Old 01-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Default Eclipse with Sun Java

Is there a package that installs Eclipse under Gutsy with Sun Java, not
Gnu Java? I've tried Eclipse with Gnu Java and it just does not work.

...Ken

Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Charles Dombek

Ken
You can launch Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for "java". you
should find sun_java on the list of packages to select as well as the
current java to "remove".
Chuck Dombek

Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Kenneth Loafman

OK, that got me to synaptic which has the 'aptitude show' function built
in much like a preview window. What I did after that is check the box
for eclipse, found out what it wanted to install (all were -gcj), then
cleared that and added the packages manually (non -gcj) that the
original eclipse install would have done.

All is good. No -gcj on the system at all.

...Ken

Old 01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Peter Garrett

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:55:08 -0600
Kenneth Loafman <kenneth@loafman.com> wrote:

> OK, that got me to synaptic which has the 'aptitude show' function built
> in much like a preview window. What I did after that is check the box
> for eclipse, found out what it wanted to install (all were -gcj), then
> cleared that and added the packages manually (non -gcj) that the
> original eclipse install would have done.
>
> All is good. No -gcj on the system at all.

I think you could have saved yourself some time and trouble by simply
installing the sun java packages, then running

sudo update-alternatives --config java

and choosing the sun option.

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:55:08 -0600
> Kenneth Loafman <kenneth@loafman.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, that got me to synaptic which has the 'aptitude show' function built
>> in much like a preview window. What I did after that is check the box
>> for eclipse, found out what it wanted to install (all were -gcj), then
>> cleared that and added the packages manually (non -gcj) that the
>> original eclipse install would have done.
>>
>> All is good. No -gcj on the system at all.
>
> I think you could have saved yourself some time and trouble by simply
> installing the sun java packages, then running
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config java

Possibly, if I had known about update-alternatives. Not exactly one of
the advertised procedures. Other than the email time, it only took
about 5 minutes to get Eclipse installed.

Thanks for the pointer.

...Ken