Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Bill Wright

Default drive change

how can i change hard drives to another and retain o/s and data

Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Alan Pope

On 28 September 2010 23:08, Bill Wright <pegasus@sc.rr.com> wrote:
> how can i change hard drives to another and retain o/s and data

Two ways, and two tools I have used recently.

1) Attach both disks, boot off a CD or USB key and use a tool (see
below) to copy from one to the other (making sure you copy the right
direction)
2) Boot from a CD or USB key with only the original disk attached and
backup to some other source (external USB disk, or network device),
then swap the old disk for the new one, and restore the backup.

The first tool I've used to do this is clonezilla. Boot off USB stick
and it has a "disk to disk" copy (for 1) above) option, and also a
"disk to image" and "image to disk" options (for 2) above).
Alternatively I've used GParted which comes on the Ubuntu CD and I
only found out recently it has a "copy/paste" option to copy a
partition from one disk to another. I suspect that you'd probably need
to do some work to get grub reinstalled on the new disk with the
gparted method, so using clonezilla is probably easiest.

Al.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Doug

On 9/28/2010 6:08 PM, Bill Wright wrote:
> how can i change hard drives to another and retain o/s and data

MIRAY.DE HDCLONE. Free version and various pay versions with
greater capability. Latest version as of early August 2010 is 3.9.
Self-booting CD, which you download in .iso form and burn yourself.

I used this to copy a laptop hd to a large flash-drive, and then
copied the flash drive to a much bigger drive I replaced in the
laptop. It copied WinXP plus 2 Linux partitions perfectly.
But see note, below.

(I bought the flash-drive before the prices became ridiculous.)

But if you are just copying one drive to a bigger one in a
desktop machine, it should work with no problem, or if you have
an external hd that you can plug in by usb or something, that will
work also.

Note: Do not let it make any "improvements" as you go. Do a strict
one-to-one copy, and ignore suggestions it makes! The so-called
improvements will make the new drive unbootable. You've been warned!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 PM
NoOp

On 09/28/2010 03:08 PM, Bill Wright wrote:
> how can i change hard drives to another and retain o/s and data

Similar to what Alan suggests:

1. Power down & connect both drives.[1]
2. Boot to the Ubuntu liveCD (live use mode, not install mode) - do
*not* mount the drives.
3. Open gparted (System|Administration|gparted) and use the copy
function to copy from the old drive to the new. Note: this will
effectively do the same as if you were to use dd from the terminal to do
the copy and will copy bit for bit).
4. Exit the liveCD, power down, disconnect the old drive, make sure that
the new drive jumpers are properly set (Master) & power up with the new
drive. Immediately go to bios & make sure that the drive is showing up
properly etc.
5. Continue to boot to the new drive & you should be good to go.

Note: if you plan to use the old drive in the same machine as well need
to change the UUID of the old drive so that it doesn't conflict with the
drive that you just mirrored/copied, see:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/202144>

[1] If it is not possible to connect both drives in the same machine
(for example if it is a laptop drive & you are installing to a desktop
drive), I use a nifty usb-sata-ide adapter from vantec:
<http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/266>
to connect via USB. Well worth the small investment IMO.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 AM
sdavmor

On 09/28/2010 04:27 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 03:08 PM, Bill Wright wrote:
>> how can i change hard drives to another and retain o/s and data
>>

> Similar to what Alan suggests:
>
> 1. Power down& connect both drives.[1]
> 2. Boot to the Ubuntu liveCD (live use mode, not install mode) - do
> *not* mount the drives.
> 3. Open gparted (System|Administration|gparted) and use the copy
> function to copy from the old drive to the new. Note: this will
> effectively do the same as if you were to use dd from the terminal to do
> the copy and will copy bit for bit).
> 4. Exit the liveCD, power down, disconnect the old drive, make sure that
> the new drive jumpers are properly set (Master)& power up with the new
> drive. Immediately go to bios& make sure that the drive is showing up
> properly etc.
> 5. Continue to boot to the new drive& you should be good to go.
>
> Note: if you plan to use the old drive in the same machine as well need
> to change the UUID of the old drive so that it doesn't conflict with the
> drive that you just mirrored/copied, see:
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/202144>
>
> [1] If it is not possible to connect both drives in the same machine
> (for example if it is a laptop drive& you are installing to a desktop
> drive), I use a nifty usb-sata-ide adapter from vantec:
> <http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/266>
> to connect via USB. Well worth the small investment IMO.

I have to do this fairly often for customers. I use the bootable
GParted CD. It works very well.
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 09-29-2010, 03:32 AM
NoOp

On 09/28/2010 07:18 PM, sdavmor wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 04:27 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 09/28/2010 03:08 PM, Bill Wright wrote:
>>> how can i change hard drives to another and retain o/s and data
>>>

>> Similar to what Alan suggests:
>>
>> 1. Power down& connect both drives.[1]
>> 2. Boot to the Ubuntu liveCD (live use mode, not install mode) - do
>> *not* mount the drives.
>> 3. Open gparted (System|Administration|gparted) and use the copy
>> function to copy from the old drive to the new. Note: this will
>> effectively do the same as if you were to use dd from the terminal to do
>> the copy and will copy bit for bit).
>> 4. Exit the liveCD, power down, disconnect the old drive, make sure that
>> the new drive jumpers are properly set (Master)& power up with the new
>> drive. Immediately go to bios& make sure that the drive is showing up
>> properly etc.
>> 5. Continue to boot to the new drive& you should be good to go.
>>
>> Note: if you plan to use the old drive in the same machine as well need
>> to change the UUID of the old drive so that it doesn't conflict with the
>> drive that you just mirrored/copied, see:
>> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/202144>
>>
>> [1] If it is not possible to connect both drives in the same machine
>> (for example if it is a laptop drive& you are installing to a desktop
>> drive), I use a nifty usb-sata-ide adapter from vantec:
>> <http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/266>
>> to connect via USB. Well worth the small investment IMO.
>
> I have to do this fairly often for customers. I use the bootable
> GParted CD. It works very well.

And do you see any difference between that and the gparted provided on
the Ubuntu liveCD? There should not be any difference.

Most folks will have an Ubuntu liveCD already burned for their version.
Why go and burn a new GParted CD when you already have gparted on the
Ubuntu liveCD? Ditto for Doug's suggestion of MIRAY.DE HDCLONE.

And if all else, simply boot the liveCD and do a dd if you wish, but
using gparted from the liveCD is considerably easier for those that wish
to use a GUI.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Bill Wright

I want to mount a larger drive in this computer. How can I go about
transferring everything on my present drive to a larger. I want to avoid
reinstalling the entire system to a new drive.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Josh Smith

Bill,If you want to add this larger drive to your system and mount it as storage for your home directory or etc. you will just need to mount it somewhere temporarily, copy the data then adjust your fstab to mount it automatically at its*permanent*location. *

If you are looking to replace your existing drive with this larger one perhaps the easiest way to do things is to use dpkg -l or something similar to dump a list of your currently installed packages, reinstall the OS and then*reinstall*all of your packages and copy your configuration files and personal data (home directories) from the older drive. *

I have used both approaches in the past with success depending on my goals.
--*Josh Smith
KD8HRX
email/jabber:* juicewvu@gmail.com

phone:* 304.237.9369(c)

Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Josh Smith <juicewvu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill,
> If you want to add this larger drive to your system and mount it as storage
> for your home directory or etc. you will just need to mount it somewhere
> temporarily, copy the data then adjust your fstab to mount it automatically
> at its*permanent*location.

You also need to update-grub on the new drive and either make sure it
is looking for the right UUID or temporarily turn off UUID checking to
boot to the new disk.

It also makes a difference which release you are running.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Bill Wright

I actually want to remove my current drive which is 30GB and replace
it with 200GB or so. Unlike windows I have software and a device
that will move everything on drive 1 to drive 2.

Backing up the packages and data is not a big problem and I will
reinstall the OS.

Thanks for* your input Josh,

Bill /* W4NVC

*

If you are looking to replace your existing drive with this
larger one perhaps the easiest way to do things is to use dpkg
-l or something similar to dump a list of your currently
installed packages, reinstall the OS and then*reinstall*all of
your packages and copy your configuration files and personal
data (home directories) from the older drive. *

I have used both approaches in the past with success
depending on my goals.

--*