Old 09-29-2010, 11:39 AM
user1

Default How to set icecat as default browser when clicking links in thunderbird

I am using lucid.

I want to use icecat as the default browser when clicking on links in
thunderbird.

I have installed icecat to use instead of firefox, but each time I click
on a link in thunderbird it opens in firefox (I have tried:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser#Linux)

Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Janne Jokitalo

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:39:30AM +0000, user1 wrote:
> I am using lucid.
>
> I want to use icecat as the default browser when clicking on links in
> thunderbird.
>
> I have installed icecat to use instead of firefox, but each time I click
> on a link in thunderbird it opens in firefox (I have tried:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser#Linux)

Can you be more specific? Which part of the instructions have you tried? Even
the part - "Setting the browser that opens in Thunderbird - Linux", and it still
doesn't work?

There is one more option:

$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Don't know whether that makes any difference, though.

--
Jaska

Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM
user1

I think I have tried them all, even in gnome.

> $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
There are 3 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/
x-www-browser).

Selection Path Priority Status
* 0 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 auto mode
1 /usr/bin/chromium-browser 40 manual mode
2 /usr/bin/firefox 40 manual mode
3 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

I see no icecat?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 02:06:25PM +0000, user1 wrote:
> I think I have tried them all, even in gnome.

Okay.

> Selection Path Priority Status
> * 0 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 auto mode
> 1 /usr/bin/chromium-browser 40 manual mode
> 2 /usr/bin/firefox 40 manual mode
> 3 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 manual mode
>
> Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
>
> I see no icecat?

It doesn't provide the entry in /etc/alternatives, then. You can add it
yourself, and there's a good tutorial here [0]. But like I (think I) said, it's
not a guarantee it will still work.

[0] http://linuxbasics.org/tutorials/using/debian_update-alternatives

--
Jaska

Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
NoOp

On 09/29/2010 07:55 AM, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 02:06:25PM +0000, user1 wrote:
>> I think I have tried them all, even in gnome.
>
> Okay.
>
>> Selection Path Priority Status
>> * 0 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 auto mode
>> 1 /usr/bin/chromium-browser 40 manual mode
>> 2 /usr/bin/firefox 40 manual mode
>> 3 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 manual mode
>>
>> Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
>>
>> I see no icecat?
>
> It doesn't provide the entry in /etc/alternatives, then. You can add it
> yourself, and there's a good tutorial here [0]. But like I (think I) said, it's
> not a guarantee it will still work.
>
> [0] http://linuxbasics.org/tutorials/using/debian_update-alternatives

There's a gui for that:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/galternatives
$ sudo apt-get install galternatives
then: Applications|System Tools|Alternatives Configurator

Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
user1

> There's a gui for that:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/galternatives $ sudo apt-get install
> galternatives
> then: Applications|System Tools|Alternatives Configurator

I tried that, added /usr/bin/icecat to the x-www-browser line and gave it
priority 110 (firefox has priority 40) but firefox still opens as default
browser when clicking links in thunderbird.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:17:18PM +0000, user1 wrote:

> > There's a gui for that:
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/galternatives $ sudo apt-get install
> > galternatives
> > then: Applications|System Tools|Alternatives Configurator
>
> I tried that, added /usr/bin/icecat to the x-www-browser line and gave it
> priority 110 (firefox has priority 40) but firefox still opens as default
> browser when clicking links in thunderbird.

Just to make sure, you did check the round thing to make it your Choice?

--
Jaska

Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM
NoOp

On 09/29/2010 10:17 AM, user1 wrote:

>> There's a gui for that:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/galternatives $ sudo apt-get install
>> galternatives
>> then: Applications|System Tools|Alternatives Configurator
>
> I tried that, added /usr/bin/icecat to the x-www-browser line and gave it
> priority 110 (firefox has priority 40) but firefox still opens as default
> browser when clicking links in thunderbird.

System|Preferences|Preferred Applications|icecat (or Custom if icecat is
not present).

Basically TB will use the system default browser. the x-www-browser is
for x applications. Perhaps the correct one is:
$ sudo update-alternative --config gnome-www-browser
?? I'm not sure ??
Try adding icecat in that.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
chris

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 14:06 +0000, user1 wrote:
> I think I have tried them all, even in gnome.
>
> > $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
> There are 3 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/
> x-www-browser).
>
> Selection Path Priority Status
> * 0 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 auto mode
> 1 /usr/bin/chromium-browser 40 manual mode
> 2 /usr/bin/firefox 40 manual mode
> 3 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 manual mode
>
> Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
>
> I see no icecat?

system >preferences>preferred Applications
web browser = custom
Command = icecat %s

--
Cheers the kiwi

Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM
user1

> system >preferences>preferred Applications web browser = custom
> Command = icecat %s

That worked :-)

Strange I have to use gnome for this setup, as I am using kde - that's
why I always use ubuntu install cd and thereafter I install kde, so I
have both setup alternatives, according to what "google" tells me to do ?