Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default How to create a Live USB Windows XP

Hi all,
I know it's kinda off-topic, so please do not flame right away!
This is the scenario:
I have an Asus EeePC 1000HE Netbook running Ubuntu Lucid UNE. This Netbook is capable of booting from the internal SD card reader. I have a brand new 2GB SD I'd like to use as bootable Live WinXP - for those remote cases I need Windows, i.e.: Upgrading my Nokia N97 and Nokia E71 firmwares using the*proprietary Nokia Software Update (NSU). I would like to avoid the re-partitioning of the internal HDD and dual booting to Windows....

I was Googling for a suitable HOWTO, but all I could find was guides for doing this under Windows XP / Vista / 7. I don't have access to those -that is all the point of the*exercise...

Can someone direct me to a resource that*explains*how to do it under Ubuntu?*
I have the WinXP ISO, the SD card and Ubuntu Lucid on my Netbook and Desktop computers.

Thanks!*
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Liam Proven

On 27 September 2010 16:47, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I know it's kinda off-topic, so please do not flame right away!
> This is the scenario:
> I have an Asus EeePC 1000HE Netbook running Ubuntu Lucid UNE. This Netbook
> is capable of booting from the internal SD card reader. I have a brand new
> 2GB SD I'd like to use as bootable Live WinXP - for those remote cases I
> need Windows, i.e.: Upgrading my Nokia N97 and Nokia E71 firmwares using
> theÂ*proprietary Nokia Software Update (NSU). I would like to avoid the
> re-partitioning of the internal HDD and dual booting to Windows....
> I was Googling for a suitable HOWTO, but all I could find was guides for
> doing this under Windows XP / Vista / 7. I don't have access to those -that
> is all the point of theÂ*exercise...
> Can someone direct me to a resource thatÂ*explainsÂ*how to do it under
> Ubuntu?
> I have the WinXP ISO, the SD card and Ubuntu Lucid on my Netbook and Desktop
> computers.
> Thanks!

You can't readily run XP from removable media. The LiveCD concept
doesn't really exist under Windows. You can create a bootable CD or
DVD using a tool such as BartPE (Google it) but the resultant
environment is very limited & I've never found it of much use.

Just set aside a little bit of your HD and dual-boot. It's *vastly*
easier. I suggest using the TinyXP "distro" which you can find on
various Bittorrent indices - just be very careful to scan it
thoroughly for malware. Install the "bare" version for smallest size,
add IE and update it completely using WindowsUpdate, but avoid all the
optional bits. Remove Outlook Express, Windows Media Player & don't
let WindowsUpdate install .NET which is a space hog.