Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 PM
andy baxter

Default off: here's a small news flash for MS Products Users

Richard wrote:
> Well, for those of you whom use Microsoft Products... at work.<sick>
>
> this might change you mind....(to push linux even more)
> http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3193480.ece

The paper was talking about this just as a human rights issue, but this
isn't the whole point to me. Yes it's intrusive on a personal level, but
it also points, I would have thought, to broader problems in our
society, and with the technological imagination of companies like
microsoft. The only kind of company who would want to use this, I would
have thought, is one where trust between management and workers is
non-existent, and the management want to squeeze every last bit of
productivity out of people who probably shouldn't be so stressed in the
first place. Which is more of a social/political issue than a
technological one. What does it say about MS and the companies who might
be attracted to this kind of 'solution' that they see the research
leading to this as a useful contribution to the world's knowledge?
(Answers in words of more than 4 letters...)

Old 01-21-2008, 06:41 PM
thomas fisher

On Monday 21 January 2008 10:51:24 andy baxter wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Well, for those of you whom use Microsoft Products... at work.<sick>
> >
> > this might change you mind....(to push linux even more)
> > http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3193480.
> >ece
>
> The paper was talking about this just as a human rights issue, but this
> isn't the whole point to me. Yes it's intrusive on a personal level, but
> it also points, I would have thought, to broader problems in our
> society, and with the technological imagination of companies like
> microsoft. The only kind of company who would want to use this, I would
> have thought, is one where trust between management and workers is
> non-existent, and the management want to squeeze every last bit of
> productivity out of people who probably shouldn't be so stressed in the
> first place. Which is more of a social/political issue than a
> technological one. What does it say about MS and the companies who might
> be attracted to this kind of 'solution' that they see the research
> leading to this as a useful contribution to the world's knowledge?
> (Answers in words of more than 4 letters...)

With the degree that fascism has been adapted into the mainstream
of "modern" behavior this becomes a new key to really control everyone by a
select few. I suspect such technology already is deployed under the auspices
of " national security" with non but a few being privy to it.
"They" become "god!"
Work place control. Voting machines. Airport security. Job interviews.
School administration. National borders. Police interrogations. Prison
administration. Probably in due time traffic intersection scans, and of
course by that time license plates will contain chips. Orwell was right on
target. Erich Fromm's book titled "Escape from Freedom" is a very
enlightening read.
Onward into hell
Tom

Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 PM
andy baxter

thomas fisher wrote:
> On Monday 21 January 2008 10:51:24 andy baxter wrote:
>
>> Richard wrote:
>>
>>> Well, for those of you whom use Microsoft Products... at work.<sick>
>>>
>>> this might change you mind....(to push linux even more)
>>> http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3193480.
>>> ece
>>>
>> The paper was talking about this just as a human rights issue, but this
>> isn't the whole point to me. Yes it's intrusive on a personal level, but
>> it also points, I would have thought, to broader problems in our
>> society, and with the technological imagination of companies like
>> microsoft. The only kind of company who would want to use this, I would
>> have thought, is one where trust between management and workers is
>> non-existent, and the management want to squeeze every last bit of
>> productivity out of people who probably shouldn't be so stressed in the
>> first place. Which is more of a social/political issue than a
>> technological one. What does it say about MS and the companies who might
>> be attracted to this kind of 'solution' that they see the research
>> leading to this as a useful contribution to the world's knowledge?
>> (Answers in words of more than 4 letters...)
>>

> With the degree that fascism has been adapted into the mainstream
> of "modern" behavior this becomes a new key to really control everyone by a
> select few. I suspect such technology already is deployed under the auspices
> of " national security" with non but a few being privy to it.
> "They" become "god!"
> Work place control. Voting machines. Airport security. Job interviews.
> School administration. National borders. Police interrogations. Prison
> administration. Probably in due time traffic intersection scans, and of
> course by that time license plates will contain chips. Orwell was right on
> target. Erich Fromm's book titled "Escape from Freedom" is a very
> enlightening read.
> Onward into hell
> Tom

I'm not that pessimistic. I reckon there's a limit to how much a few
people can control the behaviour of everyone else before the systems of
control and manipulation collapse under their own weight.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Richard

On Monday 21 January 2008 3:38:48 pm andy baxter wrote:
> thomas fisher wrote:

> >> The paper was talking about this just as a human rights issue, but this
> >> isn't the whole point to me. Yes it's intrusive on a personal level, but
> >> it also points, I would have thought, to broader problems in our
> >> society, and with the technological imagination of companies like
> >> microsoft. The only kind of company who would want to use this, I would
> >> have thought, is one where trust between management and workers is
> >> non-existent, and the management want to squeeze every last bit of
> >> productivity out of people who probably shouldn't be so stressed in the
> >> first place. Which is more of a social/political issue than a
> >> technological one. What does it say about MS and the companies who might
> >> be attracted to this kind of 'solution' that they see the research
> >> leading to this as a useful contribution to the world's knowledge?
> >> (Answers in words of more than 4 letters...)
> >
> > With the degree that fascism has been adapted into the mainstream
> > of "modern" behavior this becomes a new key to really control everyone by
> > a select few. I suspect such technology already is deployed under the
> > auspices of " national security" with non but a few being privy to it.
> > "They" become "god!"
> > Work place control. Voting machines. Airport security. Job interviews.
> > School administration. National borders. Police interrogations. Prison
> > administration. Probably in due time traffic intersection scans, and of
> > course by that time license plates will contain chips. Orwell was right
> > on target. Erich Fromm's book titled "Escape from Freedom" is a very
> > enlightening read.
> > Onward into hell
> > Tom
>
> I'm not that pessimistic. I reckon there's a limit to how much a few
> people can control the behaviour of everyone else before the systems of
> control and manipulation collapse under their own weight.

I guess, the point is that big brother, whom ever, could say..HEY Joe,
your output today was only 98.9%, and not 110%, YOUR Fired.

Thats just the tip of the icing....on the cake
Rich

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
andy baxter

Richard wrote:
> On Monday 21 January 2008 3:38:48 pm andy baxter wrote:
>
>> thomas fisher wrote:

>>> With the degree that fascism has been adapted into the mainstream
>>> of "modern" behavior this becomes a new key to really control everyone by
>>> a select few. I suspect such technology already is deployed under the
>>> auspices of " national security" with non but a few being privy to it.
>>> "They" become "god!"
>>> Work place control. Voting machines. Airport security. Job interviews.
>>> School administration. National borders. Police interrogations. Prison
>>> administration. Probably in due time traffic intersection scans, and of
>>> course by that time license plates will contain chips. Orwell was right
>>> on target. Erich Fromm's book titled "Escape from Freedom" is a very
>>> enlightening read.
>>> Onward into hell
>>> Tom
>>>
>> I'm not that pessimistic. I reckon there's a limit to how much a few
>> people can control the behaviour of everyone else before the systems of
>> control and manipulation collapse under their own weight.
>>

> I guess, the point is that big brother, whom ever, could say..HEY Joe,
> your output today was only 98.9%, and not 110%, YOUR Fired.

Or - 'we have been looking at your record and think you might benefit
from attending our workplace productivity enhancement seminars... for
your own benefit of course...'

My point wasn't that there's nothing to worry about, just that it's not
quite as black as the previous poster was saying, IMHO. If the
government and corporations had complete control over the population,
then linux wouldn't exist at all, but it does, partly I think because
people just don't like working in that sort of environment. I.e. people
are willing to put work into linux partly because free software projects
aren't run in that sort of way.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 PM
"Steve T"

On Jan 21, 2008 3:12 PM, andy baxter <andy@earthsong.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
> Or - 'we have been looking at your record and think you might benefit
> from attending our workplace productivity enhancement seminars... for
> your own benefit of course...'

Or (this is just funnin' now. Don't take it seriously.) - "Ms.
Smith, during one of our routine biometric scans of you while you were
working, we noticed that you have just
a). become pregnant (will you be wanting time off in 9 months?)
b). gotten cancer (your health insurance has just been canceled)
c). contracted an STD (you should be more careful)

Also, while observing your facial features at work, we have found that
you are suffering from depression. You are now on double secret
probation. And while checking on your internet and phone usage at
your home, we have noticed that you are a
a) Liberal (you need to be more careful what you say about our President)
b) Conservative (you need to be more careful what you say about Liberals)
c) Moderate (your doing fine. Keep up the good work.)

--
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act!"
-- George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair)