Old 09-26-2010, 06:58 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default any tricks to boost performance of a read-only filesystem?

not specifically related to ubuntu, but i'm curious -- are there
well-known ways to pump up the performance of a filesystem that is
almost always mounted read-only?

it's well-known that, once you install everything on your system,
then you should be able to mount the /usr filesystem read only -- at
least until the next time you need to modify your installed packages.

now, for performance, once can always mount with "noatime" and
"nodiratime" and that applies to any relevant filesystem. but if your
filesystem will be mounted RO *almost* all of the time, is there a
particular choice of filesystem that will take advantage of that?

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Sun, September 26, 2010 20:58, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> not specifically related to ubuntu, but i'm curious -- are there
> well-known ways to pump up the performance of a filesystem that is
> almost always mounted read-only?
>
> it's well-known that, once you install everything on your system,
> then you should be able to mount the /usr filesystem read only -- at
> least until the next time you need to modify your installed packages.
>
> now, for performance, once can always mount with "noatime" and
> "nodiratime" and that applies to any relevant filesystem. but if your
> filesystem will be mounted RO *almost* all of the time, is there a
> particular choice of filesystem that will take advantage of that?

If you have enough RAM, you should be able to put the entire /usr in
memory. I don't know how exactly but I'm sure that Google knows.

I do something that is the opposite: I have /usr as a squashfs filesystem.

$ sudo du -ms /usr /.filesystems/usr
1396 /usr
464 /.filesystems/usr

After mounting the squashfs filesystem and deleting the old /usr I saved
932,7 MiB. This is on my netbook with an 8 GiB SSD, so that's a HUGE
improvement.
Of course it's a bit slower but I don't mind.

If you're interested, I used this as a staring point:
http://po-ru.com/diary/linux-liposuction-or-xubuntu-in-under-a-gig-on-the-eee-pc/
with a few changes.

--
Amedee