FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

Are there any media-oriented file browsers for Linux? Something that
include previews for audio and video clips, for instance.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Johnneylee Rollins
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any media-oriented file browsers for Linux? Something that
> include previews for audio and video clips, for instance.
Might want to check out Gloobus.
http://gloobus.net/

Specifically the preview.

Good luck,
~SpaceGhost

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

On Monday, September 27, 2010 06:40 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Are there any media-oriented file browsers for Linux? Something that
> include previews for audio and video clips, for instance.
>

I thought that was possible with konqueror?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

On Monday, September 27, 2010 06:40 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Are there any media-oriented file browsers for Linux? Something that

> include previews for audio and video clips, for instance.

>



I thought that was possible with konqueror?



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


What do you mean by preview? Nautilus shows you thumbnails for Pics/Videos. And if you hold your mouse over an audio clip for couple of seconds it even starts playing them. I believe that much should be more than enough. If you're talking about stuff like media Information/Codec's used etc then that should come via a plugin.

--
Regards,
Vaibhav Dalvi
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form
habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny.
- Tyron Edwards
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.


See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 00:51, Johnneylee Rollins
<johnneylee.rollins@gmail.com> wrote:
> Might want to check out Gloobus.
> http://gloobus.net/
>
> Specifically the preview.
>

Thanks. I'm not a Gnome user but I'll see if I can get it running on KDE.

> I thought that was possible with konqueror?

Konqueror has only thumbnails. Dolphin does have preview in the
Information sidepanel, but it is a pain to get over there, especially
as I have single-click enabled. I have filed some feature requests,
but nothing came of them:

Small sound file preview / playback on middle-click
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205422

Mouseover preview for sound / movie files
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207729


> What do you mean by preview? Nautilus shows you thumbnails for Pics/Videos.
> And if you hold your mouse over an audio clip for couple of seconds it even
> starts playing them.

Nautilus doesn't play audio files on hover for me, but I'm on version
2.28.1. I will take a look at later builds. Thanks!


--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

On Monday, September 27, 2010 03:41 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 00:51, Johnneylee Rollins
> <johnneylee.rollins@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Might want to check out Gloobus.
>> http://gloobus.net/
>>
>> Specifically the preview.
>>
>
> Thanks. I'm not a Gnome user but I'll see if I can get it running on KDE.
>
>> I thought that was possible with konqueror?
>
> Konqueror has only thumbnails. Dolphin does have preview in the
> Information sidepanel, but it is a pain to get over there, especially
> as I have single-click enabled. I have filed some feature requests,
> but nothing came of them:

It seems that you can get Dolphin to do video previews with mplayer and
mplayerconfigthums or something.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 11:01 PM
rikona
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

Hello Christopher,

Sunday, September 26, 2010, 7:06:43 PM, Christopher wrote:

CC> On Monday, September 27, 2010 06:40 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Are there any media-oriented file browsers for Linux? Something that
>> include previews for audio and video clips, for instance.
>>

CC> I thought that was possible with konqueror?

It is, but in the new konq it seems to be done in the same way as
Nautilus. The old konq was GREAT. Hovering over a file would bring up
a popup with a decent, usable size preview of pictures, videos, text,
pdfs, etc [never tried it with audio]. This way, you could have lots
of closely-spaced 'detail' lines in a window, and still get a large
view for any one by just hovering. I used it for organizing photos in
dirs, and liked it better than any other photo organizer tools I have
seen.

The 'new' way seems to force you to have large 'previews', which means
you can only get a few lines in a window - unless I'm missing
something about the setup. MUCH inferior to the 'old' way IMHO.

But - if there's a way to do it the 'old' way, please let me know.

--

rikona


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 PM
rikona
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

Hello Johnneylee,

Sunday, September 26, 2010, 3:51:10 PM, Johnneylee wrote:

JR> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are there any media-oriented file browsers for Linux? Something that
>> include previews for audio and video clips, for instance.
JR> Might want to check out Gloobus.
JR> http://gloobus.net/

JR> Specifically the preview.

Sounds good. Installed the lucid deb, but it doesn't seem to do
anything. What am I missing. It seems like there's a patched nautilus
for karmic, but nothing later. Does it need to be patched into a
browser? Any ideas?

--

rikona


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
NoOp
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

On 09/27/2010 04:19 PM, rikona wrote:
> Hello Johnneylee,
>
> Sunday, September 26, 2010, 3:51:10 PM, Johnneylee wrote:
>
> JR> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Are there any media-oriented file browsers for Linux? Something that
>>> include previews for audio and video clips, for instance.
> JR> Might want to check out Gloobus.
> JR> http://gloobus.net/
>
> JR> Specifically the preview.
>
> Sounds good. Installed the lucid deb, but it doesn't seem to do
> anything. What am I missing. It seems like there's a patched nautilus
> for karmic, but nothing later. Does it need to be patched into a
> browser? Any ideas?
>

Found this earlier today:
<http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/how-to-install-gloobus-preview-in.html>
You have to set up compiz with regular Nautilus, otherwise install
nautilus-elementary.
<http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/install-nautilus-elementary-230-via-ppa.html>
Note: seemed too much work to set up without nautilus-elementary & I
didn't have time to test otherwise.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 AM
rikona
 
Default Media-oriented file browser

Hello NoOp,

Monday, September 27, 2010, 4:49:23 PM, NoOp wrote:

N> On 09/27/2010 04:19 PM, rikona wrote:
>> Hello Johnneylee,
>>
>> Sunday, September 26, 2010, 3:51:10 PM, Johnneylee wrote:
>>
>> JR> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Are there any media-oriented file browsers for Linux? Something that
>>>> include previews for audio and video clips, for instance.
>> JR> Might want to check out Gloobus.
>> JR> http://gloobus.net/
>>
>> JR> Specifically the preview.
>>
>> Sounds good. Installed the lucid deb, but it doesn't seem to do
>> anything. What am I missing. It seems like there's a patched nautilus
>> for karmic, but nothing later. Does it need to be patched into a
>> browser? Any ideas?
>>

N> Found this earlier today:
N> <http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/how-to-install-gloobus-preview-in.html>
N> You have to set up compiz with regular Nautilus, otherwise install
N> nautilus-elementary.
N> <http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/install-nautilus-elementary-230-via-ppa.html>
N> Note: seemed too much work to set up without nautilus-elementary & I
N> didn't have time to test otherwise.

You're right - it is rather a it of work, and with a number of bug
citations, perhaps not the best way to go. And, even if done, it's
still not nearly as good as what was in the old konq - much faster,
easier, and no buggering with the stock S/W.

Also interesting to note the comments re 'elementary' - done to get
rid of stuff in nautilus. Can't blame them... :-) Forget the eye
candy, give me functionality. Pleeeze don't dumb it down too much.

Thanks for the note.

--

rikona


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org