Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 AM
NoOp

Default Installer

I resized my Lucid partition & left a 20Gb unallocated section (from a
previous Maverick install) available to install/reinstall Maverick.
Using the Sept 29 daily Maverick liveCD (which has changed considerably
from previous versions) I select 'Install alongside other operating
systems' & the shows that my lucid is only 143.1GB (it's 173GB) and the
target /dev/sda6 is 30.2GB (it's only 20GB).

At this point I abort because I think that the installer is also picking
up the unallocated & Win7 recovery partitions & 5.9GB swap. If this is
the case then it's a pretty dangerous situation. I'll dig into it in
more detail tomorrow, but is anyone else seeing the same?

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ntfs 208MB
/dev/sda2 ntfs 104857MB (Win7)
free space 2033MB
/deb/sda5 ext4 173236MB (this is my lucid)
free space 20975MB (this is the old maverick test partion)
/dev/sda6 swap 5969MB
/dev/sda3 ntfs 12788MB (Win7 recovery)

I can of course manually install to 'free space 20975MB', but the
differences in the 'Install alongside other operating systems' concerns
me. Why would it want to shrink my sda5?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 AM
NoOp

On 09/30/2010 06:42 PM, NoOp wrote:
> I resized my Lucid partition & left a 20Gb unallocated section (from a
> previous Maverick install) available to install/reinstall Maverick.
> Using the Sept 29 daily Maverick liveCD (which has changed considerably
> from previous versions) I select 'Install alongside other operating
> systems' & the shows that my lucid is only 143.1GB (it's 173GB) and the
> target /dev/sda6 is 30.2GB (it's only 20GB).
>
> At this point I abort because I think that the installer is also picking
> up the unallocated & Win7 recovery partitions & 5.9GB swap. If this is
> the case then it's a pretty dangerous situation. I'll dig into it in
> more detail tomorrow, but is anyone else seeing the same?
>
> /dev/sda
> /dev/sda1 ntfs 208MB
> /dev/sda2 ntfs 104857MB (Win7)
> free space 2033MB
> /deb/sda5 ext4 173236MB (this is my lucid)
> free space 20975MB (this is the old maverick test partion)
> /dev/sda6 swap 5969MB
> /dev/sda3 ntfs 12788MB (Win7 recovery)
>
> I can of course manually install to 'free space 20975MB', but the
> differences in the 'Install alongside other operating systems' concerns
> me. Why would it want to shrink my sda5?

And... silly me, I forgot to add that there is no sign of wireless once
I installed on the new partion. Previous Maverick had wireless working
just fine (but it was an lucid to maverick update so perhaps that is the
reason). Boot to the lucid partition & wireless is working from the
out-of-the-box install. Sigh..SOS... but we've now even more Ubuntu One
defaults & that should make things much better, eh?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 AM
NoOp

On 09/30/2010 07:47 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 06:42 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> I resized my Lucid partition & left a 20Gb unallocated section (from a
>> previous Maverick install) available to install/reinstall Maverick.
>> Using the Sept 29 daily Maverick liveCD (which has changed considerably
>> from previous versions) I select 'Install alongside other operating
>> systems' & the shows that my lucid is only 143.1GB (it's 173GB) and the
>> target /dev/sda6 is 30.2GB (it's only 20GB).
>>
>> At this point I abort because I think that the installer is also picking
>> up the unallocated & Win7 recovery partitions & 5.9GB swap. If this is
>> the case then it's a pretty dangerous situation. I'll dig into it in
>> more detail tomorrow, but is anyone else seeing the same?
>>
>> /dev/sda
>> /dev/sda1 ntfs 208MB
>> /dev/sda2 ntfs 104857MB (Win7)
>> free space 2033MB
>> /deb/sda5 ext4 173236MB (this is my lucid)
>> free space 20975MB (this is the old maverick test partion)
>> /dev/sda6 swap 5969MB
>> /dev/sda3 ntfs 12788MB (Win7 recovery)
>>
>> I can of course manually install to 'free space 20975MB', but the
>> differences in the 'Install alongside other operating systems' concerns
>> me. Why would it want to shrink my sda5?
>
> And... silly me, I forgot to add that there is no sign of wireless once
> I installed on the new partion. Previous Maverick had wireless working
> just fine (but it was an lucid to maverick update so perhaps that is the
> reason). Boot to the lucid partition & wireless is working from the
> out-of-the-box install. Sigh..SOS... but we've now even more Ubuntu One
> defaults & that should make things much better, eh?

OK, I'll stop blogging... wifi works *if* you boot to Win7, enable wifi
there, and then boot back to Maverick. Interesting that if you boot to
lucid and do the same it doesn't work. Obviously it's not bios or Win7
that's holding up the wifi detection as otherwise it wouldn't work in
lucid on the same machine.

Same Old S#$% from previous installs whereby this *still isn't* fixed.
If I get ambitious tomorrow I'll try to find the bug for this. Good luck
to all in the next 10.10 days...

Old 10-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/10/2010 13:14, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 07:47 PM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 09/30/2010 06:42 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> I resized my Lucid partition& left a 20Gb unallocated section (from a
>>> previous Maverick install) available to install/reinstall Maverick.
>>> Using the Sept 29 daily Maverick liveCD (which has changed considerably
>>> from previous versions) I select 'Install alongside other operating
>>> systems'& the shows that my lucid is only 143.1GB (it's 173GB) and the
>>> target /dev/sda6 is 30.2GB (it's only 20GB).
>>>
>>> At this point I abort because I think that the installer is also picking
>>> up the unallocated& Win7 recovery partitions& 5.9GB swap. If this is
>>> the case then it's a pretty dangerous situation. I'll dig into it in
>>> more detail tomorrow, but is anyone else seeing the same?
>>>
>>> /dev/sda
>>> /dev/sda1 ntfs 208MB
>>> /dev/sda2 ntfs 104857MB (Win7)
>>> free space 2033MB
>>> /deb/sda5 ext4 173236MB (this is my lucid)
>>> free space 20975MB (this is the old maverick test partion)
>>> /dev/sda6 swap 5969MB
>>> /dev/sda3 ntfs 12788MB (Win7 recovery)
>>>
>>> I can of course manually install to 'free space 20975MB', but the
>>> differences in the 'Install alongside other operating systems' concerns
>>> me. Why would it want to shrink my sda5?
>>>
>> And... silly me, I forgot to add that there is no sign of wireless once
>> I installed on the new partion. Previous Maverick had wireless working
>> just fine (but it was an lucid to maverick update so perhaps that is the
>> reason). Boot to the lucid partition& wireless is working from the
>> out-of-the-box install. Sigh..SOS... but we've now even more Ubuntu One
>> defaults& that should make things much better, eh?
>>
> OK, I'll stop blogging... wifi works *if* you boot to Win7, enable wifi
> there, and then boot back to Maverick. Interesting that if you boot to
> lucid and do the same it doesn't work. Obviously it's not bios or Win7
> that's holding up the wifi detection as otherwise it wouldn't work in
> lucid on the same machine.
>
> Same Old S#$% from previous installs whereby this *still isn't* fixed.
> If I get ambitious tomorrow I'll try to find the bug for this. Good luck
> to all in the next 10.10 days...

Pretty obvious that none of the devs have wifi installed on their
computers to be able to test this........

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

Old 10-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

Pretty obvious that none of the devs have wifi installed on their

computers to be able to test this........

BC

--

"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"

* * * * * Christina Aquilera

Or is it that they don't have computers to test the OS? [Perhaps they develop ubuntu on a la A-pal EYE-Pad.]Or one blind guy writes some code, another mute tests it and the users are all asylum mates to use it...

<Its morning laugh guys...>
BTW That wifi problem might be related some acpi parameters... I'd a hell of a time trying to get my acer emahines e-727 to behave with lcd brightness control, and now since I've lcd brightness working, the wifi button on the laptop has stopped functioning. If I want to shutdown wifi, I need to right click on nm-applet and uncheck[don't know why but instead of uncheck, DECHECK came to my mind here!] "Enable wireless". Thankfully I'm not bothered much by needing turn on/off wifi since there's no wifi network nearby to me.

This is all on Lucid though. I'm waiting for final release of maverick.

Regards,
Vaibhav Dalvi
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form
habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny.
- Tyron Edwards

My Blog:
http://pointelement.blogspot.com/

Old 10-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/10/2010 14:37, Vaibhav Dalvi wrote:

To begin with, why don't you quote only what is necessary in any of your
material - like the signature lines, for example.

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
> On 01/10/2010 13:14, NoOp wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> Pretty obvious that none of the devs have wifi installed on their
> computers to be able to test this........
>

> Or is it that they don't have computers to test the OS? [Perhaps they
> develop ubuntu on a la A-pal EYE-Pad.]
> Or one blind guy writes some code, another mute tests it and the users
> are all asylum mates to use it...
> <Its morning laugh guys...>

Sorry, it's late evening here....

> BTW That wifi problem might be related some acpi parameters... I'd a
> hell of a time trying to get my acer emahines e-727 to behave with lcd
> brightness control, and now since I've lcd brightness working, the
> wifi button on the laptop has stopped functioning. If I want to
> shutdown wifi, I need to right click on nm-applet and uncheck[don't
> know why but instead of uncheck, DECHECK came to my mind here!]
> "Enable wireless". Thankfully I'm not bothered much by needing turn
> on/off wifi since there's no wifi network nearby to me.

Ummm, if you had been reading this forum, you would have noted that the
devs use laptops - no desktops in sight.

> This is all on Lucid though. I'm waiting for final release of maverick.

Look forward all you want.....the problem NoOp mentioned, and which I
responded to, was all to do with Maverick. Repeat: *Maverick*. That is,
Ubuntu 10.10 which was made available today as Ubuntu 10.10 Release
Candidate, before 10.10's final release on 10 October.

Are you with me, Tree Person? :-) .

BC

Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

you're right his prob is with Maverick. and I shouldn't be yammering this much. Sorry. But all I wanted to tell is that the prob can be acpi related. Acpi is a bit of a mess as I found while dealing with my laptop's brightness problem.

-vb

Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/10/2010 20:01, Vaibhav Dalvi wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
> On 01/10/2010 14:37, Vaibhav Dalvi wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> you're right his prob is with Maverick. and I shouldn't be yammering
> this much.

You're getting there.... :-) .

> Sorry.

Is OK.

Just don't go about supporting the saying, "Employ teenagers while they
know everything", OK? :-) .

Relax. Lay back a little. Take it easy. Consider what is written - then
consider how, and what, to reply :-) . OK, already? :-) .

> But all I wanted to tell is that the prob can be acpi related. Acpi is
> a bit of a mess as I found while dealing with my laptop's brightness
> problem.
> -vb

In this thread, I am not sure that it has anything to do with acpi - but
I may be absolutely wrong, as I don't have a laptop. Nevertheless, if
you thought that it had anything to do with acpi then you should have
mentioned this in one of your responses in this thread. And if you had
done so and I had missed it then I profusely apologise for this
transgression of mine.... (Being over the age of 25 years the mind plays
some funny tricks you know, especially in my case.)

BC

Old 10-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

In this thread, I am not sure that it has anything to do with acpi - but

I may be absolutely wrong, as I don't have a laptop. Nevertheless, if

you thought that it had anything to do with acpi then you should have

mentioned this in one of your responses in this thread. And if you had

done so and I had missed it then I profusely apologise for this

transgression of mine.... (Being over the age of 25 years the mind plays

some funny tricks you know, especially in my case.)

Thanks. And I did mention it(the acpi ). Oh and BTW I'm not much farther from reaching the Above25 Category.

BC

<snip>

-vb
http://pointelement.blogspot.com/

Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/10/2010 20:50, Vaibhav Dalvi wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>

> In this thread, I am not sure that it has anything to do with acpi
> - but
> I may be absolutely wrong, as I don't have a laptop. Nevertheless, if
> you thought that it had anything to do with acpi then you should have
> mentioned this in one of your responses in this thread. And if you had
> done so and I had missed it then I profusely apologise for this
> transgression of mine.... (Being over the age of 25 years the mind
> plays
> some funny tricks you know, especially in my case.)
>

> Thanks. And I did mention it(the acpi ). Oh and BTW I'm not much
> farther from reaching the Above25 Category.

You DO know why the insurance companies differentiate between motor
vehicle drivers aged 25 years and above and those below this age - and
have been doing so for many years?

No? Then go and do some research about this "discrimination" :-) .

BC