Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Scott Berry

Default having problems with ntfs directories on Ubuntu Maverick

Hello there,

I am trying to share a couple of directories through Nautilus that my
fiance needs. However, when I share them it tells me that I don't have
permission to share them. Here is what I do.

1. I go to the Places menu and click on computer.

2. I go to File System.

3. I then go down to File System.

4. I then go to the Home folder and click on Scott.

5. I then click on Documents and then highlight the folder click on the
Sharing when I hit the context menu key on a Windows keyboard and go
down to Sharing Options.

6. then I click on the checkbox for Sharing and then I click on the
checkbox that allows things to be modified.

At this point is when I get that I don't have the proper permissions.

I also did a Properties on this and it says it's unreadable at the
moment. I check for NTFS3G and it's there. Is there anything else I
can do?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 AM
NoOp

On 09/27/2010 06:06 PM, Scott Berry wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I am trying to share a couple of directories through Nautilus that my
> fiance needs. However, when I share them it tells me that I don't have
> permission to share them. Here is what I do.
>
> 1. I go to the Places menu and click on computer.
>
> 2. I go to File System.
>
> 3. I then go down to File System.
>
> 4. I then go to the Home folder and click on Scott.
>
> 5. I then click on Documents and then highlight the folder click on the
> Sharing when I hit the context menu key on a Windows keyboard and go
> down to Sharing Options.
>
> 6. then I click on the checkbox for Sharing and then I click on the
> checkbox that allows things to be modified.
>
> At this point is when I get that I don't have the proper permissions.
>
> I also did a Properties on this and it says it's unreadable at the
> moment. I check for NTFS3G and it's there. Is there anything else I
> can do?

Try loging out & loging back in to see if the behavior changes.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:08 AM
clanlaw

On 28 September 2010 02:06, Scott Berry <scottbb1973@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I am trying to share a couple of directories through Nautilus that my
> fiance needs. *However, when I share them it tells me that I don't have
> permission to share them. *Here is what I do.
>
> 1. *I go to the Places menu and click on computer.
>
> 2. *I go to File System.
>
> 3. *I then go down to File System.
>
> 4. *I then go to the Home folder and click on Scott.

I don't know whether it is the problem, but are you logged on as Scott
when you do this? I think you should be. (If you are I wonder why
you did not go Places, Home, but it does not matter).

Colin