Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Linda

Default Problem in Mounting NFS

Ted,

Don't know if this will help you but here are my cheat notes for the NFS
set up I use

typing man exports at a terminal prompt will give you all off the
information on options for exports

Setting up NFS

Add files you want to share to /etc/exports

/usr/local/lib/letters 192.168.1.2 (rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

Then run the command

exportfs -ra

On the client

mount 192.168.1.1:/usr/local/ib/letters /usr/local/lib/letters

(Mount point must exsist!

To allow users to mount nfs try a line like something like this in
/etc/fstab :

hostname:/home/foo /mount-point/nfs-foo nfs noauto,users,rw,hard,intr 0 0

Substitute IP numbers of course, if needed.

Good luck
Linda

Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Ted Hilts <ehilts@mcsnet.ca> wrote:

> I began with the command:
> "sudo mount -F nfs star:/ted /Mted-star"
>
> I was careful to do:
> sudo mkdir /Mted-star and sudo mkdir /ted.
>
> then I checked "ps -A | grep "nfs"
> and found nfsiod, nfsdr, and multiple intances of nfsd.
>
> after that I built /etc/rc.conf as there was no file and put in it the
> contnets:
> rpcbind_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
> mountd_flage="-r"
>
> Still not workinging so I checked the /etc/exports file which had some
> examples but all commented and I was not sure what would be the next
> step if any.
>
> Also, I tried reinstalling a number of routines.
>
> Still unable to do the mount.
>
> I have not yet looked at the client side of things.

I don't think that "/etc/rc.conf" will have any effect on Ubuntu.

Take a look at "/etc/default/nfs-common" for nfs server options.

Otherwise, Linda's email's a good guide.