FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 AM
David Fletcher
 
Default File decryption

Here's something I wanted to do last night - get Gnome to decrypt a file.

With KDE I just install kgpg and from then on I can right-click on a file and
either encrypt or decrypt it. How do I do this in Ubuntu Lucid? Google has
not revealed any answer to me.

Dave

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Michael Kadzioch
 
Default File decryption

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



Am 27.09.2010 10:07, schrieb David Fletcher:
> Here's something I wanted to do last night - get Gnome to decrypt a file.
>
> With KDE I just install kgpg and from then on I can right-click on a file and
> either encrypt or decrypt it. How do I do this in Ubuntu Lucid? Google has
> not revealed any answer to me.
>
> Dave
>


Try encfs and cryptkeeper (gui for encfs). It works fine on mx desktop!


- --
Michael Kadzioch

michael_kadzioch@gmx.de
http://www.kadzioch.net
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkygU6AACgkQMmEdrraEWBnakQCfdM/IvqKqLiAboysB/epjw5tI
r6AAmwZRTgcb5q61RT8ohSCzifYRREDP
=ch5L
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM
David Fletcher
 
Default File decryption

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 10:19 +0200, Michael Kadzioch wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
>
> Am 27.09.2010 10:07, schrieb David Fletcher:
> > Here's something I wanted to do last night - get Gnome to decrypt a file.
> >
> > With KDE I just install kgpg and from then on I can right-click on a file and
> > either encrypt or decrypt it. How do I do this in Ubuntu Lucid? Google has
> > not revealed any answer to me.
> >
> > Dave
> >
>
>
> Try encfs and cryptkeeper (gui for encfs). It works fine on mx desktop!
>

I tried it but it looks like it's meant to work with directories not
individual files.

Surely this can't be difficult?

Dave



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM
David Fletcher
 
Default File decryption

The conclusion I am starting to reach here is:-

Although I would like to no longer be dependant on KDE, certain basic, ease of
use facilities like a gui to work with gpg secured files and fully functional
message filtering in email clients which at present make my life easy, don't
exist in Ubuntu.

Is this a fair conclusion or are the people who could answer my questions away
on vacation?

Dave

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Rashkae
 
Default File decryption

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 10:19 +0200, Michael Kadzioch wrote:
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>>
>>
>> Am 27.09.2010 10:07, schrieb David Fletcher:
>>> Here's something I wanted to do last night - get Gnome to decrypt a file.
>>>
>>> With KDE I just install kgpg and from then on I can right-click on a file and
>>> either encrypt or decrypt it. How do I do this in Ubuntu Lucid? Google has
>>> not revealed any answer to me.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>>
>> Try encfs and cryptkeeper (gui for encfs). It works fine on mx desktop!
>>
>
> I tried it but it looks like it's meant to work with directories not
> individual files.
>
> Surely this can't be difficult?
>
> Dave

Not difficult, but wins my vote for best kept secret.

You need to install the seahorse-plugins (seahorse is the Gnome GPG
front-ent. the plugins package has misc. extras, including the right
click menu Encrypt / Sign options. You'll have to log out of gnome and
back in for the new right click menus to take effect. Go to Accessories
menu "Passwords and Encryption Keys" to create/import your keys.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Rashkae
 
Default File decryption

David Fletcher wrote:
> The conclusion I am starting to reach here is:-
>
> Although I would like to no longer be dependant on KDE, certain basic, ease of
> use facilities like a gui to work with gpg secured files and fully functional
> message filtering in email clients which at present make my life easy, don't
> exist in Ubuntu.
>

I must have missed the thread about email filtering.. what kind of
filtering could you possibly need that is not catered to by either
Thundebird or Evolution... For that matter, if you like Kmail, nothing
says you can't use it in any desktop environment you fancy.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM
NoOp
 
Default File decryption

On 09/27/2010 01:07 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
> Here's something I wanted to do last night - get Gnome to decrypt a file.
>
> With KDE I just install kgpg and from then on I can right-click on a file and
> either encrypt or decrypt it. How do I do this in Ubuntu Lucid? Google has
> not revealed any answer to me.

$ sudo apt-get install seahorse-plugins
$ nautilus -q
$ nautilius &

Right click on a file and you should now see the 'encrypt/decrypt' in
the menu. Nautilus uses seahorse (Applications|Accessories|'Password and
Encryption Keys').
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto






--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
David Fletcher
 
Default File decryption

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 12:56 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> $ sudo apt-get install seahorse-plugins
> $ nautilus -q
> $ nautilius &
>
> Right click on a file and you should now see the 'encrypt/decrypt' in
> the menu. Nautilus uses seahorse (Applications|Accessories|'Password and
> Encryption Keys').
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto
>
>
That explains why I as a new user couldn't find the application to do
what I need - no mention of gpg in the name.

It appears to have worked now, thanks.

Dave



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM
David Fletcher
 
Default File decryption

On Monday 27 Sep 2010, NoOp wrote:
> $ sudo apt-get install seahorse-plugins
> $ nautilus -q
> $ nautilius &
>
> Right click on a file and you should now see the 'encrypt/decrypt' in
> the menu. Nautilus uses seahorse (Applications|Accessories|'Password and
> Encryption Keys').
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto
>
As I said last night, that now appears to be working.

The odd thing is, that the encrypted file is a .tar.gz.asc which was copied
from a USB flash drive. Decrypting it results in a .tar.gz file. When I apply

tar -xvf filename.tar.gz

to this file on the system I'm playing with tar gives me error messages -
can't remember exactly what they were. It's an old system that was given to
me with a 20GB ATA drive and ME installed on it. I replaced the motherboard
with a fanless Via mini-ITX unit that was reliably running 24/7 in a server
before I upgraded it a few weeks ago. The main reason for replacing the
motherboard is that it has more memory than the original.

When I take the same decrypted tar.gz file back to my desktop machine on a
flash drive and again run tar -xvf on it, it unpacks without errors.

Is there any chance the errors could be caused by the ancient hard drive? I've
also got the 80GB SATA hard drive that was running in the server with the Via
board. I might try putting that in the old machine and doing another install
but I've got other things that I really ought to be progressing right now.

I guess I should also try the tar operation with my laptop.

This sort of thing worries me a little, because that tar file is my backup of
my home directory, which includes the home directory of my server with all my
email messages.

Dave

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 AM
David Fletcher
 
Default File decryption

Tried the unpack on the laptop (running Kubuntu Hardy) - no errors.

Did it on the old machine again to compare. It appears to get to the end of
the tar file but then gives the same error message:-

tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Tried searching google. It produces hits of course but nothing relevant to me.
Somebody suggested that it might be out of storage space but there is plenty.

I might try replacing the hard drive with a SATA unit and see if it works any
better.

Dave

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org