Old 09-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Tanmoy Chatterjee

Default frequent connection drops (every 8-10 minutes, blueman, Nokia 6233, BSNL 3G)

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Amarendra Kumar <er.amar@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use Nokia 6233 via bluetooth to connect my Laptop (Ubuntu) to 3G
> Internet. The Internet connection goes down in some every 7-8 minutes.
> Then, I have to do this:
>
> 1. Blueman Applet on Panel
> 2. In the "Bluetooth Devices" window right-click on my Phone Name and click
> "Refresh Services"
> 3. Then right click again and click "Dial-up networking"
> 4. Then click "Setup" and select "Dial-up Networking (DUN)" radio-button and
> click "Forward"
> 5. Then click on "Network Manager Applet" and click my 3G connection
> 6. Within a few seconds the Internet connection resumes.
>
> Note: While the Internet connection goes the my 3G connection is still
> there in Network Manager applet list under "available" (But clicking on
> it doesn't connect Internet and Network Manager already shows connection
> as broken with no antenna "bars") and disappears only after "step 3".
>
> I have no idea what breaks/drops the connection. Anything to do with
> message bus security policy? I have disabled iptables.
>
> --
> AMAR
Pardon me, I can't answer your queries - just want to tell that I have
found connecting my BSNL broadband to ubuntu difficult - as there was
no one to help - finally it has been connected via "DSL Connection"
column in "Network Connection"- just by entering my user i.d.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 PM
"d~_*b"

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010, Amarendra Kumar <er.amar@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use Nokia 6233 via bluetooth to connect my Laptop (Ubuntu) to 3G
> Internet. The Internet connection goes down in some every 7-8 minutes.
> Then, I have to do this:
>
> 1. Blueman Applet on Panel
> 2. In the "Bluetooth Devices" window right-click on my Phone Name and click "Refresh Services"
> 3. Then right click again and click "Dial-up networking"
> 4. Then click "Setup" and select "Dial-up Networking (DUN)" radio-button and click "Forward"
> 5. Then click on "Network Manager Applet" and click my 3G connection
> 6. Within a few seconds the Internet connection resumes.
>
> Note: While the Internet connection goes the my 3G connection is still
> there in Network Manager applet list under "available" (But clicking on
> it doesn't connect Internet and Network Manager already shows connection
> as broken with no antenna "bars") and disappears only after "step 3".
>
> I have no idea what breaks/drops the connection. Anything to do with
> message bus security policy? I have disabled iptables.
> --
> AMAR

Strange, I thought I was the only one facing an issue with the BSNL 3G
service. I am facing similar issues on a iPad.
The connection drops randomly and switches over to Edge. However the
connection returns after a couple of mins.
AFAI have observed, the issue is intermittent, and appears on my
mobile phone as well, so I believe the problem is not with the system
(laptop/iPad/mobile/the OS) but with the service.

& RU d~_*b