Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 PM
thomas fisher

Default apt-cache unmet { unmet dependencies }

In reading the manual on apt-cache and checking it out I ran
" apt-cache umet ". I was totally unprepared for the long list of unmets.
Some appear to be not very critical { obscure fonts }. Is there a quick method
of filtering this long list so that only the more critical dependencies can
be dealt with?
Tom

apt-cache - APT package handling utility -- cache manipulator
DESCRIPTION
apt-cache performs a variety of operations on APT’s package cache.
apt-cache does not manipulate the state of the system but does provide
operations to search and generate interesting output from the package
metadata.

unmet
unmet displays a summary of all unmet dependencies in the package
cache.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
"Gérard BIGOT"

In reading the manual on apt-cache and checking it out I ran
" apt-cache umet ". I was totally unprepared for the long list of unmets.
Some appear to be not very critical { obscure fonts }. Is there a quick method

of filtering this long list so that only the more critical dependencies can
be dealt with?
Tom

Erh, are you aware it's about all repositories you enabled?

You don't have installed all those different languages of
openoffice.org ...

G.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
andy baxter

thomas fisher wrote:
> In reading the manual on apt-cache and checking it out I ran
> " apt-cache umet ". I was totally unprepared for the long list of unmets.
> Some appear to be not very critical { obscure fonts }. Is there a quick method
> of filtering this long list so that only the more critical dependencies can
> be dealt with?
> Tom
>
> apt-cache - APT package handling utility -- cache manipulator
> DESCRIPTION
> apt-cache performs a variety of operations on APT’s package cache.
> apt-cache does not manipulate the state of the system but does provide
> operations to search and generate interesting output from the package
> metadata.
>
> unmet
> unmet displays a summary of all unmet dependencies in the package
> cache.

If you still want to do this, I got the following shell script to work
(I wanted to practice my scripting...):
apt-cache unmet | (p="" ;while read n l ; do if [ "$n" == "Package" ] ;
then p="$n $l" ; else if [ "$n" != "Suggests:" ] && [ "$n" !=
"Recommends:" ] ; then echo $p; echo $n $l ; fi ;fi;done) |less

It filters out the 'suggests' and 'recommends' dependencies. But as
gerard pointed out, it might not tell you what you thought it did.