FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Rashkae
 
Default keeping updated

Tim Hanson wrote:
> Well folks, it has been a fun six months since downloading 10.04 for the first
> time. I was a confirmed opensuse user.
>
> Now that the next iteration is on its way, how do I save my configuration
> (i.e., so I can install the same programs I have downloaded). I don't want to
> manually reinstall everything. I would prefer to type in a command and walk
> away for a while.
>

While some people, myself included, are fans of clean install, that's
more of an old die hard habit than good advice. With Ubuntu, the update
manager will outright notify you that a new version is available, and
prompt you to press the big red button that must never be pushed...
So,,, go ahead push it, and walk away.

(I don't think the button is actually red unless you have a strange
theme going, but you get the idea.)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default keeping updated

On 26/09/2010 13:19, Tim Hanson wrote:
> Well folks, it has been a fun six months since downloading 10.04 for the first
> time. I was a confirmed opensuse user.
>
> Now that the next iteration is on its way, how do I save my configuration
> (i.e., so I can install the same programs I have downloaded). I don't want to
> manually reinstall everything. I would prefer to type in a command and walk
> away for a while.
>

You mean that you are using 10.04.1 and will be upgrading to Maverick
(10.10) in a couple of weeks?

Have you read this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community

especially the part about:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

?

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Scott Berry
 
Default keeping updated

Well unfortunately for totally blind people the update-manager does not
work but I do the next best thing. I actually change the apt sources
and do a "apt-get update" and then an"apt-get -y upgrade" and it does
the same. I don't have to worry about any apps at all they all upgrade.

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 23:38 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> Tim Hanson wrote:
> > Well folks, it has been a fun six months since downloading 10.04 for the first
> > time. I was a confirmed opensuse user.
> >
> > Now that the next iteration is on its way, how do I save my configuration
> > (i.e., so I can install the same programs I have downloaded). I don't want to
> > manually reinstall everything. I would prefer to type in a command and walk
> > away for a while.
> >
>
> While some people, myself included, are fans of clean install, that's
> more of an old die hard habit than good advice. With Ubuntu, the update
> manager will outright notify you that a new version is available, and
> prompt you to press the big red button that must never be pushed...
> So,,, go ahead push it, and walk away.
>
> (I don't think the button is actually red unless you have a strange
> theme going, but you get the idea.)
>
>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Alan Pope
 
Default keeping updated

On 26 September 2010 15:23, Scott Berry <scottbb1973@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well unfortunately for totally blind people the update-manager does not
> work but I do the next best thing. *I actually change the apt sources
> and do a "apt-get update" and then an"apt-get -y upgrade" and it does
> the same. *I don't have to worry about any apps at all they all upgrade.
>

Ok, a few things

1) You almost certainly want 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' not 'upgrade'.
2) We generally don't recommend you do a release upgrade using that
method, we recommend you use 'sudo do-release-upgrade'
3) if you want to upgrade before release date then use 'sudo
do-release-upgrade -d'

Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Tom H
 
Default keeping updated

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 26 September 2010 15:23, Scott Berry <scottbb1973@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well unfortunately for totally blind people the update-manager does not
>> work but I do the next best thing. *I actually change the apt sources
>> and do a "apt-get update" and then an"apt-get -y upgrade" and it does
>> the same. *I don't have to worry about any apps at all they all upgrade.
>
> Ok, a few things
> 1) You almost certainly want 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' not 'upgrade'.
> 2) We generally don't recommend you do a release upgrade using that
> method, we recommend you use 'sudo do-release-upgrade'
> 3) if you want to upgrade before release date then use 'sudo
> do-release-upgrade -d'

If you have the desktop version installed, you have to append "--mode
desktop" to "do-release-upgrade" because the assumed mode is "server".

It's definitely "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" or "sudo aptitude
full-upgrade" but you can't just change "/etc/apt/sources.list". This
url
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/index.en.html
describes the procedure to upgrade from the current Debian release to
the upcoming one. Although the Lucid-to-Maverick upgrade is/will be
less involved because their components' versions are closer, you'd
have to create a similar more careful approach if you were not to use
"do-release-upgrade".

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org