Old 10-01-2010, 01:28 AM

Default TalkTalk + Huawei HG521 + Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386 + misery, ANY IDEAS?

replying to myself here!

so far not one suggestion,

IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE?

JUST SHOUT IF YOU CAN HEAR ME

or should I go to a TalkTalk forum to ask about this?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Alan Pope

Hi Richard,

On 1 October 2010 02:28, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
> IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE?

Over 500 at the last count.

> JUST SHOUT IF YOU CAN HEAR ME

"HI".

> On 30-Sep-10 18:40:39 technical500 wrote:
>>Huawei HG521 with a wireless network name SSID, and wireless password
>>I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386
>>I also have a sitecom wireless USB adapter for the PC tower.
>>and have no idea how to get connected to the internet with this,

There's a network manager icon in the notification area at the top
right of the screen. If you click it, it will list wireless access
points in the area. Once you click the one which is yours it should
ask for your password. That should be all you need to do.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Alan Pope

On 1 October 2010 16:12, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
> at the top right, the leftmost icon is concentric circles like a "sonar"
> image with a red exclamation mark.

That's the puppy!

> when I click that I see:
>
> (Wired Network)
> *(disconnected)
> (Wireless Networks)
> *(disconnected)
> VPN Connections Configure VPN...
> * * * * * * * * *(Disconnect VPN...)

That's basically bad. It means that we didn't detect your USB wireless
dongle (assuming it's plugged in).

The rest of your mail describes the process for setting up a network,
but without the hardware being detected it's ultimately futile.

Can you plug the USB stick in and then issue the following commands:-

lsusb

(lima sierra uniform sierra bravo)

You should get a list of USB devices, from which we can get the device
ID (sequence of characters separated by colons) and can figure out if
it can be made to work.

One thing you might like to try if you have an ethernet cable handy is
plug the pc into the access point. I appreciate that the reason for
using wifi is probably because your desktop is some physical distance
from the access point, but this may help. Once connected via a wire,
go to System -> administration -> hardware drivers, and see if it
prompts you to install drivers for the wireless card. Also run System
-> administration -> update manager, and install any/all system
updates, which may also help.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM

On 01-Oct-10 08:08:59 Alan Pope wrote:
>Hi Richard,

>On 1 October 2010 02:28, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
>> IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE?
>>

>Over 500 at the last count.

>> JUST SHOUT IF YOU CAN HEAR ME
>>

>"HI".

I had to do this because there was a reply earlier but not an answer

and people seeing a reply can conclude its an answer.

>> On 30-Sep-10 18:40:39 technical500 wrote:
>>>Huawei HG521 with a wireless network name SSID, and wireless password
>>>I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386
>>>I also have a sitecom wireless USB adapter for the PC tower.
>>>and have no idea how to get connected to the internet with this,

>There's a network manager icon in the notification area at the top
>right of the screen. If you click it, it will list wireless access
>points in the area. Once you click the one which is yours it should
>ask for your password. That should be all you need to do.

ok I have booted the machine.

at the top right, the leftmost icon is concentric circles like a "sonar"
image,

with a red exclamation mark.

when I click that I see:

(Wired Network)
(disconnected)
(Wireless Networks)
(disconnected)
VPN Connections Configure VPN...
(Disconnect VPN...)

Connect to Hidden Wireless Network...
Create New Wireless Network

() means the option cannot be used,

no access points mentioned.

if I click "Create New Wireless Network"

and give the "wireless network name" for "Network name"

Wireless security: I tried WEP 128-bit Passphrase, none and "WPA & WPA2
Personal"

Key/Password: I gave the password

it then says some_network_name Connection Established.

but if I try to visit eg www.google.com

Firefox says "Server not found, .... try again"

sometimes it says "Offline mode .... try again"

now when I click the sonar icon, it shows some_network_name as well, and to
the right

a television icon with a sonar image, a sonar icon with a padlock,

but it doesnt show the list I get of other peoples modems which appears

on Windows (there are 2 others currently if I use the Windows laptop)

with Configure VPN, I am not sure what the values are, eg

what is BSSID?

what is Mac address? is this the MAC: number written on the modem?

what is Mode: ?

on Ubuntu sometimes a "Wireless Network Authentication Required" requester
appears,

I click "connect" and still I cannot visit URLs with Firefox.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Alan Pope

On 1 October 2010 16:29, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> He later said:
> "it then says some_network_name Connection Established."

I figured that was the result of _creating_ a wireless network, not
connecting to one. I have used this menu option to create an ad-hoc
network between a PC and a Palm TX before, with no access point
involved. It says 'connected' when in fact it means 'created a
network'.

Still, I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM

On 01-Oct-10 16:10:29 Alan Pope wrote:
>On 1 October 2010 16:12, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
>> at the top right, the leftmost icon is concentric circles like a "sonar"
>> image with a red exclamation mark.
>>

>That's the puppy!

>> when I click that I see:
>>
>> (Wired Network)
>> *(disconnected)
>> (Wireless Networks)
>> *(disconnected)
>> VPN Connections Configure VPN...
>> * * * * * * * * *(Disconnect VPN...)
>>

>That's basically bad. It means that we didn't detect your USB wireless
>dongle (assuming it's plugged in).

>The rest of your mail describes the process for setting up a network,
>but without the hardware being detected it's ultimately futile.

>Can you plug the USB stick in and then issue the following commands:-

>lsusb

>(lima sierra uniform sierra bravo)

>You should get a list of USB devices, from which we can get the device
>ID (sequence of characters separated by colons) and can figure out if
>it can be made to work.

some sockets seem to not function, I found one which did, luckily I have

2 machines and can copy from the Ubuntu screen on the one to the email on the

other:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0df6:003f Sitecom Europe B.V.

>One thing you might like to try if you have an ethernet cable handy is
>plug the pc into the access point. I appreciate that the reason for
>using wifi is probably because your desktop is some physical distance
>from the access point, but this may help. Once connected via a wire,
>go to System -> administration -> hardware drivers, and see if it
>prompts you to install drivers for the wireless card. Also run System
>-> administration -> update manager, and install any/all system
>updates, which may also help.

as its a lot of effort I'll supply the above info first.

some weeks ago with Ubuntu 8.? I did move the machine to the modem

and with the Ethernet cable everything functioned immediately without problem.

unfortunately I then reinstalled Windows and Ubuntu wasnt on the boot screen.

reinstalling Ubuntu just led to the Windows boot screen. Eventually I
installed

this very recent Ubuntu and got all the boot options. But have lost the

stuff I installed with the ethernet cable. I think it will function

immediately with the cable, but if you can resolve the problem without

having to do this that would be preferable.

let me know when its necessary to connect with the cable.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM

On 01-Oct-10 16:29:25 NoOp wrote:
>On 10/01/2010 08:10 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 1 October 2010 16:12, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
>>> at the top right, the leftmost icon is concentric circles like a "sonar"
>>> image with a red exclamation mark.
>>>

>> That's the puppy!
>>
>>> when I click that I see:
>>>
>>> (Wired Network)
>>> (disconnected)
>>> (Wireless Networks)
>>> (disconnected)
>>> VPN Connections » Configure VPN...
>>> (Disconnect VPN...)
>>>

>> That's basically bad. It means that we didn't detect your USB wireless
>> dongle (assuming it's plugged in).

>He later said:
>"it then says some_network_name Connection Established."

at the top the sonar icon has the waves moving out and back continuously.

>Sounds to me like a DNS issue. Perhaps putting in the DNS directly will
>resolve the problem? If nothing else try 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS).

>http://www.help.talktalk.net/servicestatus.htm

>Firefox is also going into offline mode:
>"sometimes it says "Offline mode .... try again""
>He needs to make sure the browser is in online mode.

I tried changing to online, and also tried 8.8.8.8 as the URL but

Firefox says:

Server not found .... try again

according to Windows the network is WPA encrypted,

presumably on Ubuntu I should select "Wireless Security" to

WPA & WPA2 Personal

?

if there is any info I can get from the Windows side which does function

let me know, eg I found its WPA encrypted from the Windows side.

or if I should install a different version of Ubuntu,

Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Alan Pope

On 1 October 2010 16:48, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0df6:003f Sitecom Europe B.V.

Ok, so you're not alone in this. If you google for the 0df6:003f
sequence of digits and the word Ubuntu you'll find others who have the
same issue. The following blog post I stumbled upon seems to detail
some quite technical details for fixing it. Shouldn't need to move the
machine for this.

http://johnsunixtips.blogspot.com/2010/08/sitecom-wireless-wl-608-54g-usb-dongle.html

> and with the Ethernet cable everything functioned immediately without problem.

Its possible you might get it working without the detail in that blog
post, but I am not 100% convinced of that.

> unfortunately I then reinstalled Windows and Ubuntu wasnt on the boot screen.

For future reference if you install Windows after Ubuntu and it scrubs
the boot screen, this page fixes that:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:40 PM

On 01-Oct-10 17:01:04 Alan Pope wrote:
>On 1 October 2010 16:48, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0df6:003f Sitecom Europe B.V.
>>

>Ok, so you're not alone in this. If you google for the 0df6:003f
>sequence of digits and the word Ubuntu you'll find others who have the
>same issue. The following blog post I stumbled upon seems to detail
>some quite technical details for fixing it. Shouldn't need to move the
>machine for this.

>http://johnsunixtips.blogspot.com/2010/08/sitecom-wireless-wl-608-54g-usb-dongle.html

I'll have a study of that and report back.

one thing to note is that you cannot install the modem on Windows using
Windows built in

options eg their "Control Panel" programs, it can only be installed with the
TalkTalk CD

which suggests there is something nonstandard about the modem.

>> and with the Ethernet cable everything functioned immediately without
>problem.
>>

>Its possible you might get it working without the detail in that blog
>post, but I am not 100% convinced of that.

>> unfortunately I then reinstalled Windows and Ubuntu wasnt on the boot
>screen.
>>

>For future reference if you install Windows after Ubuntu and it scrubs
>the boot screen, this page fixes that:-

>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

I've noted the URL in my Linux notes,

the problem can happen both ways, also sometimes Windows and Linux will

create all the boot options.

I need both Windows and Linux, many people will only use one OS,

but I find that if you do that you deny yourself various opportunities

for example I make sector backups of volumes using Linux "dd"

to other volumes which has to be the best way of backing up a drive

eg to make a verbatim image of the Windows C volume, far better than

Windows System Restore.

and I use Linux gdb to locate bugs when I write portable software.

but there are some products where the software is Windows only.

also I try to install both 32 and 64 bit Ubuntu, to test whether

my own programs are both 32 and 64 bit compatible. ie I try to

have a triple boot machine: Ubuntu32 Ubuntu64 and XP

but I never use Apple!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:15 PM

On 01-Oct-10 17:01:04 Alan Pope wrote:
>On 1 October 2010 16:48, r <technical500@talktalk.net> wrote:
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0df6:003f Sitecom Europe B.V.
>>

>Ok, so you're not alone in this. If you google for the 0df6:003f
>sequence of digits and the word Ubuntu you'll find others who have the
>same issue. The following blog post I stumbled upon seems to detail
>some quite technical details for fixing it. Shouldn't need to move the
>machine for this.

>http://johnsunixtips.blogspot.com/2010/08/sitecom-wireless-wl-608-54g-usb-dongle.html

reading the above I did the following:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and at the end put:

blacklist rt2800usb
blacklist rt2x00usb
blacklist rt2x00lib

from the shell I did:

lsmod | grep rt

sudo modprobe rt2870sta

on rebooting, 2 wireless networks are shown, 1 is this one.

I gave the password, but Firefox wont load Google.

according to Administration--Network Tools,

there is continual data transmitted and received,

Link speed: 54Mbps, State: Active, MTU: 1500,

however Ping doesnt work with say www.google.com or www.bbc.co.uk

"The address 'www.google.com' cannot be found
Please enter a valid network address and try again. Close"