Old 09-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Tapas Mishra

Default eject -t unsupported on my laptop

I am trying to close CD rom via eject -t
I get this error
eject: CD-ROM tray close command failed: Input/output error

I have tried eject -T any suggestions?
It is Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop.

--
Tapas

Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Alan Pope

On 26 Sep 2010, at 21:03, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to close CD rom via eject -t
> I get this error
> eject: CD-ROM tray close command failed: Input/output error
>
> I have tried eject -T any suggestions?
> It is Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop.

Does the drive have a motorised tray which glides all the way out or
just a latch and spring affair? If the latter then eject can't do
inserts.

Al

Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

> Does the drive have a motorised tray which glides all the way out or
> just a latch and spring affair? If the latter then eject can't do
> inserts.
>
> Al
How do I find out what you said?
It is a laptop I am not clear with what you mentioned.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Alan Pope

On 27 September 2010 11:29, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I find out what you said?

Press the 'eject' button on the laptop CDROM drive. Does it "pop" out
only slightly with a *clunk* noise, or does it gracefully slide all
the way out?

Al.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Pastor JW

On Monday, September 27, 2010 3:29:57 am Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> > Does the drive have a motorised tray which glides all the way out or
> > just a latch and spring affair? If the latter then eject can't do
> > inserts.
> >
> > Al
>
> How do I find out what you said?
> It is a laptop I am not clear with what you mentioned.

Most laptops have the kind that pop open an inch or so and you have to
actually manually pull the drawer open the rest of the way by hand. Most
desktops on the other hand usually have the type of CD tray that is extended
all the way our by a motor. This type can also usually use the motor to close
the tray. Both can use the eject command to open but only the only the full
motorized one can close via command.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403