Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default firefox memory consumption 100% on Lucid 64

I am using Ubuntu 64 bit 10.04.
I am not doing any thing other than web browsing on my machine.
I see many times firefox3.6.8 consuming 100% resources.
Once or twice I would have ignored it.
But is is regularly happening to an extent that I need to open Command prompt
and kill firefox.
What should I be doing?

--
Tapas

Old 10-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

I am not doing any thing other than web browsing on my machine.

I see many times firefox3.6.8 consuming 100% resources.

Once or twice I would have ignored it.

But is is regularly happening to an extent that I need to open Command prompt

and kill firefox.

What should I be doing?

--

Tapas

Must be the bloody fl@ss plugin...I usually look around what pages are open and close all unneeded ones. Many times it's one of these pages where fl@ss is usually misbehaving.

-vb
http://pointelement.blogspot.com/

Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 AM
Tapas Mishra

What is that fl@ss plugin can you give a link?

--
Tapas

Old 10-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

*On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> I am using Ubuntu 64 bit 10.04.

>> I am not doing any thing other than web browsing on my machine.

>> I see many times firefox3.6.8 consuming 100% resources.

>> Once or twice I would have ignored it.

>> But is is regularly happening to an extent that I need to open Command

>> prompt

>> and kill firefox.

>> What should I be doing?

>> --

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Vaibhav Dalvi <vaibhav.dlv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Must be the bloody fl@ss plugin...I usually look around what pages are open

> and close all unneeded ones. Many times it's one of these pages where fl@ss

> is usually misbehaving.

What is that fl@ss plugin can you give a link?

--

Tapas

*
Its good old FLASH plugin.
Which sucks a cow out of hell! [That's not my terminology, but it fits.] If there's some way you can stop the FLASH plugin then you'll get rid of 100% usage. If in your system monitor, you see the process 'plugin-container' taking ~100% processor, then 99% it's FLASH PLAYER that's misbehaving. (It can crash anything - couple of years ago it even crashed my freeDOS! - Just Kidding.)

[From this point onwards I'm going to call it YOU-KNOW-WHAT plugin...Even saying it's name is an unbearable sin! ]

[And change my signature to:
-vb
ADOBE FLASH SUCKS!]

Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Tapas Mishra

Hmmm,
I was not browsing any website that used flash.
These were all Linux tutorials.So is that still possible that
flash plugin interfere with my browsing.

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Vaibhav Dalvi <vaibhav.dlv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its good old FLASH plugin.
> Which sucks a cow out of hell! [That's not my terminology, but it fits.] If
> there's some way you can stop the FLASH plugin then you'll get rid of 100%
Hmmm,
I was not browsing any website that used flash.
These were all Linux tutorials.So is that still possible that
flash plugin interfere with my browsing.

> usage. If in your system monitor, you see the process 'plugin-container'
I do not see any plugin-container
> taking ~100% processor, then 99% it's FLASH PLAYER that's misbehaving. (It
> can crash anything - couple of years ago it even crashed my freeDOS! - Just
> Kidding.)

Tapas

Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Franz Waldmüller

Hi,

Vaibhav Dalvi wrote:
[snip]> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Tapas Mishra
<mightydreams@gmail.com>wrote:

[snip]

> Its good old *FLASH* plugin.
> Which sucks a cow out of hell! [That's not my terminology, but it fits.] If
> there's some way you can stop the *FLASH* plugin then you'll get rid of 100%
> usage. If in your system monitor, you see the process 'plugin-container'
> taking ~100% processor, then 99% it's *FLASH PLAYER* that's misbehaving. (It
> can crash anything - couple of years ago it even crashed my freeDOS! - Just
> Kidding.)
> [From this point onwards I'm going to call it *YOU-KNOW-WHAT* plugin...Even
> saying it's name is an unbearable sin! ]
> [And change my signature to:
> -vb
> *ADOBE FLASH SUCKS!]*

Supporting the free software alternative GNASH could ease your
dependency on the Adobe flash plugin. Donating to support the
development is always a good idea:

What is gnash? Take a look at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

The gnash project developers site:
http://gnashdev.org/

Direct link to donate:
http://www.openmedianow.org/?q=node/32

In gnash version 0.8.8 all youtube videos should be working.
http://gnashdev.org/?q=node/76

Franz

Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Alan Pope

On 1 October 2010 05:41, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 64 bit 10.04.
> I am not doing any thing other than web browsing on my machine.
> I see many times firefox3.6.8 consuming 100% resources.
> Once or twice I would have ignored it.
> But is is regularly happening to an extent that I need to open Command prompt
> and kill firefox.
> What should I be doing?

The quick solution? Install Google Chrome or Chromium. It's faster in
most ways, and eats less memory.

That's my experience anyway.

Al.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

> The quick solution? Install Google Chrome or Chromium. It's faster in
> most ways, and eats less memory.

I want to know the root cause of problem.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Alan Pope

On 1 October 2010 07:56, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>
>> The quick solution? Install Google Chrome or Chromium. It's faster in
>> most ways, and eats less memory.
>
> I want to know the root cause of problem.

Hard to tell without knowing what websites you had open and what
extensions you have installed.

Next time it happens you could capture that data perhaps?

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Tapas Mishra