-   -   How to create a Live USB Windows XP (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/432390-how-create-live-usb-windows-xp.html)

09-27-2010 05:35 PM

How to create a Live USB Windows XP

-----Original Message-----

From: Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>

To: Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

Sent: Mon, Sep 27, 2010 11:12 am

Subject: Re: [OT?] How to create a Live USB Windows XP

On 27 September 2010 16:47, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I know it's kinda off-topic, so please do not flame right away!
> This is the scenario:
> I have an Asus EeePC 1000HE Netbook running Ubuntu Lucid UNE. This Netbook
> is capable of booting from the internal SD card reader. I have a brand new
> 2GB SD I'd like to use as bootable Live WinXP - for those remote cases I
> need Windows, i.e.: Upgrading my Nokia N97 and Nokia E71 firmwares using
> the*proprietary Nokia Software Update (NSU). I would like to avoid the
> re-partitioning of the internal HDD and dual booting to Windows....
> I was Googling for a suitable HOWTO, but all I could find was guides for
> doing this under Windows XP / Vista / 7. I don't have access to those -that
> is all the point of the*exercise...
> Can someone direct me to a resource that*explains*how to do it under
> Ubuntu?
> I have the WinXP ISO, the SD card and Ubuntu Lucid on my Netbook and Desktop
> computers.
> Thanks!

You can't readily run XP from removable media. The LiveCD concept
doesn't really exist under Windows. You can create a bootable CD or
DVD using a tool such as BartPE (Google it) but the resultant
environment is very limited & I've never found it of much use.

WindowsXP can be ran from a USB drive and so can Windows Vista, I have both loaded and running on two USB drives which I keep in my toolkit. I will find the Article I wrote on it specifying the
procedure on how to do it...* It'll be tonight before I can get to it.* I found having WindowsXP on a USB to be handy.

Clint

Kai Presler-Marshall 09-27-2010 05:40 PM

How to create a Live USB Windows XP

That would be great, I'm also interested in doing something similar (but for a different purpose)

Amichai Rotman 09-27-2010 06:27 PM

How to create a Live USB Windows XP

How about this:
I find an external CD Drive, connect it through USB and install the system to the SD card?
Can someone tell me how to create a bootable USB Stick from the WinXP ISO so I can use it instead of a CD Drive?

Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

.:================================================ ====:.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 19:12, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 27 September 2010 16:47, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Hi all,

> I know it's kinda off-topic, so please do not flame right away!

> This is the scenario:

> I have an Asus EeePC 1000HE Netbook running Ubuntu Lucid UNE. This Netbook

> is capable of booting from the internal SD card reader. I have a brand new

> 2GB SD I'd like to use as bootable Live WinXP - for those remote cases I

> need Windows, i.e.: Upgrading my Nokia N97 and Nokia E71 firmwares using

> the*proprietary Nokia Software Update (NSU). I would like to avoid the

> re-partitioning of the internal HDD and dual booting to Windows....

> I was Googling for a suitable HOWTO, but all I could find was guides for

> doing this under Windows XP / Vista / 7. I don't have access to those -that

> is all the point of the*exercise...

> Can someone direct me to a resource that*explains*how to do it under

> Ubuntu?

> I have the WinXP ISO, the SD card and Ubuntu Lucid on my Netbook and Desktop

> computers.

> Thanks!

You can't readily run XP from removable media. The LiveCD concept

doesn't really exist under Windows. You can create a bootable CD or

DVD using a tool such as BartPE (Google it) but the resultant

environment is very limited & I've never found it of much use.

Just set aside a little bit of your HD and dual-boot. It's *vastly*

easier. I suggest using the TinyXP "distro" which you can find on

various Bittorrent indices - just be very careful to scan it

thoroughly for malware. Install the "bare" version for smallest size,

add IE and update it completely using WindowsUpdate, but avoid all the

optional bits. Remove Outlook Express, Windows Media Player & don't

let WindowsUpdate install .NET which is a space hog.

Kai Presler-Marshall 09-27-2010 06:51 PM

How to create a Live USB Windows XP

It's a major pain in the ass.* I did it on a Thinkpad X31 this past weekend in order to install XP (it doesn't have an optical drive).* I spent 2 hours fighting with it and never got it working, attached my USB DVD burner and had XP installed in under an hour.* I'd just use an optical.* But if you're dead-set on using a flash drive, just google around, there are guides ;)

Liam Proven 09-27-2010 07:28 PM

On 27 September 2010 18:35, <clintin@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> WindowsXP can be ran from a USB drive and so can Windows Vista, I have both
> loaded and running on two USB drives which I keep in my toolkit. I will find
> the Article I wrote on it specifying the procedure on how to do it...* It'll
> be tonight before I can get to it.* I found having WindowsXP on a USB to be
> handy.

News to me! Mind, I don't own a USB drive big enough, but they're
affordable enough these days. I'd have though the driver issues
insurmountable. Please do tell!