Old 09-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Chris G

Default Installing Ubuntu on a machine with Windows on it - dual boot?

I'm a long time Linux user and most of our machines here run Xubuntu
10.04 with Windows XP running as a guest in Virtualbox when we need MS
Word and such.

However I'm thinking a really real Windows XP would sometimes be
useful. I'm about to put Xubuntu on a new netbook (Acer) which has XP
Home on it at the moment. When I install Xubuntu will I be offerered
the option of shrinking the XP partition and installing Xubuntu
alongside it or do I have to do something special to get this to
happen?

There's nothing significant/important on the XP installation so if it
all goes pear shaped it's not a disaster.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Alan Pope

On 28 September 2010 12:36, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> However I'm thinking a really real Windows XP would sometimes be
> useful. *I'm about to put Xubuntu on a new netbook (Acer) which has XP
> Home on it at the moment. *When I install Xubuntu will I be offerered
> the option of shrinking the XP partition and installing Xubuntu
> alongside it or do I have to do something special to get this to
> happen?

That's actually the default. It will offer to split the disk up and
give you a slider to choose how much of of the windows partition to
steal for Xubuntu.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:04:19PM +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 28 September 2010 12:36, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > However I'm thinking a really real Windows XP would sometimes be
> > useful. *I'm about to put Xubuntu on a new netbook (Acer) which has XP
> > Home on it at the moment. *When I install Xubuntu will I be offerered
> > the option of shrinking the XP partition and installing Xubuntu
> > alongside it or do I have to do something special to get this to
> > happen?
> >

> That's actually the default. It will offer to split the disk up and
> give you a slider to choose how much of of the windows partition to
> steal for Xubuntu.

I sort of remembered that this might be so, thanks for confirming it
for me. :-)

--
Chris Green

Old 09-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Kai Presler-Marshall

TBH I'd just install Ubuntu.* I put Xubuntu on a PentM Thinkpad I have, and I must say that XFCE is very irritating to use when compared to GNOME.* Not unusable, but GNOME isn't really much slower, and is far more fully-featured

I run Ubuntu on 2 systems and Xubuntu on another, and vastly prefer Ubuntu

Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Liam Proven

On 28 September 2010 16:02, Kai Presler-Marshall <kaipresler@gmail.com> wrote:
> TBH I'd just install Ubuntu.* I put Xubuntu on a PentM Thinkpad I have, and
> I must say that XFCE is very irritating to use when compared to GNOME.

Concur.

> Not
> unusable, but GNOME isn't really much slower, and is far more fully-featured

Yes, agreed.

> I run Ubuntu on 2 systems and Xubuntu on another, and vastly prefer Ubuntu

I have put Xubuntu on several systems in the past. Eventually I
removed it from all of them. The differences may be small but they are
irritating. For instance, two things that I found very annoying:
- no progress bars on file operations (so, no way to cancel them);
- no way to lock items onto the panel(s).

If Xubuntu was significantly lighter-weight than the "real thing",
fine, but it's not. Maybe it once was but not now.

I am now trying Lubuntu, with LXDE, which is *significantly*
lighter-weight than GNOME. Lubuntu runs quite happily on a test
machine with a P4 and 256MB RAM, which I would expect to rather
struggle with GNOME and a couple of apps open. Once installed and
patched, Lubuntu was fast & responsive on this system - it has enough
CPU power, just not enough RAM. It's not quite as polished as Ubuntu -
e.g. I have not yet found an updater applet - but it is close enough
for jazz. It ditches Firefox for Chromium, OpenOffice for Abiword &
Gnumeric (from GNOME Office, ironically) and so on. More radical
choice of apps than Xubuntu, in other words.