FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Franz Waldmüller
 
Default evolution address book openoffice-base

Hi,

My main question:
Is there an easy way to edit the address-book of evolution in another
application e.g. openoffice-base? I would need a table like layout to
add and remove details quickly and to add some extra columns like gender
(necessary for mail-merge?). The edited database should still be usable
by evolution afterwards. If a similar solution exits for the thunderbird
address-book this would be fine, too.
Setting up a LDAP-Server just for this simple task is far to complicated
for this task. (I want that my parents pc has a robust setup which can
be reinstalled in minutes).


Why do I ask?

Recently I had some trouble with thunderbird on my parents pc, that is
why I considered to switch their email-client from thunderbird to
evolution.
I wanted to switch to evolution anyway because of easier
email-encryption and because the mail-merge functionality in openoffice
only works with evolution.

During the setup of evolution I solved the thunderbird problem. Now I am
hesitating to switch my parents to the new email client until I am not
sure that there is an easy way to edit the evolution-address-book from
another application. Or to make evolution access another address book
which I could create in openoffice-base manually.

Thanks for your help!
Franz

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 AM
NoOp
 
Default evolution address book openoffice-base

On 09/27/2010 02:50 PM, Franz Waldmüller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My main question:
> Is there an easy way to edit the address-book of evolution in another
> application e.g. openoffice-base? I would need a table like layout to
> add and remove details quickly and to add some extra columns like gender
> (necessary for mail-merge?). The edited database should still be usable
> by evolution afterwards. If a similar solution exits for the thunderbird
> address-book this would be fine, too.

You cannot edit the Berkeley DB address book in OOo Base as Base only
attaches to the DB table. You can view, create reports, query, etc., but
you cannot edit.

OOo mail merge already has a feature built into the MM wizard to add a
salutation (Mr. Mrs. etc).

> Setting up a LDAP-Server just for this simple task is far to complicated
> for this task. (I want that my parents pc has a robust setup which can
> be reinstalled in minutes).

There are additional fields in the address book that you're not likely
to use. Why not just use them for gender/salutation if you want?

>
>
> Why do I ask?
>
> Recently I had some trouble with thunderbird on my parents pc, that is
> why I considered to switch their email-client from thunderbird to
> evolution.

> I wanted to switch to evolution anyway because of easier
> email-encryption and because the mail-merge functionality in openoffice
> only works with evolution.

Well, in Ubuntu version of OOo anyway...
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/93546?comments=all>
[My bug]

However, why not just export the TB/Mozilla address book as a csv or
similar file, use OOo Calc to create a calc file and then use that in MM
and/or Base?

>
> During the setup of evolution I solved the thunderbird problem. Now I am
> hesitating to switch my parents to the new email client until I am not
> sure that there is an easy way to edit the evolution-address-book from
> another application. Or to make evolution access another address book
> which I could create in openoffice-base manually.

Evolution has some good points... but not enough for me to use it other
than testing. I personally prefer the Mozilla version of SeaMonkey (TB &
FF in one client) - note the Ubuntu version of SeaMonkey has *serious*
bugs & I would not recommend that version to anyone until the
maintainers resolve:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/575160


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org