-   -   Removing Windows (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/433083-removing-windows.html)

Kai Presler-Marshall 09-29-2010 02:27 AM

Removing Windows

Hey guys,

I've run Ubuntu on my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 since April and haven't booted Windows 7 since June, so I think it's time to remove it and free up some drive space for Ubuntu.* How would I go about removing Win7?* I have my 160GB HDD partitioned into 3; 100GB for Ubuntu (ext3 IIRC), a 2GB swap partition, and everything else for Win7.* I'd like to loose the last partition and expand the 1st to take up the freed space.

Thanks!

Kai

Ric Moore 09-29-2010 03:09 AM

Removing Windows

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 22:27 -0400, Kai Presler-Marshall wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've run Ubuntu on my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 since April and haven't
> booted Windows 7 since June, so I think it's time to remove it and
> free up some drive space for Ubuntu. How would I go about removing
> Win7? I have my 160GB HDD partitioned into 3; 100GB for Ubuntu (ext3
> IIRC), a 2GB swap partition, and everything else for Win7. I'd like
> to loose the last partition and expand the 1st to take up the freed
> space.

100 gigs is all that Ubuntu could ever want. You might consider just
reformatting the last partition same as your Ubuntu partition (ext3) and
mount it as /opt

Then, it's just a matter of a few soft-links in your home directory to
redirect ~/Video to /opt/Video, ~/Desktop to /opt/Desktop, etc. Then you
get to keep everything personal there. Then when it's time for upgrade,
you don't have to worry about backups, as everything you could wish to
protect is completely out of the way. I have more gigs in personal stuff
than I do system stuff, so I wish my /opt directory had been set larger
than 1/2 of the drive. But, 60 gigs of safe storage is good! It's a
perspective to consider. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Kai Presler-Marshall 09-29-2010 11:01 AM

Removing Windows

That sounds like a good idea, thanks!
I'm confident that I can find the instructions for creating the soft links, I'll try that tonight!

Arnaud G 09-29-2010 01:06 PM

Removing Windows

you could use gparted to do it.

J 09-29-2010 03:54 PM

Removing Windows

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 22:27, Kai Presler-Marshall
<kaipresler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've run Ubuntu on my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 since April and haven't booted
> Windows 7 since June, so I think it's time to remove it and free up some
> drive space for Ubuntu.* How would I go about removing Win7?* I have my
> 160GB HDD partitioned into 3; 100GB for Ubuntu (ext3 IIRC), a 2GB swap
> partition, and everything else for Win7.* I'd like to loose the last
> partition and expand the 1st to take up the freed space.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kai

Good suggestions so far, here's another: re-install (unless you'd just
like to play with resizing partitions and filesystems, in which case,
have fun!)

Given a full 160GB disk for this, I'd set up a 20GB / partition most
likely more than enough for apps installed later on, a 1 - 2 GB swap
partition, and the rest as /home...

But that's just me. I usually maintain multi-boot systems though, so
were it ME, I'd maybe re-partition that extra space into 3 20GB
partitions and use them to try out other OSs (maybe other Linux
flavors, some BSDs, etc).

Also a question for you... do you live in Carrboro/Chapel Hill?? Your
name sounds familiar... didn't I pick up a toaster from you a few
years ago (you were pretty young) on freecycle or craigslist?

Cheers,

Jeff

Kai Presler-Marshall 09-29-2010 04:59 PM

Removing Windows

Totally am in Chappel Hill :)

I really don't want to reinstall now, this is my main system & I
mostly have it set up the way I like it......and with how busy school
is I don'mt have time to re-set it up ATM. So I would be best off
just keeping Windows or just using gparted to exand my Ubuntu to use
everything?

And your name sounds familiar.....

J 09-29-2010 05:49 PM

Removing Windows

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:59, Kai Presler-Marshall
<kaipresler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Totally am in Chappel Hill :)
>
> I really don't want to reinstall now, this is my main system & I
> mostly have it set up the way I like it......and with how busy school
> is I don'mt have time to re-set it up ATM. *So I would be best off
> just keeping Windows or just using gparted to exand my Ubuntu to use
> everything?
>
> And your name sounds familiar.....

Heh... I bet, then, that you are the same kid I got the SGI O2 from a
few years back. You have an unusual enough name to not be forgotten
:-)

I get the not having time and all (totally get that). Given your
constraints, your best bet to make use of what you've got is to follow
Ric's advice WRT to just using that Windows partition for data (you
can re-format it and then mount it, create symlinks into /home, etc).

I would not suggest removing the partition completely and resizing the
remaining partition(s) given your constraints (time, etc). When you
start resizing partitions, you run the very real risk of corruption
and loss of data. So A: only do so after completely backing up
everything you want to save, and B: only do so when you've got the
time to rebuild from scratch. The simplest, safest suggestion so far
was what Ric Moore said.

That or, my other suggestion, use the space currently occupied by
Windows to do OTHER OS installations on and try out other Linuxes,
BSDs, etc.

Cheers,

Jeff

Kai Presler-Marshall 09-29-2010 05:54 PM

Removing Windows

That's an idea :)

Maybe I'll try out Fedora on the Windows partition....I've heard good things about the latest version.* And I distinctly remember giving you that SGI....were you able to ever do anything with it?* I wasn't.* My UNIX knowledge has improved significantly since then, but I still prefer Linux.

If I run a risk of corrupting my Ubuntu install, I don't think I'll mess with that now...if I have that risk, it might just make more sense to do a complete reinstall/re-partition when I have time.

David Fletcher 09-29-2010 10:06 PM

Removing Windows

Seems to me there's a hardware solution that nobody's mentioned.

For a few quid apiece vendors on ebay supply internal hard drive caddies
that allow removal of the hard drive from inside the PC, then loading it
through a slot in the front panel. I've got a couple of units. A couple
more would be useful.

Normally I have my Kubuntu hard drive loaded but at the moment I have
need to be able to run XP on its own hard drive. Now I can do it with no
risk to my Linux installation.

BTW the fans built into the caddies I bought appear to be of lousy
quality but the drive connectors work without any trouble and the fans
can be replaced sometime with a few minutes work with a soldering iron.

Dave

Kai Presler-Marshall 09-29-2010 10:19 PM

Removing Windows

This is a laptop ;)

I already have my desktop set up with 2 HDDs, 1 for Win7 for games, the other for Kubuntu for daily use ;)