Old 09-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Nick Edwards

Default evolution forgets state

This is known upstream bug, corrected with the release this week of 2.31.
Is there any intention for* LTS users to get* an update to this version.
I know its version-number-frozen, normally, but this bug bites many and should be an exception to the rule and this version pushed, for a supposed stable LTS release it is unacceptable to put up with this mess every day for the next few years.

(the state im talking about is last position in each folder, it randomly just loses it and puts you at the top, when using received bottom, so the bottom is the last read message* position, so we have to* hit 'end' and then arrow up to the first unread)

Nick

Old 09-29-2010, 03:32 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 13:16 +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
> This is known upstream bug, corrected with the release this week of
> 2.31.
> Is there any intention for LTS users to get an update to this
> version.
> I know its version-number-frozen, normally, but this bug bites many
> and should be an exception to the rule and this version pushed, for a
> supposed stable LTS release it is unacceptable to put up with this
> mess every day for the next few years.
>
> (the state im talking about is last position in each folder, it
> randomly just loses it and puts you at the top, when using received
> bottom, so the bottom is the last read message position, so we have
> to hit 'end' and then arrow up to the first unread)

I thought I was the only one being annoyed by this! Thanks, I am not
crazy. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Nick Edwards

no, it's not just you
anyone know how to find out who the evo maintainer is so we can hassle him/her directly, since they likely dont pay much attention to this list?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
C de-Avillez

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:30:07 +1000
Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> no, it's not just you
> anyone know how to find out who the evo maintainer is

Open a bug on LP, or find the bug about it, nominate for Lucid, and
*explain* why it is important. We will then certainly look at it.

> so we can
> hassle him/her directly,

Really, not a very good idea. But, of course, you are free to do
whatever you want. And I am free to disregard hassling.

> since they likely dont pay much attention
> to this list?

I, for example, have been trying to. Unfortunately -- for me --, the
signal to noise ratio is too big. Now I only skim it.

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 13:16 +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
> > > This is known upstream bug, corrected with the release this week
> > > of 2.31.

2.31 is an interim, *development*, release. This will be the 2.32
stable release when it is released. Please keep in mind that there is
no guarantee this specific bug fix can be ported back to 2.30:
Evolution is going thru major architectural changes now (and this is
why we kept Lucid with 2.28, and only now we are releasing 2.30).

But, anyway, without the Gnome bug number and an SRU request, nothing
will be done.

> > > Is there any intention for LTS users to get an update to this
> > > version.
> > > I know its version-number-frozen, normally, but this bug bites
> > > many and should be an exception to the rule and this version
> > > pushed, for a supposed stable LTS release it is unacceptable to
> > > put up with this mess every day for the next few years.

An option would be a backport. Stable versions are not upgraded.

Cheers,

--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM
NoOp

On 09/28/2010 10:30 PM, Nick Edwards wrote:
> no, it's not just you
> anyone know how to find out who the evo maintainer is so we can hassle
> him/her directly, since they likely dont pay much attention to this list?

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bugs
upstream:
https://launchpad.net/evolution
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=evolution

Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Li Li

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 08:30 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 10:30 PM, Nick Edwards wrote:
> > no, it's not just you
> > anyone know how to find out who the evo maintainer is so we can hassle
> > him/her directly, since they likely dont pay much attention to this list?
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bugs
> upstream:
> https://launchpad.net/evolution
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=evolution

Also, there exists a fairly active list for evo where the devs do
actually hang out and answer friendly questions:

Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions
Linux 2.6.32-21-generic Linux Mint 9 Isadora, Gnome 2.30.2

Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM
C de-Avillez

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:27:25 -0700
Li Li <lili_lilly@charter.net> wrote:

> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bugs

^^ this is where Ubuntu Evolution bugs are recorded on LP.

> > upstream:
> > https://launchpad.net/evolution

^^ this is just the upstream project on LP. Bugs are not opened here.

> > https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=evolution

^^ upstream bugs go here.

> Also, there exists a fairly active list for evo where the devs do
> actually hang out and answer friendly questions:

Indeed. A good resource for finding out if someone has had a similar
issue before.

Other good resources:

http://live.gnome.org/Evolution: current upstream work, and technical
details
http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ -- Evolution FAQ

Cheers,

Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 AM
rikona

Hello C,

Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 6:02:33 AM, C wrote:

>> since they likely dont pay much attention to this list?

CdA> I, for example, have been trying to. Unfortunately -- for me --,
CdA> the signal to noise ratio is too big. Now I only skim it.

First, thanks for checking in...

I'm a recent Mandriva convert. When Mandrake was quite popular, they
set up multiple lists - newbie, expert and [not done by them]
OffTopic. This helped quite a lot in sorting out the large load. I
would again suggest doing something like that. It helped - especially
the OT list.

--

rikona

Old 09-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Nick Edwards

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:22 AM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:27:25 -0700

Li Li <lili_lilly@charter.net> wrote:

> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution

> > *https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bugs

^^ this is where Ubuntu Evolution bugs are recorded on LP.

> > upstream:

> > https://launchpad.net/evolution

^^ this is just the upstream project on LP. Bugs are not opened here.

> > *https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=evolution

^^ upstream bugs go here.

this bug was done to dinner there, they thought they fixed it in 2.30 but found they didnt , this is not a* oh wow its new bug, its well known by evo devs

> Also, there exists a fairly active list for evo where the devs do

> actually hang out and answer friendly questions:

Indeed. A good resource for finding out if someone has had a similar

issue before.

Other good resources:

http://live.gnome.org/Evolution: current upstream work, and technical

details

http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ -- Evolution FAQ

the resolution was thought to be able to backport to 2.30, but not beyond that, and since you say the version is staying my solution will be to remove ubuntu evolution* and install from source as some others have done and found all is good, so i'll wander down that path i think, sad, for a LTS release that will have a broken evo for the next 3 years

thanks anyway

Cheers,

Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
NoOp

On 09/29/2010 09:50 PM, rikona wrote:
> Hello C,
>
> Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 6:02:33 AM, C wrote:
>
>>> since they likely dont pay much attention to this list?
>
> CdA> I, for example, have been trying to. Unfortunately -- for me --,
> CdA> the signal to noise ratio is too big. Now I only skim it.
>
> First, thanks for checking in...
>
> I'm a recent Mandriva convert. When Mandrake was quite popular, they
> set up multiple lists - newbie, expert and [not done by them]
> OffTopic. This helped quite a lot in sorting out the large load. I
> would again suggest doing something like that. It helped - especially
> the OT list.

That is what the sounder list is for...
<quote>
The Sounder mailing list should be used for discussion of subjects of
general interest related to the Ubuntu project, Linux, Open Source or
software in general.
</quote>