Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Scott Berry

Default cannot get SD card working in Ubuntu

Hello there,

I am trying to get a Windows formatted Sd HC 240HD 16GB card. When I
put it in to the card slot the light on the card reader does not turn
on. Is there any special packages I may need for this? I have
installed the mtp packages for my mp3 players but that doesn't work for
this. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:35 AM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Den 2010-09-26 01:36:47 skrev Scott Berry <scottbb1973@gmail.com>:

> Hello there,
>
> I am trying to get a Windows formatted Sd HC 240HD 16GB card. When I
> put it in to the card slot the light on the card reader does not turn
> on. Is there any special packages I may need for this? I have
> installed the mtp packages for my mp3 players but that doesn't work for
> this. Thanks for the help.

Does your card reader work with other cards or is it only that Windows
formatted one that doesn't work?

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Nils Kassube

Scott Berry wrote:
> I am trying to get a Windows formatted Sd HC 240HD 16GB card. When I
> put it in to the card slot the light on the card reader does not turn
> on.

Is your card reader SDHC capable? Older card readers can only read the
standard SD cards (max. 2GB) but not SDHC cards. Can you access the card
from Windows in that particular card reader?

Nils

Old 09-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Alan Pope

Hi Scoot,

On 26 September 2010 00:36, Scott Berry <scottbb1973@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get a Windows formatted Sd HC 240HD 16GB card. *When I
> put it in to the card slot the light on the card reader does not turn
> on. *Is there any special packages I may need for this? *I have
> installed the mtp packages for my mp3 players but that doesn't work for
> this.

What do you see in dmesg when you insert the card?

$ dmesg | tail

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Scott Berry

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 10:02 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Scott Berry wrote:
> > I am trying to get a Windows formatted Sd HC 240HD 16GB card. When I
> > put it in to the card slot the light on the card reader does not turn
> > on.
>
> Is your card reader SDHC capable? Older card readers can only read the
> standard SD cards (max. 2GB) but not SDHC cards. Can you access the card
> from Windows in that particular card reader?
>

> Nils

Nils,

yep this card reader was able to access the same card in Windows.