Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Doug

Default disable touchpad when mouse is plugged in

I have some directions from "Just Another Lazy Blogger: Auto Disable
Synaptic Touch in Ubuntu Hardy"

http://patanachai.blogspot.com/2009/02/auto-disable-synaptic-touch-in-ubuntu.html

Anyway, this instruction was supposed to disable the touchpad when the
mouse is plugged in.
Unfortunately, it was for an Ubuntu release named "Hardy" which seems to
have been current in early 2009, and must have had some files that
10.04.1 doesn't, like /etc/X11/xorg.conf and SHMconfig. The
instructions consist of modifying these files, and adding one.

Does anyone know how to do this in the current environment?

To any devs reading here: this would be real nice to have as an option
in the system. PCLINUXOS has it.

Finally, is all this going to be obsolete if and when I upgrade in the
coming weeks when the next version of Ubuntu comes out?

thanx--doug

Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 AM
chris

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 01:25 -0400, Doug wrote:
> I have some directions from "Just Another Lazy Blogger: Auto Disable
> Synaptic Touch in Ubuntu Hardy"
>
> http://patanachai.blogspot.com/2009/02/auto-disable-synaptic-touch-in-ubuntu.html
>
> Anyway, this instruction was supposed to disable the touchpad when the
> mouse is plugged in.
> Unfortunately, it was for an Ubuntu release named "Hardy" which seems to
> have been current in early 2009, and must have had some files that
> 10.04.1 doesn't, like /etc/X11/xorg.conf and SHMconfig. The
> instructions consist of modifying these files, and adding one.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this in the current environment?
>
> To any devs reading here: this would be real nice to have as an option
> in the system. PCLINUXOS has it.
>
> Finally, is all this going to be obsolete if and when I upgrade in the
> coming weeks when the next version of Ubuntu comes out?
>
> thanx--doug
>
> --
> Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley

I believe the following works

touchpad to turn off

filename
etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-touchpad.conf
type blacklist psmouse
save to /etc/modproebe.d/blacklist-touchpad.conf

reboot

turn on or off from keyboard
sudo modprobe -i psmouse
and to turn it back off while still logged in:
$ sudo modprobe -r psmouse

--
Just my 2c's worth
Cheers the kiwi