Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Default Ubuntu and flash cookies

Here's a news article about flash cookies:
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bitter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents

Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
Linux browsers/software in general?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Adam Funk

On 2010-09-30, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> Here's a news article about flash cookies:
> http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bitter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents
>
> Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
> Linux browsers/software in general?

They do. I installed the BetterPrivacy add-on in Firefox and
discovered I had flash cookies going back well over a year. I now
have it set to delete them after 90 minutes and when I close Firefox.

http://netticat.ath.cx/BetterPrivacy/BetterPrivacy.htm

Old 09-30-2010, 03:58 PM
NoOp

On 09/30/2010 08:24 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> Here's a news article about flash cookies:
> http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bitter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents
>
> Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
> Linux browsers/software in general?

Yes.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:58:07 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 09/30/2010 08:24 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> >
> > Here's a news article about flash cookies:
> > http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bitter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents
> >
> > Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
> > Linux browsers/software in general?
>
> Yes.

Heh. Thanks loads!

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Tab Gilbert

> > Here's a news article about flash cookies:

> > http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bitter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents

> > Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or

> > Linux browsers/software in general?

Ghostery is also a helpful extension if you want to cut down on third party data collection.

tab

Old 09-30-2010, 07:05 PM
NoOp

On 09/30/2010 09:22 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:58:07 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 09/30/2010 08:24 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> >
>> > Here's a news article about flash cookies:
>> > http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bitter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents
>> >
>> > Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
>> > Linux browsers/software in general?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
> Heh. Thanks loads!
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

:-) Glad to be of help :-)

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Nils Kassube

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Here's a news article about flash cookies:
> http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bit
> ter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents
>
> Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
> Linux browsers/software in general?

Sure Ubuntu is affected if you have flash installed. But flash cookies
aren't really new. Here is something even more sinister:
<http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/The-zombie-cookie-1095232.html>

Nils

Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:19:28 +0200
Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > Here's a news article about flash cookies:
> > http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bit
> > ter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents
> >
> > Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
> > Linux browsers/software in general?
>
> Sure Ubuntu is affected if you have flash installed. But flash cookies
> aren't really new. Here is something even more sinister:
> <http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/The-zombie-cookie-1095232.html>
>

> Nils

Oh, just wonderful. I suppose it will be
browse-in-a-virtual-environment for me from now on.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Here's a news article about flash cookies:
> http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bitter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents
>
> Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
> Linux browsers/software in general?

They affect any browser that uses flash in any OS or distribution.

On Linux, you can delete them from
/home/<user>/.macromedia/Flash_Player/

Old 10-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 06:08:19PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here's a news article about flash cookies:
> > http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110838/cookies-cause-bitter-backlash?mod=family-kids_parents
> >
> > Does anyone have knowledge of them and whether they affect ubuntu or
> > Linux browsers/software in general?
>
> They affect any browser that uses flash in any OS or distribution.
>
> On Linux, you can delete them from
> /home/<user>/.macromedia/Flash_Player/

On my box ~/.macromedia is empty. A better solution is the "Better
Privacy" extension (assuming you use Firefox).

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279