-   -   TalkTalk + Huawei HG521 + Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386 + misery (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/433891-talktalk-huawei-hg521-ubuntu-10-04-01-i386-misery.html)

Chris G 09-30-2010 05:22 PM

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 06:40:39PM +0100, technical500 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently signed up to TalkTalk and have a wireless modem
> Huawei HG521 with a wireless network name SSID, and wireless password
>
> I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386
>
> I also have a sitecom wireless USB adapter for the PC tower.
>

> and have no idea how to get connected to the internet with this,
>

> the above hardware functions from Windows XP using the TalkTalk CD,
>
> but for the above Ubuntu I will need to configure using Ubuntu,

I'm confused, are you connecting with the TalkTalk Huawei HG521 (which I
presume is a mobile phone dongle) or are you connecting using the
Sitecom wireless USB adapter.

The TalkTalk dongle and the Wireless USB adapter are two entirely
separate ways of connecting to the internet (unless I'm very confused!).

--
Chris Green

r 09-30-2010 09:43 PM

On 30-Sep-10 18:22:10 Chris G wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 06:40:39PM +0100, technical500 wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently signed up to TalkTalk and have a wireless modem
>> Huawei HG521 with a wireless network name SSID, and wireless password
>>
>> I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386
>>
>> I also have a sitecom wireless USB adapter for the PC tower.
>>

>> and have no idea how to get connected to the internet with this,
>>

>> the above hardware functions from Windows XP using the TalkTalk CD,
>>
>> but for the above Ubuntu I will need to configure using Ubuntu,
>>
>I'm confused, are you connecting with the TalkTalk Huawei HG521 (which I
>presume is a mobile phone dongle)

its not a mobile phone dongle,

it connects to the BT phone socket,

its basically a broadband modem, and you can either connect to it with a cable

OR it transmits by wireless to say my laptop or my tower PC.

there is a photo of it here:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=2490&directoryId=2663&t reeId=663

the problem is my tower PC is in one room and the only BT phone socket is

near the front door, its not feasible to use the cable as I have to

setup the PC in the doorway of the kitchen.

>or are you connecting using the
>Sitecom wireless USB adapter.

both, and it works from Windows XP via the TalkTalk CD.

the modem both can use a cable which is the yellow socket in the photo,

OR it can communicate wirelessly, and the sitecom receives the signal.

the sitecom doesnt give a model number, but says:

"wireless USB adapter 54g"

802.11 b/g (2.4GHz)compatible

USB2.0 up to 54Mbps transfer rate

WEP/WPA/WPA2 compatible

>The TalkTalk dongle and the Wireless USB adapter are two entirely

this is not TalkTalk mobile phones, but a TalkTalk landline phone!

with broadband using the BT line.

>separate ways of connecting to the internet (unless I'm very confused!).

I think the confusion is because you are thinking of TalkTalk mobile

which is a completely different matter, and I am subscribed to Tesco mobile

which is done by O2 I think.