-   -   OpenVPN and Firewall (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/432309-openvpn-firewall.html)

Ioannis Vranos 09-27-2010 02:40 PM

OpenVPN and Firewall

OS: Ubuntu 10.04 x64.

Firewall management: Firestarter.

Hi, I am using OpenVPN (TUN interface, UDP protocol) to connect to a
VPN, both in Windows Vista 32-bit and Linux x64.

Under Windows it works OK. Under Linux it works OK as long as the
firewall is disabled.

Does anyone know any solution for this kind of VPN, working with
Firestarter firewall?

Thanks a lot,

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Christopher Chan 09-27-2010 11:33 PM

OpenVPN and Firewall

On Monday, September 27, 2010 10:40 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 10.04 x64.
>
> Firewall management: Firestarter.
>

> Hi, I am using OpenVPN (TUN interface, UDP protocol) to connect to a
> VPN, both in Windows Vista 32-bit and Linux x64.
>
> Under Windows it works OK. Under Linux it works OK as long as the
> firewall is disabled.
>
> Does anyone know any solution for this kind of VPN, working with
> Firestarter firewall?

Open port 1194 for tcp. That's what openvpn uses. Oh, you use
udp...please forgive me if I wonder why you don't know what port to open
in Firestarter if you know how to switch to udp instead of the default
server configuration of tcp...

Ioannis Vranos 09-28-2010 01:19 AM

OpenVPN and Firewall

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 07:33 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Monday, September 27, 2010 10:40 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > OS: Ubuntu 10.04 x64.
> >
> > Firewall management: Firestarter.
> >

> > Hi, I am using OpenVPN (TUN interface, UDP protocol) to connect to a
> > VPN, both in Windows Vista 32-bit and Linux x64.
> >
> > Under Windows it works OK. Under Linux it works OK as long as the
> > firewall is disabled.
> >
> > Does anyone know any solution for this kind of VPN, working with
> > Firestarter firewall?
> >

> Open port 1194 for tcp. That's what openvpn uses. Oh, you use
> udp...please forgive me if I wonder why you don't know what port to open
> in Firestarter if you know how to switch to udp instead of the default
> server configuration of tcp...

I did not clarify it. I am trying to connect to a third-party VPN server
with my PC as a client. I am asking about how to configure my PC so as
to connect to the server.

As long as my PC's firewall is stopped, VPN works OK. When I start the
firewall, VPN does not work (Firefox tries to connect to a web site but
it doesn't get a response).

OpenVPN client connects OK to VPN server, both with the firewall started
and stopped.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

NoOp 09-28-2010 01:27 AM

OpenVPN and Firewall

On 09/27/2010 06:19 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 07:33 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Monday, September 27, 2010 10:40 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> > OS: Ubuntu 10.04 x64.
>> >
>> > Firewall management: Firestarter.
>> >

>> > Hi, I am using OpenVPN (TUN interface, UDP protocol) to connect to a
>> > VPN, both in Windows Vista 32-bit and Linux x64.
>> >
>> > Under Windows it works OK. Under Linux it works OK as long as the
>> > firewall is disabled.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know any solution for this kind of VPN, working with
>> > Firestarter firewall?
>> >

>> Open port 1194 for tcp. That's what openvpn uses. Oh, you use
>> udp...please forgive me if I wonder why you don't know what port to open
>> in Firestarter if you know how to switch to udp instead of the default
>> server configuration of tcp...
>

> I did not clarify it. I am trying to connect to a third-party VPN server
> with my PC as a client. I am asking about how to configure my PC so as
> to connect to the server.
>
> As long as my PC's firewall is stopped, VPN works OK. When I start the
> firewall, VPN does not work (Firefox tries to connect to a web site but
> it doesn't get a response).
>

> OpenVPN client connects OK to VPN server, both with the firewall started
> and stopped.

Perhaps these will help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VPNClient
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenVPN