Old 09-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Thufir Hawat

Default usb keyboard

I'm looking at:

Rosewill RK-200
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201009

as well as, of course:

Ubuntu Documentation > Community Documentation > InstallUSBKeyboard
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallUSBKeyboard

are some keyboards "nice" or "nicer" than others with Linux? Or, is it
more a matter of the BIOS?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Oliver Devoogdt

2010/9/30 Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com>

I'm looking at:

Rosewill RK-200

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201009

as well as, of course:

Ubuntu Documentation > Community Documentation > InstallUSBKeyboard

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallUSBKeyboard

are some keyboards "nice" or "nicer" than others with Linux? *Or, is it

more a matter of the BIOS?

thanks,

Thufir

meh, it has the MS logo on it, so not ok for ubuntu

O.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Liam Proven

On 30 September 2010 09:21, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at:
>
> Rosewill RK-200
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201009
>
> as well as, of course:
>
> Ubuntu Documentation > Community Documentation > InstallUSBKeyboard
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallUSBKeyboard
>
> are some keyboards "nice" or "nicer" than others with Linux? *Or, is it
> more a matter of the BIOS?

Meh. A keyboard is a keyboard. All modern ones are horrid, soft & spongy.

If you want a *real* keyboard, buy an IBM Model M or a modern version thereof.

I have 6 of them & I treasure them. They are the best PC keyboards
ever made, in my not-at-all-humble opinion. Noisy but the feel is
unparalleled and they never give me any issues with RSI or anything.

Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

Buy:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

For those who hate the noise of the IBM clicky, the next-best thing is
allegedly the Apple Extended II ADB board. (I have 2 or 3 of those,
too. As it happens, including one German layout, if anyone wants
it...) The layout is the Mac layout, though.

They are not made any more, but allegedly the best modern equivalent
is the Matias Tactile Pro.

Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard

Buy:
http://www.matias.ca/tactilepro/

When you consider how much you use a keyboard and how it is the
primary way of getting information into a computer, I think it is
worth having a good one rather than a cheap one, even if it costs
rather more.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 12:09 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 30 September 2010 09:21, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking at:
> >
> > Rosewill RK-200
> > http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201009
> >
> > as well as, of course:
> >
> > Ubuntu Documentation > Community Documentation > InstallUSBKeyboard
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallUSBKeyboard
> >
> > are some keyboards "nice" or "nicer" than others with Linux? Or, is it
> > more a matter of the BIOS?
>
> Meh. A keyboard is a keyboard. All modern ones are horrid, soft & spongy.
>
> If you want a *real* keyboard, buy an IBM Model M or a modern version thereof.
>
> I have 6 of them & I treasure them. They are the best PC keyboards
> ever made, in my not-at-all-humble opinion. Noisy but the feel is
> unparalleled and they never give me any issues with RSI or anything.

The all-time very best computer keyboard I've ever used was on a
Televideo 803
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos.asp?t=1&c=1077&st=1

Just look at that close up! Solid solid. I had both the 803 (several)
and the 1603 (16bit) plus the server that would handle either. Ric
Linux user# 44256

Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Jonathan Hirschman

On 9/30/2010 2:28 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 12:09 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 30 September 2010 09:21, Thufir Hawat<hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you want a *real* keyboard, buy an IBM Model M or a modern version thereof.
>>
>> I have 6 of them& I treasure them. They are the best PC keyboards
>> ever made, in my not-at-all-humble opinion. Noisy but the feel is
>> unparalleled and they never give me any issues with RSI or anything.
>
> The all-time very best computer keyboard I've ever used was on a
> Televideo 803
> http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos.asp?t=1&c=1077&st=1

Sorry folks, but the undisputed best keyboard every made was the
Northgate OmniKey line. Here's the one that I have;

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/ultra.jpg

It weighs _more_ than IBM M's; it is so heavy and solid that you could
certainly kill someone with it, and it'd still work perfectly.

It is (was) programmable, and keys are meant to be moved around (they
used to come with extra keycaps and a puller). It could support PC,
Amiga and Apple keyboard standards of the time.

I'll be sad when it croaks. You can find them from time to time...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 AM
Thufir Hawat

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:26:21 +0200, Oliver Devoogdt wrote:

> 2010/9/30 Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com>
>
>> I'm looking at:
>>
>> Rosewill RK-200
>> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201009
>>
>> as well as, of course:
>>
>> Ubuntu Documentation > Community Documentation > InstallUSBKeyboard
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallUSBKeyboard
>>
>> are some keyboards "nice" or "nicer" than others with Linux? Or, is it
>> more a matter of the BIOS?
>>

>> thanks,
>>
>> Thufir
>>

>> --
>>

> meh, it has the MS logo on it, so not ok for ubuntu

See, that's what *I* thought at first. However, in the comments section
for an official "made by" Microsoft keyboard, one of the comments goes
something like "freezes and stops working on Windows, works fine under
Linux."

-Thufir

Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

I've had quite some experience with keyboards. And I hate the modern keyboards. There's just not as much feedback, keys feel stuck, the button don't click at all and half the time you need to bang them in order to get something on the screen. I've a Very Old TVS PS2 keyboard for my PC (a celeron 2.53GHz on an Intel 845Mainboard and 256MB RAM) at home and it's awesome. The feedback is right, keys move like knife in butter. The sweet sound of the keys hitting the base is like music on my ears. And I've been using it for last 6yrs. And I picked it up in a secondhand shop. So that's easily more than 10yrs. I wish I could get one of them in USB.

Oh looks like I can. http://www.tvs-e.com/keyboard-landing.asp# Well going to give it a try.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/10/2010 19:06, Vaibhav Dalvi wrote:
> I've had quite some experience with keyboards. And I hate the modern
> keyboards. There's just not as much feedback, keys feel stuck, the
> button don't click at all and half the time you need to bang them in
> order to get something on the screen. I've a Very Old TVS PS2 keyboard
> for my PC (a celeron 2.53GHz on an Intel 845Mainboard and 256MB RAM)
> at home and it's awesome. The feedback is right, keys move like knife
> in butter. The sweet sound of the keys hitting the base is like music
> on my ears. And I've been using it for last 6yrs. And I picked it up
> in a secondhand shop. So that's easily more than 10yrs. I wish I could
> get one of them in USB.
>
> Oh looks like I can. http://www.tvs-e.com/keyboard-landing.asp# Well
> going to give it a try.

Interesting.

I've use Logitech keyboards (+ mouse combos) for years without any problems.

Perhaps you shouldn't "bang them" when trying to type something?

BC

--

"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

I've use Logitech keyboards (+ mouse combos) for years without any problems.

Perhaps you shouldn't "bang them" when trying to type something?

BC

--

"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"

* * * * * Christina Aquilera

I'm using Logitech keyboards since my high-school days(I'm 3yrs out graduation now!). It's just they never felt smooth to me. Same for even Microsoft or many other. Recently I used TCL keyboard at a project I worked on. And man, that keyboard was very good. It was membrane only but it didn't feel stuffy. Now right after I started work on this other project whether I got a brand new M$ keyboard - a wireless combo, but it was so ugly in terms of tactile feedback, feel and the keys felt like they're always stuck. I'd to ask for a change. That's the way it is. Sometimes a no-brand clicks the nerve but at times big branded accessories suck.

Anyway I wish there was an Ubuntu Keyboard - right with Ubuntu logo on the Super key. and a nice tux in a corner. Or is anything like this exists somewhere?
-vb

http://pointelement.blogspot.com/

Old 10-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 19:14 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 01/10/2010 19:06, Vaibhav Dalvi wrote:
> > I've had quite some experience with keyboards. And I hate the modern
> > keyboards. There's just not as much feedback, keys feel stuck, the
> > button don't click at all and half the time you need to bang them in
> > order to get something on the screen. I've a Very Old TVS PS2 keyboard
> > for my PC (a celeron 2.53GHz on an Intel 845Mainboard and 256MB RAM)
> > at home and it's awesome. The feedback is right, keys move like knife
> > in butter. The sweet sound of the keys hitting the base is like music
> > on my ears. And I've been using it for last 6yrs. And I picked it up
> > in a secondhand shop. So that's easily more than 10yrs. I wish I could
> > get one of them in USB.
> >
> > Oh looks like I can. http://www.tvs-e.com/keyboard-landing.asp# Well
> > going to give it a try.
>
> Interesting.
>
> I've use Logitech keyboards (+ mouse combos) for years without any problems.
>
> Perhaps you shouldn't "bang them" when trying to type something?

You obviously haven't seen "Hackers". It's the machine-gun tattoo of
fingers clicking away madly on the keyboard that denotes a true hacker.
Mine clicks very nicely, while I'm plotting to take over the world.
<evil cackles> Ric

Linux user# 44256