Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default how to restore a guest OS from an rsync backup

I took a backup of all the directories in an lvm.
This lvm which I am referring to above was having a Guest Operating System
the entire backup from the top most directory / is in a folder in a
USB hard disk.
Swap space I have not taken any backup.
So is there a way I can restore the Guest OS from this backup on USB
bard disk which is on LAN at a remote location.
If yes then give me a link to it.

--
Tapas

Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Karl Larsen

On 09/29/2010 04:19 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I took a backup of all the directories in an lvm.
> This lvm which I am referring to above was having a Guest Operating System
> the entire backup from the top most directory / is in a folder in a
> USB hard disk.
> Swap space I have not taken any backup.
> So is there a way I can restore the Guest OS from this backup on USB
> bard disk which is on LAN at a remote location.
> If yes then give me a link to it.

On my backup which is a manual rsync backup, I also manually
restore using cp -a which does about what rsync does back to another, or
the same partition. This works fine for several years.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Tapas Mishra

I have used Vmware so in that I used to copy vmdk file to some other
machine where vmware player is installed and that file is just what
was needed by vmware player.
Given the fact I want to do some thing similar on a remote machine
where in one directory I have copied all the files which I was saying
how on the other machine get the guest OS running.
Is is possible to give some path some where in virt-manager that it
boots from the copied directory structure.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM
NoOp

On 09/29/2010 03:19 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I took a backup of all the directories in an lvm.
> This lvm which I am referring to above was having a Guest Operating System
> the entire backup from the top most directory / is in a folder in a
> USB hard disk.
> Swap space I have not taken any backup.
> So is there a way I can restore the Guest OS from this backup on USB
> bard disk which is on LAN at a remote location.
> If yes then give me a link to it.

Perhaps:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=vmware+%2Bmove+vmdk+to+n ew+machine&btnG=Search>

<http://kb.vmware.com/kb/900>

Will be of help.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:36 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Perhaps:
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=vmware+%2Bmove+vmdk+to+n ew+machine&btnG=Search>
>
> <http://kb.vmware.com/kb/900>
>
> Will be of help.
Uff my question is not about VMWare.My question is about LVM.
I am not using Vmware.I just gave it as an example.