Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Basil Chupin

Default WTF?! NO floppy in Lucid or in Meerkat! -- PROGRESS REPORT

On 25/09/2010 15:53, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/09/2010 14:24, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 09/24/2010 08:05 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>

>>> This response being written on Maverick Meerkat (Beta #1) which was
>>> upgraded to latest "stuff" only 1/2 hour ago.
>>>
>>> What you suggest above works on Lucid 10.04.1 - but I have to admit that
>>> I don't know if it is the above which is doing it or the fact that I
>>> downgraded to udisks1.0.1build1 late last night. In other words, the
>>> 'test bed' has been 'contaminated' and the playing field has been changed.
>>>
>>> However, I am now in Maverick and the above does *NOT* work. And in
>>> Maverick it doesn't appear to be a way of downgrading udisks to what
>>> NoOp suggests in that bug report. I guess there must be a way but I
>>> don't know what it is and don't have the expertise to fool around with
>>> apt-get's various options.
>>>

>> Short answer as I'm off working sailing races at the moment:
>>

> Many thanks, NoOp.

[pruned]

> I'll do all this later today or early tomorrow.

OK, the old udisks (build1) downloaded and installed on Meerkat.

Works like a charm. Every floppy recognised and contents displayed.

And I have locked this version in Synatic so that it won't be upgraded
into a regressive state....

(If it is this simple, why bother to keep providing upgraded versions of
udisks for Lucid and Maverick when they don't work? Why not install
build1 as a default?

There has to be a catch in there somewhere...... or is it simply too
logical to do this?)

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Rashkae

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/09/2010 15:53, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Short answer as I'm off working sailing races at the moment:
>>>

>> Many thanks, NoOp.
>>
> [pruned]
>

>> I'll do all this later today or early tomorrow.
>>
> OK, the old udisks (build1) downloaded and installed on Meerkat.
>
> Works like a charm. Every floppy recognised and contents displayed.
>
> And I have locked this version in Synatic so that it won't be upgraded
> into a regressive state....
>
> (If it is this simple, why bother to keep providing upgraded versions of
> udisks for Lucid and Maverick when they don't work? Why not install
> build1 as a default?
>
> There has to be a catch in there somewhere...... or is it simply too
> logical to do this?)
>
> BC

As a rule of thumb, no matter how stupid it is, Ubuntu never rolls back
'progress'... You're talking about the OS that by default, was
permanently bricking several models of common SSD drives for *months*
rather than remove the optional package that was causing the issue until
upstream fixed it.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 PM
NoOp

On 09/25/2010 10:32 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/09/2010 15:53, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Short answer as I'm off working sailing races at the moment:
>>>

>> Many thanks, NoOp.
>>
> [pruned]
>

>> I'll do all this later today or early tomorrow.
>>
> OK, the old udisks (build1) downloaded and installed on Meerkat.
>
> Works like a charm. Every floppy recognised and contents displayed.
>
> And I have locked this version in Synatic so that it won't be upgraded
> into a regressive state....

Don't forget to pin for apt-get:

Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Basil Chupin

On 27/09/2010 04:45, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/25/2010 10:32 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Many thanks, NoOp.
>>>

>> [pruned]
>>

>>> I'll do all this later today or early tomorrow.
>>>

>> OK, the old udisks (build1) downloaded and installed on Meerkat.
>>
>> Works like a charm. Every floppy recognised and contents displayed.
>>
>> And I have locked this version in Synatic so that it won't be upgraded
>> into a regressive state....
>>
> Don't forget to pin for apt-get:

Done.

Many thanks again.

BC

--
Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence is called music.
Chinese proverb

Old 09-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 11:36 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

> Done.
>
> Many thanks again.

The only question on my mind is: "Are you happy now?" I'd sleep better
tonight knowing that is the case. Oh hell, that's right, you're upside
down, down there, and are just getting up? Drink coffee before
replying. Ric

p/s I'm eye-balling a floppy drive in Mom's Machine, the old P-II of
her's that I resurrected. I'm going to install it to "Iam" and try out
your resolution, just for the plain helluvit. Your quest has edified me
and has been pure entertainment.
Linux user# 44256

Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Christopher Chan

> p/s I'm eye-balling a floppy drive in Mom's Machine, the old P-II of
> her's that I resurrected. I'm going to install it to "Iam" and try out
> your resolution, just for the plain helluvit. Your quest has edified me
> and has been pure entertainment.

and I thought you were adverse to inflicting pain on yourself.

What are you going to put on it? Hardy?

Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 11:44 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > p/s I'm eye-balling a floppy drive in Mom's Machine, the old P-II of
> > her's that I resurrected. I'm going to install it to "Iam" and try out
> > your resolution, just for the plain helluvit. Your quest has edified me
> > and has been pure entertainment.
>
> and I thought you were adverse to inflicting pain on yourself.
>
> What are you going to put on it? Hardy?

Iam is my God Machine. The Big 64bit Kahlua. Not Mom's Machine, which I
turn on every so often to run Caldera installed on it. Works good! It's
really pitiful to see Netscape try to update itself though, it's the
computer equivalent of falling face first into the oatmeal. So, I turn
it off and let it just sleep. That way it won't miss the floppy. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 AM
Christopher Chan

On Monday, September 27, 2010 12:27 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 11:44 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> p/s I'm eye-balling a floppy drive in Mom's Machine, the old P-II of
>>> her's that I resurrected. I'm going to install it to "Iam" and try out
>>> your resolution, just for the plain helluvit. Your quest has edified me
>>> and has been pure entertainment.
>>
>> and I thought you were adverse to inflicting pain on yourself.
>>
>> What are you going to put on it? Hardy?
>
> Iam is my God Machine. The Big 64bit Kahlua. Not Mom's Machine, which I
> turn on every so often to run Caldera installed on it. Works good! It's
> really pitiful to see Netscape try to update itself though, it's the
> computer equivalent of falling face first into the oatmeal. So, I turn
> it off and let it just sleep. That way it won't miss the floppy. Ric

Caldera? OpenLinux? What version? 1.2? Or 2.2 with the first graphical
installer for a linux distro?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Basil Chupin

On 27/09/2010 13:39, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 11:36 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>

>> Done.
>>
>> Many thanks again.
>>
> The only question on my mind is: "Are you happy now?" I'd sleep better
> tonight knowing that is the case. Oh hell, that's right, you're upside
> down, down there, and are just getting up? Drink coffee before
> replying. Ric
>
> p/s I'm eye-balling a floppy drive in Mom's Machine, the old P-II of
> her's that I resurrected. I'm going to install it to "Iam" and try out
> your resolution, just for the plain helluvit. Your quest has edified me
> and has been pure entertainment.

I am happy from the point of view that not only do I have this floppy
drive problem solved (thanks to NoOp) but I was also able to flash the
BIOS on that infernal @#$%&^#!! ASUS motherboard.

But that's as far as my happiness goes because I cannot get that
@#$%&^#!! A7N8X 'Dee-lucks' ASUS motherboard to work as it should!

But this belongs in the other thread where I will report on the bitch
"real soon now".

BC

Old 09-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 12:31 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

> >> and I thought you were adverse to inflicting pain on yourself.
> >>
> >> What are you going to put on it? Hardy?
> >
> > Iam is my God Machine. The Big 64bit Kahlua. Not Mom's Machine, which I
> > turn on every so often to run Caldera installed on it. Works good! It's
> > really pitiful to see Netscape try to update itself though, it's the
> > computer equivalent of falling face first into the oatmeal. So, I turn
> > it off and let it just sleep. That way it won't miss the floppy. Ric
> >

> Caldera? OpenLinux? What version? 1.2? Or 2.2 with the first graphical
> installer for a linux distro?

Caldera 2.2 I was a huge user and fan of Caldera for about as long as
they were in business. Excellent user list too. We could be off-topic as
long as the subject line contained <TD> (Thread is Deteriorating) in it.
Folks could just elect to filter on it, or not. Great apps, too.
Netscape and Netscape Server were licensed and included, if you bought
the pricey CD.

Netscape Server had a beautiful graphical config. This was when apache
required using vi to edit the text config script they had. With
Netscape, just a couple of clicks and you were serving webpages. Just
that easy. Plus, you could do the same remotely on your server using
Netscape browser to admin your site from anywhere. Way ahead of it's
time.

So was Wabi. Running REAL Win3.1 installed from your own Windows
floppies on a 32bit OS was a scream. Win3.1 ran faster on Linux than it
did on DOS, naturally. Plus, they (the Wabi people, not Caldera) hooked
it into Linux TCP/IP so it worked a treat on a network. They came out
with a version for Win95 that never saw the light of day. Someone made
them an offer they couldn't refuse, I imagine. Caldera tried to bridge
the gap between FOSS and the commercial world. When Ray Noorda stepped
out of the picture, it went to hell. The man could wheel and deal.

You may wish to read this: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2076
Oh yeah, those were my days! Ric

Linux user# 44256