Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Chris G

Default Totem Movie Player doesn't play movies, just sticks at first frame

When I try and play AVI files with totem it just sits showing the first
frame as though it's paused there but it's not paused. Clicking
pause/play does nothing.

I can drag the Time slider across and the movie plays, it just doesn't
seem able to play by itself, any ideas?

--
Chris Green

Old 09-30-2010, 04:01 PM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

Have you tried installing the codecs from medibuntu.org?

When I try and play AVI files with totem it just sits showing the first

frame as though it's paused there but it's not paused. *Clicking

pause/play does nothing.

I can drag the Time slider across and the movie plays, it just doesn't

seem able to play by itself, any ideas?

--

Chris Green

[C] hicken [G] od
-=>Hi Tek, Lo Life<=-
http://planet-zero.blogspot.com

Old 09-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Chris G

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 12:01:36AM +0800, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Chris G <[2]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> When I try and play AVI files with totem it just sits showing the first
> frame as though it's paused there but it's not paused. Clicking
> pause/play does nothing.
>
> I can drag the Time slider across and the movie plays, it just doesn't
> seem able to play by itself, any ideas?
>
> Have you tried installing the codecs from [1]medibuntu.org?

If I knew what "the codecs" meant I might try it! :-)

Searching for codecs in synaptic leaves me none the wiser, there's no
particular set of files that looks like 'codecs' to me.

In addition, since the movie plays OK when I drag the slider across
surely the necessary codec is available otherwise it wouldn't be
possible to decode the video.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 PM
NoOp

On 09/30/2010 06:11 AM, Chris G wrote:
> When I try and play AVI files with totem it just sits showing the first
> frame as though it's paused there but it's not paused. Clicking
> pause/play does nothing.
>
> I can drag the Time slider across and the movie plays, it just doesn't
> seem able to play by itself, any ideas?

I suspect that it is an issue with the AVI itself. I've encountered the
same with some. Do other AVI's do the same?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

I meant all the possible ones. I left no stone unturned so I ran every possible codec that I could get my hands on.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Chris G

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:02:06AM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 06:11 AM, Chris G wrote:
> > When I try and play AVI files with totem it just sits showing the first
> > frame as though it's paused there but it's not paused. Clicking
> > pause/play does nothing.
> >
> > I can drag the Time slider across and the movie plays, it just doesn't
> > seem able to play by itself, any ideas?
> >

> I suspect that it is an issue with the AVI itself. I've encountered the
> same with some. Do other AVI's do the same?

It seems the same with half a dozen or so AVI files but they're mostly
from the same camera, though there is at least one from a different
camera.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Chris G

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 01:09:03AM +0800, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 12:01:36AM +0800, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Chris G <[2][2]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > When I try and play AVI files with totem it just sits showing the
> first
> > frame as though it's paused there but it's not paused. Clicking
> > pause/play does nothing.
> >
> > I can drag the Time slider across and the movie plays, it just
> doesn't
> > seem able to play by itself, any ideas?
> >
> > Have you tried installing the codecs from [1][3]medibuntu.org?
> >
> If I knew what "the codecs" meant I might try it! :-)
>
> Searching for codecs in synaptic leaves me none the wiser, there's no
> particular set of files that looks like 'codecs' to me.
>
> I meant all the possible ones. I left no stone unturned so I ran every
> possible codec that I could get my hands on.

OK, so how do I find them? As I said searching for 'codec' in Synaptic
produces a huge list 99% of which aren't codecs (I assume).

> In addition, since the movie plays OK when I drag the slider across
> surely the necessary codec is available otherwise it wouldn't be
> possible to decode the video.

Any comment about this bit?

--
Chris Green

Old 09-30-2010, 05:27 PM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 01:09:03AM +0800, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:

> * *On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> * * *On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 12:01:36AM +0800, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:

> * * *> * *On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Chris G <[2][2]cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> * * *>

> * * *> * * *When I try and play AVI files with totem it just sits showing the

> * * *first

> * * *> * * *frame as though it's paused there but it's not paused. *Clicking

> * * *> * * *pause/play does nothing.

> * * *>

> * * *> * * *I can drag the Time slider across and the movie plays, it just

> * * *doesn't

> * * *> * * *seem able to play by itself, any ideas?

> * * *>

> * * *> * *Have you tried installing the codecs from [1][3]medibuntu.org?

> * * *>

> * * *If I knew what "the codecs" meant I might try it! *:-)

> * * *Searching for codecs in synaptic leaves me none the wiser, there's no

> * * *particular set of files that looks like 'codecs' to me.

> * *I meant all the possible ones. I left no stone unturned so I ran every

> * *possible codec that I could get my hands on.

OK, so how do I find them? *As I said searching for 'codec' in Synaptic

produces a huge list 99% of which aren't codecs (I assume).

Try looking for these

libavcodec-extra-52libavcodec-unstripped-52
libavdevice-extra-52libavdevice-unstripped-52
libavfilter-extra-0libavfilter-unstripped-0libavformat-extra-52
libavformat-unstripped-52libavutil-extra-49libavutil-unstripped-49
libdvdcss2libdvdcss-devlibpostproc-extra-51
libpostproc-unstripped-51libswscale-extra-0libswscale-unstripped-0
w32codecsw64codecsnon-free-codecs
aacgainI am not sure if I covered all of them but in Synaptic you can check by repository to see what is available with a description.
*

> * * *In addition, since the movie plays OK when I drag the slider across

> * * *surely the necessary codec is available otherwise it wouldn't be

> * * *possible to decode the video.

Any comment about this bit?

I can't comment on this since I am no expert but OOC what video card do you have?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:33 AM, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

CG> In addition, since the movie plays OK when I drag the slider across

CG> surely the necessary codec is available otherwise it wouldn't be

CG> possible to decode the video.

You might try installing VLC media player and see if it has the same

problem. IIRC, VLC comes with its own codecs built in.

This is another solution. There are times where I wish Klite codec package was also on Linux

Old 09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
rikona

Hello Chris,