Old 10-01-2010, 05:36 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default restoring a guest OS from lvm backup

Hi,
I took a backup of a guest OS running in an LVM.

When I took the backup I created a snpashot of LVM and mounted that
snapshot in some location.
Used rsync to copy its contents to a USB drive.
Can I boot "somehow"from this copy of Guest OS which is now in USB drive?
I am using KVM on 64 bit 10.04.

--
Tapas

Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Tapas Mishra

What I tried it is I created another LVM name back on same volumegroup
and the filesystem on backup and lvm1 are same except presence of a
swap space.
Copied the contents of backup direcotries on USB to this backup lvm
but when I try to boot from virt-manager
by restore a saved OS I get following

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/manager.py", line 652, in
restore_saved_callback
newconn.restore(file_to_load)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 681, in restore
self.vmm.restore(frm)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 1453, in restore
if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainRestore() failed', conn=self)
libvirtError: operation failed: image magic is incorrect

--
Tapas