernel debuginfo packages to use SystemTap.
> But I could not find those packages in main/universe/multiverse repos.
> Finally I had to compile the kernel from source with debuginfo, but
> that is a pain.
>
> So, could you please point me to any ubuntu repository that makes
> available debuginfo kernel packages AND keeps them updated in sync
> with regular Ubuntu (kernel) updates?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> -Santanu

You have looked in System/Administration/Synaptic Manager for
'systemtap' haven't you?

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

Old 10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
NoOp

On 10/01/2010 02:13 AM, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> It seems that I need the kernel debuginfo packages to use SystemTap.
> But I could not find those packages in main/universe/multiverse repos.
> Finally I had to compile the kernel from source with debuginfo, but
> that is a pain.
>
> So, could you please point me to any ubuntu repository that makes
> available debuginfo kernel packages AND keeps them updated in sync
> with regular Ubuntu (kernel) updates?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/systemtap

This might be of interest as well:
http://lttng.org/
<http://lttng.org/content/lttng-patched-kernel-package-available-ubuntu-maverick>

Old 10-01-2010, 04:40 PM
C de-Avillez

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:43:34 +0530
Santanu Chatterjee <thisissantanu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> It seems that I need the kernel debuginfo packages to use SystemTap.
> But I could not find those packages in main/universe/multiverse
> repos. Finally I had to compile the kernel from source with
> debuginfo, but that is a pain.
>
> So, could you please point me to any ubuntu repository that makes
> available debuginfo kernel packages AND keeps them updated in sync
> with regular Ubuntu (kernel) updates?

kernel symbols are provided by the corresponding -dbgsym package.
These packages are available in the ddebs repository, not present on
standard installs. There might be a delay on having the dbgsym put
available after a new version of a package is published.

Note that the kernel debug package is BIG. Expect O(1.5Gbytes) of disk
usage when installed.

To enable (from [1]):

* Create an /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ddebs.list by running the
following line at a terminal (one single line):

echo "deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com $(lsb_release -cs) main restricted universe multiverse" |
sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ddebs.list

* Stable releases (not alphas and betas) require three more lines
adding to the same file, which is done by the following terminal
command (one single line):

echo "deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com $(lsb_release -cs)-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com $(lsb_release -cs)-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com $(lsb_release -cs)-proposed main restricted universe multiverse" |
sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ddebs.list

* You may also add these lines using the Synaptic Package Manager:

* Choose Synaptic via the System > Administration menu.
* Choose Software Sources or Repositories via the Settings menu, and
click on the Third-Party Software tab.
* Click the Add button and enter each deb ... line as above one by
one and click the Add Source button (you will have to add these
lines one at a time).

* Import the debug symbol archive signing key:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 428D7C01 5E0577F2

* Then run

sudo apt-get update

to update your package list or click the Reload button if you used the Synaptic Package Manager.

-x-x-x-x-x-

For example, for the current Maverick kernel
linux-image-2.6.35-22-generic, the corresponding debug package is
linux-image-2.6.35-22-generic-dbgsym.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash
--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Santanu Chatterjee

Thanks a lot for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I recently became aware of .ddeb packages after I created the kernel
package from source with debug info included, and it turned out to be
a ddeb package. At first I did'nt know what to do with it, but tried
to install it anyway, and it got installed!

Thanks and Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee