Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Ted Hilts

Default Every time I install -- same problem

1. Every time I install SAMBA and its components I get "Server
requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled". I
can't bring up any kind of a samba session. Also, I get 2 other error
messages noted below. One is about lp_bool and the other after I provide
my password. I am running on Ubuntu LUCID. In the smb file there seems
to be a lot of PAM lines -- I don't know if that is significant to what
appears to be a password type conflict between this problematic computer
and the other computers which are also Ubuntu. I don't use encryption on
the computers just text for passwords and so I guess the problem is just
that but I cannot get samba to behave even when the Samba GUI says there
is no encryption -- the error says just the opposite.

2. Normally I just go to a machine on another computer and copy
the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and plug it into the new computer and make
a few changes. But every time this happens the contents seem to be
changing radically and one day changing the smb.conf file won't work
because it will be too outdated.

So I did the install of samba and as a result I got this samba GUI that
apparently was intended to make things easy by providing essential set
up or configuration information. But regardless of any and every
possible set up using this GUI I get basically the above message. Also,
I tried changing anything in the smb file that even remotely looked like
authority, security, password, etc.

I also get the message (which persists) lp_bool(enabled): value is not
boolean.

Also after giving my password I get "session setup failed: SUCCESS -0"
Sometimes (depending on options) I get an error which seems to be saying
that I am not allowed or somthing of that nature.

Anybody out there had this pain???