Old 09-28-2010, 03:37 AM
Christopher Chan

Default Every time I install -- same problem

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:14 AM, Ted Hilts wrote:
> 1. Every time I install SAMBA and its components I get "Server
> requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled". I
> can't bring up any kind of a samba session. Also, I get 2 other error
> messages noted below. One is about lp_bool and the other after I provide
> my password. I am running on Ubuntu LUCID. In the smb file there seems
> to be a lot of PAM lines -- I don't know if that is significant to what
> appears to be a password type conflict between this problematic computer
> and the other computers which are also Ubuntu. I don't use encryption on
> the computers just text for passwords and so I guess the problem is just
> that but I cannot get samba to behave even when the Samba GUI says there
> is no encryption -- the error says just the opposite.

Windows XP and above do not allow plain text passwords by default.
That's the reason for the first error I read your problem correctly.

Try setting 'encrypt passwords = true' and see if the first error goes away.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Ted Hilts <ehilts@mcsnet.ca> wrote:

[snip]

> 2. Normally I just go to a machine on another computer and copy
> the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and plug it into the new computer and make
> a few changes.

[snip]

I know it's a PITA, but you should give a quick look (at least) at:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

and make the most of the commands: testparm, smbtree, findsmb,
smbstatus and smbclent.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Ted Hilts

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 11:37 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:14 AM, Ted Hilts wrote:
> > 1. Every time I install SAMBA and its components I get "Server
> > requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled". I
> > can't bring up any kind of a samba session. Also, I get 2 other error
> > messages noted below. One is about lp_bool and the other after I provide
> > my password. I am running on Ubuntu LUCID. In the smb file there seems
> > to be a lot of PAM lines -- I don't know if that is significant to what
> > appears to be a password type conflict between this problematic computer
> > and the other computers which are also Ubuntu. I don't use encryption on
> > the computers just text for passwords and so I guess the problem is just
> > that but I cannot get samba to behave even when the Samba GUI says there
> > is no encryption -- the error says just the opposite.
>
> Windows XP and above do not allow plain text passwords by default.
> That's the reason for the first error I read your problem correctly.
>
> Try setting 'encrypt passwords = true' and see if the first error goes away.

Chris

I am now getting only one error message and it seems that all 3 Ubuntu
machines are having the same problem with each other -- somehow I missed
that I suppose because I'm moving my network into a Linux only network.

ANYWAY, the error I'm now getting from the 3 Ubuntu machines is :

"connection to (machine name) failed (Error
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)"

I used "machine nane" to refer to the 3 Ubuntu machines which are
"star", "cic2ext", and "Ubuntu".

Ted Hilts

Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Ted Hilts <ehilts@mcsnet.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 11:37 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:14 AM, Ted Hilts wrote:
>> > * 1. Every time I install SAMBA and its components I *get "Server
>> > requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled". I
>> > can't bring up any kind of a samba session. Also, I get 2 other error
>> > messages noted below. One is about lp_bool and the other after I provide
>> > my password. I am running on Ubuntu LUCID. *In the smb file there seems
>> > to be a lot of PAM lines -- I don't know if that is significant to what
>> > appears to be a password type conflict between this problematic computer
>> > and the other computers which are also Ubuntu. I don't use encryption on
>> > the computers just text for passwords and so I guess the problem is just
>> > that but I cannot get samba to behave even when the Samba GUI says there
>> > is no encryption -- the error says just the opposite.
>>
>> Windows XP and above do not allow plain text passwords by default.
>> That's the reason for the first error I read your problem correctly.
>>
>> Try setting 'encrypt passwords = true' and see if the first error goes away.
>
> I am now getting only one error message and it seems that all 3 Ubuntu
> machines are having the same problem with each other -- somehow I missed
> that I suppose because I'm moving my network into a Linux only network.
>
> ANYWAY, the error I'm now getting from the 3 Ubuntu machines is :
>
> "connection to (machine name) failed (Error
> NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)"
>
> I used "machine nane" to refer to the 3 Ubuntu machines which are
> "star", "cic2ext", and "Ubuntu".

Please run the following on the smb server and post the following on
paste.ubuntu.com
testparm -v
smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
pdbedit -Lw
netstat -ntulp | grep mbd

Old 09-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 22:45 -0600, Ted Hilts wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 11:37 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:14 AM, Ted Hilts wrote:
> > > 1. Every time I install SAMBA and its components I get "Server
> > > requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled". I
> > > can't bring up any kind of a samba session. Also, I get 2 other error
> > > messages noted below. One is about lp_bool and the other after I provide
> > > my password. I am running on Ubuntu LUCID. In the smb file there seems
> > > to be a lot of PAM lines -- I don't know if that is significant to what
> > > appears to be a password type conflict between this problematic computer
> > > and the other computers which are also Ubuntu. I don't use encryption on
> > > the computers just text for passwords and so I guess the problem is just
> > > that but I cannot get samba to behave even when the Samba GUI says there
> > > is no encryption -- the error says just the opposite.
> >
> > Windows XP and above do not allow plain text passwords by default.
> > That's the reason for the first error I read your problem correctly.
> >
> > Try setting 'encrypt passwords = true' and see if the first error goes away.
> >
> Chris
>
> I am now getting only one error message and it seems that all 3 Ubuntu
> machines are having the same problem with each other -- somehow I missed
> that I suppose because I'm moving my network into a Linux only network.
>
> ANYWAY, the error I'm now getting from the 3 Ubuntu machines is :
>
> "connection to (machine name) failed (Error
> NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)"
>
> I used "machine nane" to refer to the 3 Ubuntu machines which are
> "star", "cic2ext", and "Ubuntu".

If you're moving to a pure linux localnet, why not ditch samba and make
life easy?

Back in 1999, my ex's printer, attached straight to her machine with a
parallel connection, refused to print. It was embarrassing to be working
at Red Hat and have a stupid dot-matrix printer at home not working.
Finally I drug her entire setup to work at tech support and the entire
crew poured all over it for hours. One guy even opened Emacs on it, and
had scrolls of debug text cascading down multiple text windows, like in
the movie Hackers. Nada. Finally I noted a samba error. SAMBA!! I ripped
that package out, it screaming like a Mandrake root. The printer fired
right up. Go figure, she had no connection to a Windows machine in our
home. It's been on my list of evils to be avoided ever since. When you
noted "Connection Refused" that brought on the old sweats and horrors.
Linux to Linux, piece O' cake with NFS.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Thufir Hawat

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:45:39 -0600, Ted Hilts wrote:

> ANYWAY, the error I'm now getting from the 3 Ubuntu machines is :
>
> "connection to (machine name) failed (Error
> NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)"
>
> I used "machine nane" to refer to the 3 Ubuntu machines which are
> "star", "cic2ext", and "Ubuntu".

1.) how about a different browser? Lynx? Evolution? Chrome? Opera?

2.) you can always access this list via NNTP with pan

3.) can you provide more context? What's the network topology? A quick
google of that error, plust the "NT", imply this is a Samba or firewall
problem (at least terms of the error message).

3b.) how about reducing the network complexity to troubleshoot?

4.) no knoppix or DSL handy? I suppose you already said you don't have
install media, but it can't hurt to ask a silly question

HTH,

Thufir

Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Thufir Hawat

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 07:12:43 +0000, Thufir Hawat wrote:

>> "connection to (machine name) failed (Error
>> NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)"
>>
>> I used "machine nane" to refer to the 3 Ubuntu machines which are
>> "star", "cic2ext", and "Ubuntu".
>

> 1.) how about a different browser? Lynx? Evolution? Chrome? Opera?

Whoops, never mind, got my threads mixed up. Sorry.

-Thufir